TV Home Forum

BBC THREE versus BBC SCOTLAND

Is it time for the BBC to make a really tough decision? (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Then the solution is just to close the whole thing down....and reopen BBC3 instead

If the BBC Scotland channel was closed there is a much higher chance of the money saved being directed to BBC Scotland (the organisation) to spend on their other services and production, such as relaunching BBC Two Scotland (which you may remember was closed to allow for the creation of the BBC Scotland channel).

It will not magically end up back in London with a bunch of people going "oh, I wonder what we can spend all this extra cash on" just waiting for some Twitter campaign to remind them they closed BBC Three down several years before.

I really appreciate your point of view, but I also have to remind that the BBC has hinted on the possibility of relaunching BBC Three as an actual TV channel

To hint is not to do. I could hint that I want to launch a rocket into space. Doesn't mean I'm going to.
Cold Open and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
RD
Roger Darthwell

If the BBC Scotland channel was closed there is a much higher chance of the money saved being directed to BBC Scotland (the organisation) to spend on their other services and production, such as relaunching BBC Two Scotland (which you may remember was closed to allow for the creation of the BBC Scotland channel).

It will not magically end up back in London with a bunch of people going "oh, I wonder what we can spend all this extra cash on" just waiting for some Twitter campaign to remind them they closed BBC Three down several years before.

I really appreciate your point of view, but I also have to remind that the BBC has hinted on the possibility of relaunching BBC Three as an actual TV channel

To hint is not to do. I could hint that I want to launch a rocket into space. Doesn't mean I'm going to.

Good point, but in this case, if they are not going to do it, why did the BBC even published this article? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52719883#:~:text=The%20BBC%20is%20considering%20the,also%20have%20its%20budget%20doubled. That is all
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
There is a key word in the headline on that page that you have clearly missed.

And the BBC publishes lots of articles, BBC News does not always get first dibs on what the BBC does or does not do.
DO
dosxuk
Then the solution is just to close the whole thing down....and reopen BBC3 instead

But that will be a completely separate decision than whether to close BBC Scotland. Politically, while the UK remains united, it will be unfeasible to remove funding for Scottish services from Scotland.

There is no rule in the BBC Charter that says you can only have the BBC Scotland channel or BBC Three. They are two independent budgetary decisions.

Good point, but in this case, if they are not going to do it, why did the BBC even published this article? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52719883#:~:text=The%20BBC%20is%20considering%20the,also%20have%20its%20budget%20doubled. That is all

I don't seem to see anything in there about how they would have to close the BBC Scotland channel down and redirect Scottish licence fee payers funding to London in that article?
AndrewPSSP, Alfie Mulcahy and Roger Darthwell gave kudos

48 days later

RD
Roger Darthwell
Apparently BBC3's production team is being transferred over to BBC Studios. I wonder why? https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/bbc/bbcs-to-house-bbc3-production-team/5156917.article
VA
valley
Apparently BBC3's production team is being transferred over to BBC Studios. I wonder why? https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/bbc/bbcs-to-house-bbc3-production-team/5156917.article

Presumably so there is better integration with those who make the programmes rather than those who primarily just commission programmes?
RD
Roger Darthwell

Presumably so there is better integration with those who make the programmes rather than those who primarily just commission programmes?

All right now I understand, sorry if I misunderstood. Just realised it's now been 5 years since BBC Three closed down, which I consider a mistake
Last edited by Roger Darthwell on 16 February 2021 12:06pm

Newer posts