TV Home Forum

Super Bowl 2021

Split from The Sport Thread (February 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
UK
UKnews
Says everything you need to know about NFL that during it's flagship event it's the ads which are more interesting.

Speak for yourself. I’m greatly enjoying the game, just as I do the rest of the season.

If you’re not interested, fair enough.
HE
headliner101
Says everything you need to know about NFL that during it's flagship event it's the ads which are more interesting.

I don't know if it's hyperbole to say it but the Super Bowl is the one TV event where the ads are much more anticipated than the programme itself.

Speak for yourself. I’m greatly enjoying the game, just as I do the rest of the season.

If you’re not interested, fair enough.

Well good for you that you can appreciate the gameplay. FWIW, I can't understand, concentrate on and follow an American Football match not least because the game clock stops once every five seconds whereas a 'global' football game clock goes on continuously.
RD
rdd Founding member
rdd posted:
The BBC used to take the world feed instead of the US domestic broadcast, nowadays both BBC and Sky have the domestic broadcast.

Since they first showed the Super Bowl live in 2008 (other than the couple of years it was on C4) they’ve only taken the world feed once*, and that was the very first year. They said at the time they did that because, as they weren’t experienced showing it, the world feed was easier to work with because it had a fixed number of fixed length add breaks.

(*They might have on one other occasion but since that first year it’s been the norm for them to take the US network feed.)

That doesn’t seem to tally with this discussion on this very forum:

https://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/the-sport-thread-41896/page-55

When you yourself said:

Quote:

One of the BBC producers wrote a blog after the first Superbowl they showed live - they said that one of the reasons they took the international feed was that it had a fixed number of fixed length ad breaks, which made it much easier to work with on the night. After complaints they used the US network feed the following year, but since getting the rights back they've gone with the international feed.
TI
TIGHazard

The BBC - or really any UK broadcaster - can't show advertising that has paid CBS, so when they mention the State Farm half time show, they can't show that and have to cut away.
They'd be allowed to let through references to the State Farm half time show, just as they'd be allowed to refer to the Emirates FA Cup or the Guinness 6 Nations (or, er, the Robinson's Sports Personality of the Year?)

The State Farm half time show is CBS’ analysis segment, so that wouldn’t be allowed.

The Pepsi halftime show is the errr actual ‘show’. I think the problem was the nature of the message was pushing Pepsi and saying to go and buy a can etc, not just naming the ‘show’ itself.

I may be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that Pepsi only pay for the sponsorship in the US/Canada. Hence why the World Feed is sponsor free for the Half Time show as neither of those countries are using it. Though the branding in the stadium during the performance does complicate things for them.

I know in previous years the BBC have allowed the Pepsi branding to go out around the HTS, especially when it's being played on the screens around the stadium instead of cutting to the beauty cam.
MI
Michael
BBC have switched to NFL Network mid-broadcast.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
What a difference a year makes - I think the CBS graphics look great. Very classy.

I recall UKnews and I both disliked the FOX graphics (in particular a silly sound effect they used every replay) last year.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Normally the BBC's NFL show have their own set in Studio 3 (though it occasionally moves to 1 or 2), and they used the big screen in Studio 1 for the Thanksgiving show.

Tonight they're in Studio 2, using BT's set plus a couple of extra banners. Studio 3 is in use tonight by ITV for some other egg-chasing.

It's not the first time that studio's been used for NFL - Channel 4 did their shows from there in 2014.
Last edited by thegeek on 8 February 2021 8:22am
bilky asko and UKnews gave kudos
GE
thegeek Founding member

The BBC - or really any UK broadcaster - can't show advertising that has paid CBS, so when they mention the State Farm half time show, they can't show that and have to cut away.
They'd be allowed to let through references to the State Farm half time show, just as they'd be allowed to refer to the Emirates FA Cup or the Guinness 6 Nations (or, er, the Robinson's Sports Personality of the Year?)

The State Farm half time show is CBS’ analysis segment, so that wouldn’t be allowed.

The Pepsi halftime show is the errr actual ‘show’. I think the problem was the nature of the message was pushing Pepsi and saying to go and buy a can etc, not just naming the ‘show’ itself.

Ah, got you. I really should be paying more attention.
UK
UKnews
rdd posted:
rdd posted:
The BBC used to take the world feed instead of the US domestic broadcast, nowadays both BBC and Sky have the domestic broadcast.

Since they first showed the Super Bowl live in 2008 (other than the couple of years it was on C4) they’ve only taken the world feed once*, and that was the very first year. They said at the time they did that because, as they weren’t experienced showing it, the world feed was easier to work with because it had a fixed number of fixed length add breaks.

(*They might have on one other occasion but since that first year it’s been the norm for them to take the US network feed.)

That doesn’t seem to tally with this discussion on this very forum:

https://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/the-sport-thread-41896/page-55

When you yourself said:

Quote:

One of the BBC producers wrote a blog after the first Superbowl they showed live - they said that one of the reasons they took the international feed was that it had a fixed number of fixed length ad breaks, which made it much easier to work with on the night. After complaints they used the US network feed the following year, but since getting the rights back they've gone with the international feed.

Ah well, must be my memory failing me, I’d forgotten they’d used the world feed when they got the coverage back. Since 2018 (or certainly 2019) they’ve used the US network feed.
UK
UKnews
What a difference a year makes - I think the CBS graphics look great. Very classy.

I recall UKnews and I both disliked the FOX graphics (in particular a silly sound effect they used every replay) last year.

I’d forgotten that!

The BBC did use the world feed with the CBS commentary for the last couple of minutes of the first half, presumably expecting several (in vision) Pepsi or State Farm promos. All the replays seemed to match up with the CBS coms at that point so, other than a change in the score graphic it worked fairly well for that bit.
AA
aaron_scotland
The halftime show sounds like its taking place in the arena next door... Very low audio.
UK
UKnews
This should have been NBCs year. They swapped with CBS so they could get the Super Bowl and Winter Olympics in the same month.

Newer posts