The Newsroom

The new NEW Central West and BBC Midlands thread

(January 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
RDJ
After not seeing Bob on ITV News Central for over a month a few days into the current lockdown after they scrapped double-headed presentation once again, Bob is back tonight filing a report about his experience receiving the vaccine.

Nice to know he’s doing well as there was no word on him after he disappeared.
London Lite and Ballyboy gave kudos
RA
radiolistener
WMD posted:
Seems to stem from this commitment:

Quote:
In radio, the BBC plans to make local and regional services “more dynamic and responsive” and build them around a definition of “local” that is determined on audience need.

It will focus on better serving audiences in the Midlands and the North of England, which have been traditionally underserved, including Bradford, Sunderland, Wolverhampton, Blackpool and Peterborough.

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/bbc-faces-125m-in-lost-income-over-covid-19-as-it-reveals-digital-at-heart-of-news-plan/

Should we anticipate a BBC Radio Blackpool and reborn BBC Radio Peterborough? It doesn’t seem that long ago that the Peterborough breakfast opt-out from Cambridgeshire was axed for cost-saving reasons.

Interesting that the temporary stations seem to be going for the same format - local 6-10am and 10am-2pm programmes Monday to Friday. That represents more local output than BBC Radio Surrey or the Dorset opt from BBC Radio Solent. How long before the pendulum swings the other way, and the BBC seeks to address the ‘underserved south’?

I'd say if the BBC are looking to save money, ditching hiring people for half hour or hour long shows at stations like BBC Radio Scotland and Ulster would be a priority.

Radio Ulster have a weekday "late show" that lasts just 52 minutes! They have 2 morning shows of 90 minutes each weekday between 9am and 12pm, when the rest of the network outside of Ulster, London and Scotland have 2 between 6am and 2pm! This is ridiculous wastage.
Last edited by radiolistener on 3 February 2021 5:03pm

13 days later

RD
RDJ
Two weeks after Bob’s had his first jab, and he’s back in the studio with a return to double headed presentation for the first time in five weeks.
London Lite and Ballyboy gave kudos
RD
RDJ
Not only is Bob back... Emma Jesson is back for one night only tonight with the Central Weather.
fanoftv, Soupnzi and London Lite gave kudos
MA
Meridian AM
I saw the last few minutes and close of Central West. Are Bob and Sameena normally so awkward? And the 'banter' they attempted was awful and resulted in a few moments of silence.

It was good to see Emma again.

Their studio set up is the same as Meridian with the desk at an angle for distancing.
BE
Benjamin1
Was Emma working from Birmingham or Salford? If it was the former it must be years since she was there?
ST
South Today
I saw the last few minutes and close of Central West. Are Bob and Sameena normally so awkward? And the 'banter' they attempted was awful and resulted in a few moments of silence.

Their studio set up is the same as Meridian with the desk at an angle for distancing.

Indeed it is always like that. They have never become a ‘’top duo’’ like the likes of Bob & Jo and Bob & Llew.
MA
Meridian AM

Indeed it is always like that. They have never become a ‘’top duo’’.

I don't want to sound rude about Bob, but I'm sure Sameena probably comes across better on the days she presents with Matt Teale and Steve Clamp.
As loyal as he has been, I do wonder how long Bob wants to keep doing it for. He certainly doesn't seem comfortable and it was quite cringey to watch. He has always seemed like a very nice man and he is legendary in the West Midlands.
BA
Ballyboy
I’m lost did Emma quit central weather once?
MA
Meridian AM
She moved to Granada and the northern regions.
BR
Brekkie

I guess she moved to Granada when she was dating Ken Barlow.
sda|, Jon and Ballyboy gave kudos
RD
RDJ

Emma was Central's Weather Presenter across all three sub-regions for 21 years between 1992-2013 before she moved to Granada just shortly after they moved to MediaCityUK.

Sadly sights of Emma in the Central region nowadays are very few and far between, once or twice every couple of years or so.

Newer posts