The Newsroom

Armed Insurrection at US Capitol Building

Split from US ELECTIONS 2020 Coverage (January 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FU
fusionlad Founding member
Are CNN biased or just truthful?

It's possible to be both I think. Selecting only the facts that fit their current agenda.

Although sometimes admittedly they broadcast an opinion and present it as fact.
CU
Cusack
Yes, and Mandela's death was of course a famous one because it broke very soon before the Ten O'Clock News and there were lots of complaints that the Ten was devoted to nothing but, on a night of exceptionally bad weather across the UK..

Mandela's also has the almost perfectly timed fade out from Mrs Brown's Boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aaLVn1kR3c

The main problem with the coverage of Nelson Mandela's death was it completely took over the TV that night, while parts of the east coast were experiencing the worst flooding it had for years due to a huge storm surge. I remember Paul Hudson, Look North weather presenter, tweeting saying their update was delayed, and pushed back, and further back, and I don't think that it even made it air.
TV
TVViewer256
Take away the politicisation of the word and the definition of "liberal" is

willing to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas.

Isn't that what you should want from a news channel?

I was using it as a replacement for 'progressive', as is very common.
SW
Steve Williams
The main problem with the coverage of Nelson Mandela's death was it completely took over the TV that night, while parts of the east coast were experiencing the worst flooding it had for years due to a huge storm surge. I remember Paul Hudson, Look North weather presenter, tweeting saying their update was delayed, and pushed back, and further back, and I don't think that it even made it air.

The regional news did get on that night, but it was the only place that mentioned the bad weather as the Ten was entirely devoted to Mandela. But as I say, they were very much making it up on the hoof, and had the death being announced earlier that evening, no doubt they'd have got the balance a bit better.

I was living in Cleethorpes at the time, which everyone was worried was going to be badly hit, and BBC News sent Ben Brown to report for the News Channel. Unfortunately for Ben, though fortunately for me, while there was quite a lot of flooding elsewhere on the East Coast, Cleethorpes was completely unscathed, so it was a totally wasted journey for him, while he missed playing a role in the coverage of the biggest news story of the year.
AN
Andrew Founding member
It was one of those situations where when news is big, one of the ways it is reinforced that it is big, is for it to dominate the entire bulletin.

Some here criticised the BBC for not doing the same with the Capitol storming, as they saw it as massive news, and didn't think they gave it enough prominence featuring it among other stories. I would disagree personally.

With the Mandela death, they should really have extended the Ten and still run other stories (which considering the lateness of the breaking news, were probably already prepared). It isn't as if the Ten has a fixed end time, it seems to be extended at the drop of a hat.
TM
TMD_24
Uh oh...

EDIT: Appears to be nothing major.

BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Meanwhile, Robert Moore's footage has been instrumental in the arrest of a woman who allegedly stole Nancy Pelosi's laptop in the hope of selling it on to the Russians.
AndrewPSSP, Brekkie and Ghost gave kudos
HC
Hatton Cross
Haa! Forget about underworld cyber hacking from a bunker in Moscow - that, in footballing speak, if true - is route one stuff!
BA
bakamann
I wonder if Ofcom is receiving complaints about CNN's repeated airings of The Newyorker video of the Capitol insurrection with profanities.

23 days later

JW
JamesWorldNews
AJE covering the impeachment trial live from Capitol Hill right now, including the airing of previously unseen footage of the storming of the Capitol on 6th January.

It would appear to be footage seized from protestors’ own phones, now being presented as evidence.

Some harrowing scenes, TBH. AJE showing it uncensored, leading with an apology in advance “for any profanities which can be heard on our air”.
TM
TMD_24
This is also being covered live on Court TV on Sky channel 179.
UN
Universal_r
BBC news channel is simulcasting outside source which has basically just been coverage of the trial. Then after that we have katty and Christian who’ll probably exclusively cover it. Then possibly world news America on the news channel if there is any major news/developments.

Newer posts