TV Home Forum

Challenge - June 2016 onwards

#ChallengeAccepted (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
Jon posted:

Seem to remember at one point, Pasquale's TPIR was shown twice a day in daytime, possibly because Nicky Campbell's quiz, For The Rest of Your Life, was yanked due to terrible ratings

I think possibly The Price is Right went to double bills then episodes became an hour long. I think Joe Pasquale’s version must have done quite well for a bit and did better than anything else they’d tried to fill the slot with.

Yeah there were hour long episodes at 5 for a bit, with contestants row being cleared after the first showcase showdown. Always felt that was rather harsh on the ones called to "Come on Down" after the initial four.

UKGS suggests it was punted round the schedule a bit. I remember visiting my Grandmother that summer holiday and one of her complaints were how a lot of shows were moving around. Guessing it was round this time CITV started disappearing from ITV1 in the afternoon, to be initially replaced with Taggart and Midsomer Murders repeats until the quizzes established themselves. http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Weaver%27s_Week_2006-12-31.

Taggart seemed an odd choice for daytime repeats as it was quite a grim show.
RA
radiolistener
Jonwo posted:
Jon posted:
I think possibly The Price is Right went to double bills then episodes became an hour long. I think Joe Pasquale’s version must have done quite well for a bit and did better than anything else they’d tried to fill the slot with.

Yeah there were hour long episodes at 5 for a bit, with contestants row being cleared after the first showcase showdown. Always felt that was rather harsh on the ones called to "Come on Down" after the initial four.

UKGS suggests it was punted round the schedule a bit. I remember visiting my Grandmother that summer holiday and one of her complaints were how a lot of shows were moving around. Guessing it was round this time CITV started disappearing from ITV1 in the afternoon, to be initially replaced with Taggart and Midsomer Murders repeats until the quizzes established themselves. http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Weaver%27s_Week_2006-12-31.

Weren't there a few 'adult scenes' in Taggart, at least early on.....'
JL
JamesLaverty1925
Jonwo posted:

Weren't there a few 'adult scenes' in Taggart, at least early on.....'

I think it was mostly post 2001 episodes (after Mike Jardine left), with more gory stuff cut.

Going back to the WoF chat, what font did they use for the board and wheel in the later era?

9 days later

ST
steddenm
The current episode of Wheel of Fortune (1989 STV-only celebrity special) has weird audio as though it has been phased - and by the sound of it the CA was live before the episode as he referenced something that was in the news.
RD
RDJ
Why is Challenge listing ‘The Chase’ as Kiss Chase?

I assume it’s because of Valentines Day - but in the process confuses everyone that it’s something completely different.
DE88, TVVT and iloveTV1 gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Challenge's relationship with The Chase is clearly unhealthy. Challenge are completely obsessive, whilst The Chase seems to forbid Challenge from seeing any other show.
BH
BillyH Founding member
It’s a bit like if a channel was created with the potential rights to every episode of every soap opera ever made, but after a while decided it was easier/more profitable to just air modern episodes of Coronation Street and EastEnders from the last couple of years.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
They did "Kiss Chase" last year. And probably the year before that. It used to have a really tacky looking promotion as well.
JO
Jon
Is the special branding any relevance to the episodes picked, so only episodes where the chasers and the contestants flirt?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Jon posted:
Is the special branding any relevance to the episodes picked, so only episodes where the chasers and the contestants flirt?

Not from what I've seen. I believe its just a half arsed attempt at variety in the EPG (a cheap "valentine's day tie-in" if you like) and they're just standard episodes.

Anyway I dare say if one was to try flirting with old Frosty Knickers, the end result will be like looking at Medusa.
UB
UBox
Jon posted:

Very bold of you to presume Challenge would think it through that much.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I've seen listings on the EPG where the show is called something like "The Chase: Dark Destroyer". I don't see what it really achieves, and I wouldn't be wholly surprised if the Chaser on said episode was someone other than Shaun.

Newer posts