TV Home Forum

Fictional Breakdown Slides/Test Cards

Something slightly different... (February 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MI
Michael
bilky asko and itvblocks gave kudos
XI
Xilla
Xilla posted:
The videogame Sonic Mania has a stage set in a TV studio, the boss takes the form of a weather forecast which creates hazards for the player to avoid.

Defeat the boss, and the forecast is replaced by this!

That does look TCF inspired which is interesting... any Brits working on the coding of the game? Was TCF ever used in Japan?

I believe two of the artists involved in the game are based in England. Probably an easy reference for them to slip in. I don't think the Japanese side of things really had much involvement.

There's actually a further easter egg involved in the testcard scene - you can hear a buzzing noise coming from the TV - this is the same noise that constantly interrupted the livestream where the game was announced!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDCInPXGCkk

He uses this for his weekly quiz nights on Twitch too, been wondering what it was! Smile
:-(
A former member
This trailer on BBC ONE Northern Ireland at the moment...

Spot the odd one out.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
How about

(And the first version that used the old tuning signal that isn't technically a test card)
MA
Markymark

Was TCF ever used in Japan?

I don't think it was. It was used in some Commonwealth countries, but I don't think any NTSC territories (notably Canada and Caribbean). No reason why an NTSC version couldn't have been produced, only a case of changing the frequency gratings. I've also seen an NRK TCF, not surprising as the Nordic broadcasters were (still are to an extent) very much exponents of BBC/UK style engineering practice
LL
Larry the Loafer
I don't have a clip to hand, but there's a small bit in Shaun of the Dead where they're locked in the pub and someone's looking at what's on TV, only for every channel to have a breakdown slide because of the ongoing apocalypse. IIRC there was a good selection, and rather niche choices like Bravo. I can only assume they were made especially for that scene but they look very convincing.
FO
FanOfTV99
I don't have a clip to hand, but there's a small bit in Shaun of the Dead where they're locked in the pub and someone's looking at what's on TV, only for every channel to have a breakdown slide because of the ongoing apocalypse. IIRC there was a good selection, and rather niche choices like Bravo. I can only assume they were made especially for that scene but they look very convincing.

I also know that scene. My favourite one from that scene has to be the E4 card for some reason.
NW
nwtv2003
Credit where it’s due for Shaun of the Dead, but all of the TV scenes were done brilliantly. Although Sky News was not branded in the film, it’s the exact presentation of that era and Jeremy Thompson reading instructions on how to decapitate a zombie was brilliantly surreal.
IT
itvblocks
Running Late and parrferris gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Had half-baked memories of seeing this somewhere:

It was from an episode of the revived Basil Brush show, eventually found out it was this episode:

(from 17:10 if the embedded link doesn't take you there)
030293, Josh and itvblocks gave kudos
RI
Richard

That scene annoyed me slightly because of the use of “please stand by” captions which I don’t believe are ever used in this country.
IS
Inspector Sands
Another fakedown.... in this case probably caused by some Creamy Muck Muck:

A Testcard F done for Comic Relief:

and The Comedy Channels testcard spoof:
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 7 February 2021 10:41am

Newer posts