TV Home Forum

Memories of Regional Programmes

The pre-national days of ITV (February 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RL
Running Late
Colm posted:
The ITV Results Service bulletin came from the same studio at LWT as 'Saint and Greavsie'.

Indeed, for the first few years, the final 'World of Sport' theme and graphic sting were retained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSAIGvjlZA8

Use of the Ryley caption generator is a further hallmark from the WoS era.

Which company's CA was that at the start, not LWT?
IS
Inspector Sands

Which company's announcer was that at the start, not LWT?

HTV. The chromakey background is very distinctive.... and it says it in the title of the video Wink
RL
Running Late

HTV. The chromakey background is very distinctive.... and it says it in the title of the video Wink

Oops, missed that, thanks.
MK
Mr Kite
Colm posted:
The ITV Results Service bulletin came from the same studio at LWT as 'Saint and Greavsie'.

I must be mistaken then. Could've sworn it was included in the farewell montage Granada Reports did when they pulled out of the Albert Dock entirely on 2006. Maybe I was getting confused with Goals Extra.
CO
Coronavision

Between 1990 and 1992, Yorkshire were the only region to do a regular weekly highlights show (as they were out of fashion at the time) in the shape of Goals on Sunday, unrelated to the long-running Sky Sports show of the same name, which in half an hour included highlights of a match from the weekend (from any division) and then the goals from the region's other teams.

Really? Didn't "The Back Page" from Tyne Tees count?
WH
Whataday Founding member

And it's Caernarfon Castle in the background.
SK
Skid
Colm posted:
One of the nicer aspects of the 'Kelly' era is their frequent teaming-up with their Friday night opposition on BBC NI and RTÉ.

I remember once all three stations simulcast a performance by different choirs who featured on the individual shows; 'The Late Late Show' from Dublin (I think still in the Gaybo era), with, in Belfast, 'Kelly' on UTV and 'Children in Need' on BBC1 NI.

I have a vague memory of Bill Tarmey (aka Jack Duckworth) appearing on the Late Late Show before singing with choirs from NI in a simulcast as part of a 'Hands across the Border' link up. It might well have been that episode, Gay was definitely the presenter that night. Bill fancied himself as a singer, but he seemed like a very odd choice for that slot.
SW
Steve Williams
I know this is going off the point a bit, but Bill Tarmey was a singer before he became an actor.
SW
Steve Williams

This isn't mentioned on the ITV Regional Highlights website, but I would suggest The Back Page was a magazine show, like Granada's Kick Off, which made use of footage from the Football League and ITV Sport. Whereas Goals on Sunday was a fully-fledged, weekly highlights show, with Yorkshire arranging the OBs.
RO
robertclark125
Colm posted:

It did indeed. Saint and greavsie sat at either side of the desk, but for the results service Elton Welsby or whoever was the presenter would sit in the middle of the desk.

Stv started in 1989 their own show, scotsport results, hosted usually by ken mcrobb. Stv basically opted out of results service. Don't know if Grampian took scotsport results.
CO
Coronavision

This isn't mentioned on the ITV Regional Highlights website, but I would suggest The Back Page was a magazine show, like Granada's Kick Off, which made use of footage from the Football League and ITV Sport. Whereas Goals on Sunday was a fully-fledged, weekly highlights show, with Yorkshire arranging the OBs.

OK fair enough, although the programme did frequently (not weekly admittedly) present extended highlights in the first half,with the second half being a magazine format. I'm not sure where this footage came from, although it must be said that when the BBC showed highlights on Monday they had a prominent TTTV logo in the corner of the screen, suggesting that the footage wasn't from the FL or ITV.

The company also did quite a few Saturday/Sunday evening "Soccer Special" broadcasts during this time which were certainly TTTV OBs, complete with presentation from the ground, old-school style.
Last edited by Coronavision on 17 February 2021 4:12pm
MA
Markymark

OK fair enough, although the programme did frequently (not weekly admittedly) present extended highlights in the first half,with the second half being a magazine format. I'm not sure where this footage came from, although it must be said that when the BBC showed highlights on Monday they had a prominent TTTV logo in the corner of the screen, suggesting that the footage wasn't from the FL or ITV.

Whenever Meridian and BBC South showed each other's football highlights footage, the picture quality was awful. It was almost as if they had deliberately turned the VTR tracking control off 'optimum'

Newer posts