TV Home Forum

Memories of Regional Programmes

The pre-national days of ITV (February 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands

It's been mentioned before that it would have been amazing to think what the Pistols encounter would have been like if they were on one of the evenings when the show was presented by "that other rocker, and I'm saying nothing about him" Eamonn Andrews.

In a parallel universe it's Eamonn Andrews interviewing Queen, who were EMI's first choice to go on the programme

Quote:
On one of the Not The Nine O'Clock News compilations, the mid-90s ones they always show now rather than the actual episodes, there's one sketch which is a 6 O'Clock Show parody with Pamela as Janet Street-Porter. I don't know how many people outside London in 1982 would have known about either the programme, or its presenter.

Yes very cleverly turning the 6 upside down:

Mind you I'm sure a few years later Victoria Wood's spoof of Gus Hunneybun went over the heads of a lot of Londoners
OC
Otis Crump
I'm sure Granada ran something in the 5:10 slot in the mid nineties called The 051 Show. Live from the Albert Dock with a husband and wife duo who used to stand in for Richard and Judy, Alison Keenan and Stephen Rhodes.

I have no memory of this. Was this in the This Morning studio immediately after the show moved to London? Was not Granada Tonight already an hour long at this point?

I can't remember if it was in the TM studio or based outside on the Dock. It was 1994 I think, so before the move south. I remember a lot of it being outdoors. I don't think Granada Tonight extended to an hour until later in the 90s.
RI
Rijowhi
I remember Granada's last few years of obligated regional shows were deathly dull, seriously phoned in programmes. One I distinctly remember was The Real Coronation Street about the residents of some Greater Manchester street with the same name. One of the key storylines of the episode I watched was about how a mother and her daughter would do the weekly shop, bring it back to the house in the trolley and then the daughter would take the trolley back to the supermarket.

And then their Thursday 7:30 regional slot was often filled with loads and loads of archive shows about old regional series and quirky news reports. I think there were so many series of them that they were really scraping the barrel for clips by the end but it must have been by far the cheapest way to fill that quota.

Nothing has changed then. Since the merger of Granada/Carlton, much of the the Non-News Regional programming was dull as dishwater. Mind you now we just have a monthly Political Programme...which are a waste of time.
RL
Running Late

It's been mentioned before that it would have been amazing to think what the Pistols encounter would have been like if they were on one of the evenings when the show was presented by "that other rocker, and I'm saying nothing about him" Eamonn Andrews.

In a parallel universe it's Eamonn Andrews interviewing Queen, who were EMI's first choice to go on the programme

Quote:
On one of the Not The Nine O'Clock News compilations, the mid-90s ones they always show now rather than the actual episodes, there's one sketch which is a 6 O'Clock Show parody with Pamela as Janet Street-Porter. I don't know how many people outside London in 1982 would have known about either the programme, or its presenter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vk5K-4PGYQ

Mind you I'm sure a few years later Victoria Wood's spoof of Gus Hunneybun went over the heads of a lot of Londoners

Pamela Stephenson there doing a better impression of JSP than JSP herself. Also Rowan Atkinson playing a professional complainer before that became a thing.
RO
robertclark125
Mum used to enjoy an Australian soap, from Channel 7, Sons and Daughters. It was often in the 15:00 slot on STV, before kids programmes. Was this show ever networked, or did different regions show it at different times?

When we're on about regional programmes, one often forgotten genre were the farming programmes. STV used to show one, but I can't remember its name. In the 1980s, this was the only time you saw adverts for farming products, like some sort of sheep dip made by ICI. Did each company make their own farming programme, or did one company make one, which a couple of other companies took?
DE
deejay

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vk5K-4PGYQ

Victoria Wood spoofed an awful lot of daytime regional telly, which she watched whenever she could according to recent biographies. She did a sketch called McConomy which absolutely must have been inspired by Grampian TVs “Pennywise” (or I’ll eat my hat).

CO
Coronavision
Mum used to enjoy an Australian soap, from Channel 7, Sons and Daughters. It was often in the 15:00 slot on STV, before kids programmes. Was this show ever networked, or did different regions show it at different times?

When we're on about regional programmes, one often forgotten genre were the farming programmes. STV used to show one, but I can't remember its name. In the 1980s, this was the only time you saw adverts for farming products, like some sort of sheep dip made by ICI. Did each company make their own farming programme, or did one company make one, which a couple of other companies took?

"Farming Outlook", a Tyne Tees programme that ran from 1964 to 1988. At various times this was shown in the TT, YTV (who later showed the Anglia programme), STV, Grampian, Border and Ulster regions

I think there were only two rival farming programmes, the other being "Farming Diary" from Anglia. There will have been regional ones elsewhere I'm sure but they were the main two.
MA
Markymark

"Farming Outlook", a Tyne Tees programme that ran from 1964 to 1988. At various times this was shown in the TT, YTV (who later showed the Anglia programme), STV, Grampian, Border and Ulster regions

I think there were only two rival farming programmes, the other being "Farming Diary" from Anglia. There will have been regional ones elsewhere I'm sure but they were the main two.

Southern's Farm Progress I think?
CO
Coronavision

Southern's Farm Progress I think?

Yes, there are examples on YouTube by the looks of things.

I imagine there will have been productions at each of the less-populous regions which then slowly died out, as I can't imagine there was much profit in them, or viewers beyond the farming communities themselves, my recollection was they were a bit dry (although there was a Farming Outlook one from 1980 recently uploaded about hop farming that I actually found myself watching to the end!).
CO
Colm
UTV had 'Farming Ulster' until 1992; the series being famous as the first TV platform for a 20-year-old Eamonn Holmes.

Trailers from the era when 'Farming Ulster' was hosted by Pamela Ballantine can be found among KillianM2's and Deltic1976's UTV off-airs.
CO
commseng
Why just the less populous regions?
I'm fairly sure that ATV (Midlands) had a farming programme in the 1970s on a Sunday morning or lunchtime.
The Midlands has an awful lot of agriculture, as I expect most of the regions did, with the exception of the London franchise area, although even that has some on the outer fringes.
Farming is important, like many on here I do need to eat, and find myself listening to Farming Today on Radio 4 sometimes.
BR
Brekkie
S4C still has Ffermio to this day, and the Fferm Factor back in the noughties, which was like The X Factor but with less bulls***.

I'd imagine HTV had something themselves to but can't think what it was. Did these shows run in primetime or were they afternoon material?

Newer posts