Mass Media & Technology

NOW TV

Now just er...NOW. (October 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IN
Interceptor
Why is lack of ethernet an issue? It's designed to be a small thing you stick behind your TV out of sight out of mind, powered off USB and connected via HDMI. It's designed for wireless use.

In my particular case, even though I live in a detached bungalow, something about the construction of the house really affects wireless signal. I've got a powerful router and I've tried various repeater and mesh products, but the amount of times the connection would drop midway through watching/doing something just got annoying. In the end I put up a loop of conduit around the house and every room has at least 1 wired connection - the only time I experience dropouts now is when the Virgin broadband drops out.

Regardless, you can't beat a physical connection where such a thing is possible.

As always, there's no one media device that's the best of all worlds, so you have to compromise on something.

There is no sacrifice that would be needed for wired ethernet support, even the basic USB powered devices from Amazon and Google have the ability to add in ethernet via an on-the-go device connected via that USB connector.
bilky asko and London Lite gave kudos
NW
nwtv2003
I note that Sky News has been added to NOW TV Entertainment. As a result of this Sky News HD is now available on BT TV channel 385.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
I note that Sky News has been added to NOW TV Entertainment. As a result of this Sky News HD is now available on BT TV channel 385.

Really. That's brilliant. This has been one of the only things I've been annoued about with BT. I'll be watching Sky News slightly more now.

More annoying though is the fact that the Now TV channel logos are tiny because they have to fit in the NOW logo. Of they were to remove that it would make for a much better user experience.
Last edited by Alfie Mulcahy on 9 February 2021 11:20pm
LL
London Lite Founding member
Sky News has been grouped with the Entertainment Pass since May 2020, but isn't part of any pass. You can buy any NOW TV Pass and Sky News and Sky Sports News work regardless.

On the Firestick however, it's 720p even with the NOW TV Boost, but obviously can't confirm if that's the case with BT through the EPG.
EL
eladkse

I can confirm that this is also true for Sport package subscribers, so correctly mirrors the 'passless' experience of regular NowTV.

They're also putting out an SD version on 313. Good for anyone in a Freeview Lite area, though it does mean anyone with full reception now has three versions of Sky News on their Youview guide (ditto for Sky Arts, though the Freeview version came later).

On the Firestick however, it's 720p even with the NOW TV Boost, but obviously can't confirm if that's the case with BT through the EPG.

BT does their own dedicated encoding for the NowTV channels delivered over the EPG, as it uses their multicast network - 1080p50 for all HD channels.
LL
I've just had a look on the Firestick and Sky News is now 1920x1080/25fps.

14 days later

MI
Michael
Can anyone with a Roku or NOWTV device please check what version of the app/channel is running on their device?

Cheers
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Can anyone with a Roku or NOWTV device please check what version of the app/channel is running on their device?

Cheers

Now TV Black Box, Software 9.3.3, Build 4109.
MI
Michael
Hmm OK - My NOWTV app on my RokuExpress is running v5.9, build 29
LL
On the NOW TV 4K Box, it's showing v9.3.3 - Build 4109-68.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Apple TV 6.3.9

4K Box 6.3.9

Fire stick 4K 5.7.6

YouView BT 4K 6.2.5
MI
Michael
I made an off-hand enquiry of the NowTV twitter team when us serfs with Roku Expresses could expect to have access to Sky Sports red button bonus sports streams (with one eye on the upcoming International games rather than the midweek EFL soccer or F1) and was told, to my surprise, that they were already available. After a back-and-for they sent me the same compatible device list that I've seen and check a thousand times, which seems to indicate they were mistaken. I was wondering if the NowTV app I have on my Roku box is out of date or not updatable or something.

Newer posts