TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible.

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
madmusician
I do remember a light bulb blowing on an episode of 10 O’Clock Live which was definitely not staged. I think it happened just as the programme was coming back from a break, Lauren Laverne was doing the intro to the next round-table bit (with all four talent sat around the table), when there was suddenly a noise off camera with all four looking taken aback with various bits of shocked ad-libbing, before she threw to the next VT which seemed as though it was due to come later in the programme.

Unlike last night, there was absolutely no link between the light blowing and the programme content and it was quickly moved on from (perhaps with a quick pay-off line, I can’t remember) when they returned from the VT.
RO
rob Founding member
None of you were obviously watching last night. Josh made a reference back to the 90s BBC drama Ghostwatch, saying he'd watched it in lockdown. So this week there were spooky goings-ons throughout the programme, set up by the crew which the presenters were left in the dark about

I'm sorry for not watching, but I've spent all week being ill with Covid. I'll watch more television in future. Very Happy
OC
Otis Crump
I do remember a light bulb blowing on an episode of 10 O’Clock Live which was definitely not staged. I think it happened just as the programme was coming back from a break, Lauren Laverne was doing the intro to the next round-table bit (with all four talent sat around the table), when there was suddenly a noise off camera with all four looking taken aback with various bits of shocked ad-libbing, before she threw to the next VT which seemed as though it was due to come later in the programme.

Unlike last night, there was absolutely no link between the light blowing and the programme content and it was quickly moved on from (perhaps with a quick pay-off line, I can’t remember) when they returned from the VT.

It's happened on This Morning a few times. A crew member could be heard swearing in reaction on one occasion.
AV
avrovulcanxh607
Image I dug up from my archives - someone appears to have pulled the plug feeding one of the background screens
itvblocks and Anglialad gave kudos
RL
Running Late
Image I dug up from my archives - someone appears to have pulled the plug feeding one of the background screens

I'm also wondering why the strap says Yesterday's News, BBC cutbacks? Smile
SP
Steve in Pudsey
it's in single quote marks, so probably a headline along the lines of [Politician] tells press conference [scandal] is 'yesterdays news'
RO
robertclark125
I'm sure it's happened a few times, I remember in the early 1990s, one evening John Suchet was hosting the ITN early evening news, which was 540-555, and he read an intro into one report, and they played another report. Stopped after a few seconds, and John Suchet said "We're sorry, that was the wrong report", and moved onto the next item. They returned to the item, the lead story, after the third item.
BE
Bennyboy1984
Now 90s had a glitch earlier. Came out of an ad break to play a DJ Ewen promo which was broadcast in sound only (black screen). Then it abruptly cut back to the then current programme which was 1995 Flashback with Robin Banks which had a couple of seconds of glitchy sound.
NW
nwtv2003
Not quite a breakdown but for some reason the commentary on the Man U/Everton match on Sky Sports sounded like a broken robot, it lasted for a few minutes. Having checked Twitter it effected a number of viewers. How very odd.
BE
Bennyboy1984
Talking of Now 90s in all the time I’ve watched that channel that’s the only glitch I can say I’ve seen. Does anyone know if they’ve had problems before, particularly serious ones?
CH
channel4squares1
Again, not quite a breakdown, but Central seem to came back from the 4th advert break a little too early, showing about 40 seconds of the film slide before rejoining the film (from around 15:05 if the video doesn't start from there).

14 days later

RO
robertclark125
Some time ago, on this thread, was raised the topic of the infamous party political broadcast, which failed to play properly. The Thames and Yorkshire versions of how it was handled were found. Now, this is how STV handled it, with Bruce Curdy your announcer.

Newer posts