Media Websites

TV Forum: New for (the middle of) 2020

(June 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Jon posted:
I can’t really understand why the latest GB News thread has been closed when there are many other threads that are talking about editorial biasses on particular US networks. To think no one is going to comment on whatever agenda the channel turns out to have is difficult.

I appreciate the want to keep the forum as apolitical as possible but I think with something like GB News it’s a fine line between discussing business case for the need of this channel, which I think most would think would be perfectly acceptable on TV forum and peoples own political opinions. I think the ‘gammon news’ comment was probably crossing the line, but it’s different to going on a rant about the government or Brexit on a vaguely related thread about coverage of such news.

I’ve made a similar point before, that if Sky News had a policy change and went overtly right or left wing opinion based, I would expect it be commented on by people to either champion it or criticise it to some extent as it would be such a change to the fabric of TV news in the UK.

Most people find the rota discussion boring, but content of programmes is always discussed on this forum to some extent. As Brekkie said, the majority of the posts on the forum probably aren’t pres related. If Coronation Street has some rubbish scripts or scripts that offend people, is that not allowed in a thread talking about Coronation Street even though it’s not strictly pres related? In the same way surely any discussion on GB News is going to lead to people giving their own thoughts on the overall direction of the output?

Ultimately it’s down to Asa as to what he does with the forum and what he allows as he pays the bills but I think it seems like a big shift for people not to be able to give their feelings on the editorial agenda of a channel or service being discussed along with the pres side.

It was inevitable but it's such a shame that arguably the biggest development in UK broadcast journalism in 20 years is now effectively blacklisted here, especially when it is clearly a topic the membership really want to talk about (and seem to largely be in agreement about) even if the moderators don't.
GM
Gary McEwan
Jon posted:
I can’t really understand why the latest GB News thread has been closed when there are many other threads that are talking about editorial biasses on particular US networks. To think no one is going to comment on whatever agenda the channel turns out to have is difficult.

I appreciate the want to keep the forum as apolitical as possible but I think with something like GB News it’s a fine line between discussing business case for the need of this channel, which I think most would think would be perfectly acceptable on TV forum and peoples own political opinions. I think the ‘gammon news’ comment was probably crossing the line, but it’s different to going on a rant about the government or Brexit on a vaguely related thread about coverage of such news.

I’ve made a similar point before, that if Sky News had a policy change and went overtly right or left wing opinion based, I would expect it be commented on by people to either champion it or criticise it to some extent as it would be such a change to the fabric of TV news in the UK.

Most people find the rota discussion boring, but content of programmes is always discussed on this forum to some extent. As Brekkie said, the majority of the posts on the forum probably aren’t pres related. If Coronation Street has some rubbish scripts or scripts that offend people, is that not allowed in a thread talking about Coronation Street even though it’s not strictly pres related? In the same way surely any discussion on GB News is going to lead to people giving their own thoughts on the overall direction of the output?

Ultimately it’s down to Asa as to what he does with the forum and what he allows as he pays the bills but I think it seems like a big shift for people not to be able to give their feelings on the editorial agenda of a channel or service being discussed along with the pres side.

It was inevitable but it's such a shame that arguably the biggest development in UK broadcast journalism in 20 years is now effectively blacklisted here, especially when it is clearly a topic the membership really want to talk about (and seem to largely be in agreement about) even if the moderators don't.

I've noticed on other forums as well moderators like to wield the axe if it doesn't suit their own narrative.

Are we really getting to the stage that if members have their own opinion, that sufferers from someone else's, then the thread gets closed. That's a very bad precedent to set if that is the case.
Last edited by Gary McEwan on 13 February 2021 6:24pm
LO
Londoner
it's such a shame that arguably the biggest development in UK broadcast journalism in 20 years is now effectively blacklisted here

IMHO The Newsroom on TVF has always been as much about journalism/editorial as it has been about music/titles/set design. Many of us have an interest that spans all of these aspects of broadcasting.

As others have noted Asa can set whatever rules he pleases, but I would politely ask for a reconsideration of this particular clampdown.
LL
London Lite Founding member
The difference between GB News and say a launch of another news channel is that it has backers who are connected politically, which has led to political discussion among the limited presentation elements we've seen which have been basically some crap logos and a couple of signings.

If it was AJE, Euronews etc launching today, we wouldn't be discussing if it was impartial or not because it would be clear what their editorial agenda is, which would lead to speculating on set design and who is being signed up.

So I support the ban on discussing GB News until we actually get some more pres elements in the public eye, such as studio pics, but on the first on-air day, I don't see any issue discussing the editorial when we actually get to see for ourselves if it's impartial or an echo chamber for the right.
BA
bilky asko
The difference between GB News and say a launch of another news channel is that it has backers who are connected politically, which has led to political discussion among the limited presentation elements we've seen which have been basically some crap logos and a couple of signings.

If it was AJE, Euronews etc launching today, we wouldn't be discussing if it was impartial or not because it would be clear what their editorial agenda is, which would lead to speculating on set design and who is being signed up.

So I support the ban on discussing GB News until we actually get some more pres elements in the public eye, such as studio pics, but on the first on-air day, I don't see any issue discussing the editorial when we actually get to see for ourselves if it's impartial or an echo chamber for the right.

The latest thread had a non-notable parody of what the channel is speculated to be, was dredging up past errors of confirmed presenters for no reason (when still active presenters on established news channels have done much, much worse), guessing that the role of a certain presenter wasn't because it's a genuine role that potentially offered something new, but because they were being used to bring the channel respectability.

Others were just taking the opportunity to performatively express their political views with the GB News threads, which is not particularly interesting when the forum is very demographically similar, never mind it not particularly relating to actual interesting information about the channel. The variants of the logo, for example, just got buried in the rest of the dross of that thread.

I think Asa's got it right here.
BR
Brekkie
The variants of the logo were the dross in that thread though - the thoughts of the members were what were interesting, and when someone did pull up the issue with Colin from years ago they were quite rightly called out on it by the membership, regardless of members point of view.

A blanket plan on discussing anything other than presentation is just ridiculous. That technically means if they sign up Huw Edwards next week it is off limits here.
BA
bilky asko
A blanket plan on discussing anything other than presentation is just ridiculous. That technically means if they sign up Huw Edwards next week it is off limits here.

As a certain member would often say, what a load of tommyrot. Presenters, by virtue of their name if nothing else, are clearly part of the presentation.
LondonViewer, Meridian AM and London Lite gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member

The latest thread had a non-notable parody of what the channel is speculated to be, was dredging up past errors of confirmed presenters for no reason (when still active presenters on established news channels have done much, much worse), guessing that the role of a certain presenter wasn't because it's a genuine role that potentially offered something new, but because they were being used to bring the channel respectability.

Others were just taking the opportunity to performatively express their political views with the GB News threads, which is not particularly interesting when the forum is very demographically similar, never mind it not particularly relating to actual interesting information about the channel. The variants of the logo, for example, just got buried in the rest of the dross of that thread.

And it'd just continue to happen with the same loop of political posts between what was relevant (which was very little) until GB News actually launches for which we don't even have a launch date yet!
Ghost, Night Thoughts and bilky asko gave kudos
BR
Brekkie

As a certain member would often say, what a load of tommyrot. Presenters, by virtue of their name if nothing else, are clearly part of the presentation.

And that's the point. They've made two presenter announcements and both times the mods shut down discussion, with Asa now specifically saying that anything other than discussion of the logo and studio design will be closed.
Gary McEwan and Matthew_Fieldhouse gave kudos
BA
bilky asko

And that's the point. They've made two presenter announcements and both times the mods shut down discussion, with Asa now specifically saying that anything other than discussion of the logo and studio design will be closed.

Yes, because the last thing anyone needs is a generic GB News Presenters and Rotas thread. Huw Edwards leaving the BBC for anywhere would doubtless get a thread of its own. I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse or not.
AA
Aaron_2015

Two threads were locked because on both occasions, the discussion descended into irrationality based on no evidence whatsoever. Ironically, those criticising this new platform have spread more misinformation thus far than the channel they are concerned with!

If GB News had launched and broadcast, for example, a piece casting doubt on the effectiveness of the two vaccines, or wearing masks, that would be worthy of discussion and your argument would be wholly reasonable.

As it stands currently, however, we know very little (aka nothing) about the channel's broadcast output, so there's little to discuss. As others have said, in place of any actual output or content to criticise, certain members here have simply gone round in circles agreeing with one another over the possible dangers of the channel. Quite simply, that's inherently a political discussion, not a presentation discussion.
GM
Gary McEwan
It's all turning into a bit of a farce. If presenters are not part of 'presentation' then what are they?

This place never used to be like this a few years ago. We're not turning into cancel culture snowflakes are we?
Londoner, Matthew_Fieldhouse and Brekkie gave kudos

Newer posts