TV Home Forum

Memories of Regional Programmes

The pre-national days of ITV (February 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
Big-G posted:
On Saturday morning I was watching ITV4 and an old episode of the Big Match from April 1975 The second match on was Luton Town against Man City and Brian Moore said it was covered by Anglia. I am puzzled by how Luton could be in the Anglia region?

G

The town has a relay station that is tied to Anglia and BBC East for starters!

Sports OBs were not necessarily covered by the local ITV company. There was an ice skating event in Basingstoke during the 80s, Thames covered it, not TVS
DO
dosxuk
Events in Luton were regular trips for the Anglia OB units, with plenty of coverage of the area on the news too.
MA
Markymark
Events in Luton were regular trips for the Anglia OB units, with plenty of coverage of the area on the news too.

Didn't Anglia have a news office there at one point?
DO
dosxuk
There was definitely an office down there, but I don't know if any staff were based there. The regularity of news items from that area would suggest there probably was.
SW
Steve Williams
This also recalls the results programme Granada ran from the late 1980s, until about 1997, Granada Goals extra. I know Central ran a similar programme, what abuot other ITV regions?

Granada Goals Extra began in the 1991/92 season, when ITV still had the top flight. Here's one from that season...

There's quite a few on that channel, including one of the few episodes presented by Bob Greaves who was a bit at sea and rather busking his way through it. It's quite an interesting programme, particularly ragged, very much like an old football pink on the telly. Granada continued with it for many years, until 1997 I think, obviously minus top flight goals after the first season, and as you say, Central also had their equivalent which carried on for most of the nineties.

Although I don't think any other region did a show of the same name, most of the Saturday teatime news bulletins in all regions were very heavily football-dominated.

Between 1990 and 1992, Yorkshire were the only region to do a regular weekly highlights show (as they were out of fashion at the time) in the shape of Goals on Sunday, unrelated to the long-running Sky Sports show of the same name, which in half an hour included highlights of a match from the weekend (from any division) and then the goals from the region's other teams.
MK
Mr Kite
It initially ended at the end of 1996. It was then briefly revived in 1998 but from Quay Street rather than the Albert Dock.

There was also the ITV Results Service from Granada in Liverpool, which was, at least, mostly networked.
RI
Richard
It initially ended at the end of 1996. It was then briefly revived in 1998 but from Quay Street rather than the Albert Dock.

There was also the ITV Results Service from Granada in Liverpool, which was, at least, mostly networked.

When was this? It may not have been shown on UTV but all I remember was the ITN results service.
BR
Brekkie
It aired from 1985 after World of Sport ended through to 1992, with the Classified results being incorporated into the ITN bulletin thereafter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_Service
CO
Colm
The ITV Results Service bulletin came from the same studio at LWT as 'Saint and Greavsie'.

Indeed, for the first few years, the final 'World of Sport' theme and graphic sting were retained:

Use of the Ryley caption generator is a further hallmark from the WoS era.
Last edited by Colm on 15 February 2021 10:41pm
SW
Steve Williams
It aired from 1985 after World of Sport ended through to 1992, with the Classified results being incorporated into the ITN bulletin thereafter.

Yes, as mentioned despite being presented by Granada's Elton Welsby, it was an LWT production, from their studios, not Granada.

It was completely networked, even in Scotland, as you can see in the editions on YouTube where they include Scottish reports and promote the next day's live game as being in all regions except Scotland.
HC
Hatton Cross
Hmm. The reporter at the St Johnstone - Rangers game (from 13:46)
I wonder what ever happened to him, eh?
bilky asko and Richard gave kudos
RI
Richard
Hmm. The reporter at the St Johnstone - Rangers game (from 13:46)
I wonder what ever happened to him, eh?

That’s a bad photo...

Newer posts