TV Home Forum

Nick Hewer quits Countdown

Anne Robinson announced as replacement - page 11 (December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
Anne's a great choice, very capable presenter, pulls no punches and takes no bs, and commands authority in how she speaks. My tiny concern is can she keep up with the 'relentless filming schedule'?

Also with Anne busy doing Countdown, that well and truly puts the kibosh on her making a Weakest Link revival.

TBH I think if The Weakest Link was revived, I think the BBC would opt for someone new.
RI
Richard
That really is about the worst choice they could have made. Can't see the logic in it at all.

Why? We haven't seen her do it yet.

I can't see her pulling her Weakest Link schtick on Countdown . Seeing an old fella doing anagrams while she gives him a withering look and asks him if he's wearing that tank top for a bet is probably not the route Channel 4 are hoping to take the show down.

She's done a number of 'straight' presenting roles, for example Watchdog which she was fantastic at for a number of years.

I'm certain she'll be a more than able and appropriate replacement for Nick.

I read that she was employed to do The Weakest Link straight and that she’d be able to empathise with contestants who lost etc. But they found it worked much better if she was antagonistic!
JO
Jon
The funny thing is of course she’ll be recording many more episodes per year than she ever did when she was presenting the Weakest Link. Although I imagine they record more in a day and she does get to sit down.

Anyway she’s clearly the post Whitley presenter, that makes the most sense.
JO
Jonwo
The Weakest Link format is antagonistic generally from contestants to the host, Anne's schtick worked on the show really well but it would jar on Countdown.
JO
Jon
Jonwo posted:
The Weakest Link format is antagonistic generally from contestants to the host, Anne's schtick worked on the show really well but it would jar on Countdown.

Yes, but I don’t think anyone is suggesting we’re going to see that side to her on Countdown.
DE88, bilky asko and Richard gave kudos
:-(
A former member
Should’ve been Joe Wilkinson.
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
It’s a shame Peter Sissons is no longer with us - I’m sure he would’ve loved to see Anne presenting Countdown...
JO
Johnr
Not the best quality but the interview with Anne on Steph's Packed Lunch, where she comes across as very warm but still quite witty!

IT
itvblocks
Glad to see Anne back on the telly! - She was off screen for quite a while since The Weakest Link and Watchdog.

That Peter Sissons clip is a classic Laughing
JO
Josh
It looks like they've already blocked your video Johnr. Very quick it seems.
VM
VMPhil
It’s a shame Peter Sissons is no longer with us - I’m sure he would’ve loved to see Anne presenting Countdown... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7PuKPiTT_4

The way this video just ends suddenly gets me every time
TI
TIGHazard
Josh posted:
It looks like they've already blocked your video Johnr. Very quick it seems.

A lot of YouTube blocks are automatic. It can do things like scan a third party websites database (I.E. in this case All4) for videos and block them if YouTube is asked too.

Newer posts