TV Home Forum

Local TV

Are you local? (July 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
EM
Emily Moore
It was very much made fun of here at launch, but Sheffield Live is still going strong with (quite lengthy) daily news, local sports and business programming. Very little (if any) in the way of filler through the likes of Judge Judy etc, overnight and daytime is a simulcast of their radio station with local info displayed on screen. Was interviewed myself a few months back for their news programme and they have well and truly taken advantage of Zoom as a means of producing local up-to-date content.

I've left the area now (no point in spending money on living there, given that university is now online) but it never used to be particularly good, even before Covid it felt like an amateur operation with the schedules rarely reflecting what appeared on screen. Looking at the schedules, they seem to have streamlined and simplified things a bit. If they've improved their output, that's a good thing.

They are bidding (with a couple of partners) for a local small-scale DAB radio multiplex, where they will be able to convert Sheffield Live radio to digital and broadcast stations from a number of partners (e.g. Forge student radio and Sheffield Live spin-offs). Given that they appear to have been able to sustain their TV service through very challenging times, you'd expect them to be a shoo-in for this new radio licence.
London Lite and all new Phil gave kudos
LO
Londoner
Local TV here is London is not something that I would ever think of for local news, but occasionally an old programme repeated from elsewhere is of interest.

Just as well - London Live hasn't broadcast any news at all for nearly a year. The channel's (furloughed?) head of news now has a regular weekend daytime presenting slot on LBC News.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
RDJ posted:
Local TV seems like an afterthought after letting the main broadcasters shirk their regional responsibilities.

Local TV can work if the budget is there. ITV proved this as their local non-news output used draw high ratings if it was scheduled in a decent spot. But budget cuts combined with Ofcom allowing them to bring it down to the bare bones means that ITV just do the minimum that’s expected of them - with the only local non-news output being political shows once in a blue moon in a graveyard slot.

STV used to run their local TV stations as well, STV2. And they pulled out because they couldn't make it work. And this had the backing of an ITV company. If STV2 couldn't work with that amount of backing, it was almost certainly not going to work when the budget fell to 26p and a bus token.
BR
Brekkie
Whose left then outside of the That's TV/Made network?

By my reckoning there is London Live, KMTV (Kent), Notts TV, Sheffield Live and I think one in Northern Ireland. Any more?

Notts TV doing their own version of Springwatch this week with a daily live wildlife programme.
https://nottstv.com/wollaton-watch-live-local-nature-programme-comes-to-notts-tv/
JO
Jon
Latest TV Brighton?
Rexogamer, London Lite and Brekkie gave kudos
CO
commseng
Local TV here is London is not something that I would ever think of for local news, but occasionally an old programme repeated from elsewhere is of interest.

Just as well - London Live hasn't broadcast any news at all for nearly a year. The channel's (furloughed?) head of news now has a regular weekend daytime presenting slot on LBC News.

I had totally forgotten that!
Shows how little attention it gets in London, despite the Evening Standard's promotion of the channel.
NW
nwtv2003

Let me get this straight. London Live the station for the capital, in Local TV’s biggest market and the one that is owned by London’s main newspaper, has not broadcast any news for almost 12 months? Yet even at its worst Thats TV and Made/Insert City Name TV even manages to get a news service out, as well as some of the other smaller stations.

That is embarrassing, especially as it’s serving one of the biggest and most important capital cities on this planet. There’s only so long you can use COVID as excuse for.
JO
Joe
RDJ posted:
Local TV seems like an afterthought after letting the main broadcasters shirk their regional responsibilities.

Local TV can work if the budget is there. ITV proved this as their local non-news output used draw high ratings if it was scheduled in a decent spot. But budget cuts combined with Ofcom allowing them to bring it down to the bare bones means that ITV just do the minimum that’s expected of them - with the only local non-news output being political shows once in a blue moon in a graveyard slot.

STV used to run their local TV stations as well, STV2. And they pulled out because they couldn't make it work. And this had the backing of an ITV company. If STV2 couldn't work with that amount of backing, it was almost certainly not going to work when the budget fell to 26p and a bus token.

To be fair, it closed when BBC Scotland (channel) was announced.
Rexogamer and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
SD
SuperDave
Even before the COVID crisis, London Live was only managing an hour of original local content each weekday.
Rexogamer and Rijowhi gave kudos
RI
Rijowhi
Quote:
"We're trying to run it as a commercially viable business consistent with the vision for local TV that Jeremy Hunt set out, which is some local news within a network channel," Mr Cass says.

I'm pretty sure that was specifically not the vision, as there's already 2 PSBs doing exactly that.

I believe that was the original vision (which obviously got changed) as I’m sure Hunt was talking about BBC/ITV eventually dropping some Regional services. If I remember right there was even talk of the National side of the channel having a budget bigger than Channel 5...😂.

I’m shocked someone hasn’t paid the 27p for the whole network yet. The 10 minute Local bulletin by one of the Local channels isn’t that bad an idea (especially if shown several times a day). If a company bought all the Local stations and produced some decent Quasi-National programmes (alongside Archived programming), you suddenly have an set up similar to Hunt’s original idea.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Local channels in Switzerland run a two hour loop of programming for 24 hours, which is updated at 6pm, such as Léman Bleu which include a news bulletin.
Rexogamer and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
PA
paul_hadley
I know it’s been said time and time again but we would have been far better off with a national networked channel with local news opts.

Newer posts