TV Home Forum

Oneness on lockdown - new idents for BBC One

Split from BBC Oneness - idents and presentation (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DM
DeMarkay
BR
Brekkie
Not sure what expertly planned, neatly laid out, slick presentation has to do with Oneness. Very Happy
TI
TIGHazard
dbl posted:
NBC 2000 was the project which influenced the flows of American TV currently, it was to counteract messy station breaks and cluttered junctions, and the introduction of the ECP. This from around 1995:

Huh, the music used there is the music used in the "history of corners" segment from Screenwipe which was mocking ECP's. Did Brooker see that clip?

EDIT: Noticed I quoted the wrong post Very Happy
JO
Jon
That’s such a familiar piece of music, I very much doubt that particular clip was what gave him the idea to use it. Having said that it’s possible he saw that in researching the show and it out the music in his head, but I think it’s probably more of a coincidence.
Last edited by Jon on 11 February 2021 11:12pm
Kunst and bilky asko gave kudos
GE
thegeek Founding member
dbl posted:
NBC 2000 was the project which influenced the flows of American TV currently, it was to counteract messy station breaks and cluttered junctions, and the introduction of the ECP. This from around 1995:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaxqB1lka18

Huh, the music used there is the music used in the "history of corners" segment from Screenwipe which was mocking ECP's. Did Brooker see that clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CT_pchwjgg

That's Perpetuum Mobile by Penguin Café Orchestra, which I'm sure has done very well out of sync rights over the years.

The NBC video (presumably a sales pitch for affiliates) is so painfully mid-90s it hurts.
bilky asko and lobster gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands

That's Perpetuum Mobile by Penguin Café Orchestra, which I'm sure has done very well out of sync rights over the years.

International Bright Young Things by Jesus Jones on that video too, that's another very well used song
LO
lobster

The NBC video (presumably a sales pitch for affiliates) is so painfully mid-90s it hurts.

For its time, it would have looked very slick, today it hasn’t dated well - the whole style of early rendered graphics (like the 1990s Star Trek TNG effects etc) look so plasticky and naff today, looking back, this style seemed to continue well into the 2000 - great video!
JA
james-2001
dbl posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaxqB1lka18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CT_pchwjgg

And I always thought that was a real documentry Wink
RL
Running Late
dbl posted:
Spanish TV presentation was messy when I went to Barcelona a few years ago, I'd say even worse than US TV as there's at least a pattern - ad breaks were frequent but there was a lack of flow grammar, you could easily get lost as to where you were in the schedule from an outsiders perspective.

A quick google search reveals that they have broken the EU's ad limits quite frequently in the past.

Don't Spanish and Italian broadcasters often flaut the laws, or at least they used to? I remember reading once that an Italian broadcaster showed a major football match that they didn't have the rights to just because they had a last minute gap in their schedule that night to fill.
SW
Steve Williams
Don't Spanish and Italian broadcasters often flaut the laws, or at least they used to? I remember reading once that an Italian broadcaster showed a major football match that they didn't have the rights to just because they had a last minute gap in their schedule that night to fill.

I do remember the writer Giles Smith talking about Hernan Crespo leaving Chelsea, as in his statement he said he wanted to go back to Italy because he missed the Italian way of life - he said he missed "the food, the culture, the television". And Smith asked who the hell would ever miss Italian television, which is famously appalling.

Obviously that's hugely unfair, but it's worth pointing out that all nations have curiosities and quirks in their television that are perfectly logical and accepted in their own countries but haven't caught on elsewhere. The UK is no exception, and there's no need to suggest we're doing it wrong. I mean, France still show Going For Gold in primetime!

15 days later

IJ
IanJRedman
Not entirely sure where to put this, but there was a glitch on network BBC One after the regional news opts ended at 7pm. The Alex Scott BBC Headroom promo played, but the BBC Creative VT clock was seen at the start. Then part way through, the promo crashed out to a Top Gear trail. Did anyone spot it?
MI
m_in_m
Not entirely sure where to put this, but there was a glitch on network BBC One after the regional news opts ended at 7pm. The Alex Scott BBC Headroom promo played, but the BBC Creative VT clock was seen at the start. Then part way through, the promo crashed out to a Top Gear trail. Did anyone spot it?

I'm presuming it started at the wrong point but ran for the correct duration so cut off the end.

Newer posts