The Newsroom

Scandals, Blunders & Lawsuits at FOXNEWS, OANN, NewsMax

Now includes "News"Max & OANN Scandals (July 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
Lou Dobbs was spewing his extreme, anti-immigrant (especially anti Mexicans) rhetoric for years over on CNN, but no one seemed to mind it back then. Cool

I’m sure people that didn’t like him on Fox wouldn’t have liked him on CNN either. But of course there is probably a more of microscope on these channels thanks to the Trump presidency. So I’m not sure I really see your point.
CA
Cando
Lou Dobbs has spewing his extreme, anti-immigrant (especially anti Mexicans) rhetoric for years over on CNN, but no one seemed to mind it back then. Cool Used to occupy Erin Burnett's slot, if I remember well.

Was it not that people did mind that he had to leave CNN?

He was on CNN HLN for his final years, he got far more extreme once at Fox. As did Glenn Beck who was also on HLN around the same time. Both with very few viewers.
Maria Bartiroma was perfectly competent on CNBC but has become increasingly deranged with the conspiracy theories on Fox
CI
cityprod
Lou Dobbs was spewing his extreme, anti-immigrant (especially anti Mexicans) rhetoric for years over on CNN, but no one seemed to mind it back then. Cool Used to occupy Erin Burnett's slot, if I remember well.

Oh people minded it! Especially the bosses at the time, Jonathan Klein in particular had a famously bad relationship with Lou Dobbs. He'd wanted Lou to remove the opinion elements from his show, and Lou eventually secured a release from his contract, which enabled him to eventually go to Fox News and become the figure we know today. Some details can be found here... https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120351492&t=1612969257417

Also, Lou had a syndicated radio show at the time as well, and Keith Olbermann on MSNBC's Countdown would include him in the Worst Person In The World segments for the stupid stuff Lou would say on his radio show.
CF
CallumF
More opinion-led programming from Fox News - now from 7pm right through midnight:
https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/the-greg-gutfeld-show-is-moving-to-weeknights-at-11-p-m/470841/
Quote:
The Greg Gutfeld Show Is Moving to Weeknights at 11 p.m.
Fox News has decided to move Greg Gutfeld‘s Saturday night talk show to weeknights.

Beginning in the second quarter, The Greg Gutfeld Show will take over the Monday-Friday 11 p.m. ET time slot currently held by the Shannon Bream-hosted news program Fox News @ Night, which is being pushed back an hour (12-1 a.m. ET).

A first-run edition of Fox News @ Night will replace a re-run of Tucker Carlson Tonight, and a replacement prime time weekend program for The Greg Gutfeld Show will be announced at a later date.

This means that Fox News will go opinion from 7 p.m.-12 a.m. ET.

This change shouldn’t come as a shock. In recent months, Fox News @ Night has lost a hold on No. 1 in the 11 p.m. hour in any measurement. MSNBC’s The 11th Hour with Brian Williams has established itself as No. 1 in total viewers at 11 p.m., while CNN Tonight with Don Lemon has often rated No. 1 among adults 25-54.

The Greg Gutfeld Show has been one of the top-rated weekend cable news programs among adults 25-54 in recent years. Fox News @ Night has also been losing a chunk of its 10 p.m. lead-in, The Ingraham Angle. It’s doubtful that Gutfeld, an opinion host, will lose as much of that lead-in.

Another interesting aspect of this move is that the network has long compared Gutfeld’s Saturday night talk show to the late night comedy shows on broadcast, including CBS’ The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, NBC’s Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live. This, despite the fact that his show is on cable and airs once a week in prime time, not late night.

It will be interesting to see how the show does nightly versus weekly.

It’s also worth noting that a significant amount of late-night viewing is online/social, and we’ll see if Gutfeld’s show can go viral like the aforementioned trio.

“People need a reason to laugh. Greg’s unique and irreverent talk show has been an incredible success, often beating the late night broadcast competition, despite its Saturday timeslot,” Fox News CEO Suzanne Scott said in a statement. “With one of the most loyal and engaged audiences in cable news, we’re thrilled to bring the show to weekday primetime and further solidify Greg’s place among late night television stars.”

Gutfeld joined Fox News in 2007 and has served as one of the co-hosts of The Five since the program launched nearly 10 years ago and will continue in his role there as well.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I'm not sure that moving Gutfeld to weekday lates is going to work. The fact it's on once a week works better as a weekend show than over five nights. It may keep a hardcore of younger Trump supporting audiences, but MSNBC really doesn't have anything to worry about with this format.

This decision along with the changes to 7pm is to shore up their opinion block against Newsmax and One Nation America which have benefitted from Trump endorsements when he was President.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
There was lost connection on Monday, resulting in the following screw-up during The Faulkner Focus. From a pres point of view, I quite like how the DOG/network bug animates away when they go to the break. I've not seen that before as I barely watch any FNC.

(Beware: there is some whining from a commentator at the start).

(From Justin Baragona on Twitter)
LL
Trump's on Hannity tonight. Surprised it's with Faux News rather than Newsmax or OAN.
GI
ginnyfan
He already gave his first post-presidency interview, earlier in the day, to Faulkner and Bill Hammer, commenting on the death of Rush Limbaugh. It was unexpected and felt very 2015/2016 in the sense of Trump the outsider on a mission to presidency.

Clearly he knows he needs FOX, and vice versa.

13 days later

MO
Mouseboy33
So whilst the FBI is debriefing Congress on the terror attack on the US Capitol, Fox News continues to ignore legitimate news that doesn't fit their weird creepy world view. They are talking about Dr Seuss and previously going on for hours and hours about Mr Potatohead. Rolling Eyes Are they trying to hide or downplay their role in something? Hmmm?

1 hour later they bought on another creepy weird guest to talk about Dr Seuss yet again. There are more serious issues going on like Covid19, Capitol terror attack, but they choose to shield their audience. This is clearly designed to anger and infuriate their audience not inform them. Nothing else.

Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 2 March 2021 5:14pm - 4 times in total
London Lite and Ghost gave kudos
LL
This will come as no surprise.

Mouseboy33 and CallumF gave kudos
JK
JKDerry
No surprise at all. Nothing else to day, as this has been predicted by many in the US media on the day after the election in November.
MO
Mouseboy33
Apparently this morning 3/3/21 Fox News is still going on about Dr Suess. They have a problem.

Newer posts