TV Home Forum

Challenge - June 2016 onwards

#ChallengeAccepted (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
iloveTV1
Catchphrase stopped doing that in 1999 IIRC.
JA
james-2001
Hard for me to find much positive to say about the post-Walker era of catchphrase to be honest.
TV
iloveTV1
Hard for me to find much positive to say about the post-Walker era of catchphrase to be honest.

I’d say Mulhern’s is pretty good, but if you’re talking about the original, Nick Weir’s was terrible, and I think I’ve only seen one episode of Mark Curry’s Catchphrase.
JA
james-2001
Yep, I was talking about the Weir/Curry era.

Not sure if it was the case that Walker left and the producers decided to revamp it, or if it was another case of a producer trying to re-invent the wheel even though what they had already worked well.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Roy was dropped from the show. To be honest, in the last few series he was coming across rather tired and he has since even admitted himself that he was feeling the strain from recording four episodes a day.
JO
Johnr
Roy Walker at the bank

"I'd like to deposit £1000 in my account please"...

..."You know what (sticks hand inside jacket pocket and bank staff reach for the panic alarm) how about I deposit £2000!"

"And here's another £1000 I printed in the meantime!"
DE88 and paul_hadley gave kudos
JA
james-2001
It's good, but it's not right.
BA
bilky asko
I think its the exposed neon lighting that dates the later set most.

I wonder what the last gameshow was using exposed neon lighting. Catch Phrase?

15-to-1 is the one that I can immediately think of:

IN
Interceptor
I think its the exposed neon lighting that dates the later set most.

I wonder what the last gameshow was using exposed neon lighting. Catch Phrase?

15-to-1 is the one that I can immediately think of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m3VOdMEkx8

Yes of course. And the same applies, that set looks a generation earlier from the later/final set from the original run.
IN
Interceptor
Roy was dropped from the show. To be honest, in the last few series he was coming across rather tired and he has since even admitted himself that he was feeling the strain from recording four episodes a day.

Yeah agreed, there are episodes in that run where he really doesn't seem in to it.
KP
KelpieP0921
Yep, I was talking about the Weir/Curry era.

Not sure if it was the case that Walker left and the producers decided to revamp it, or if it was another case of a producer trying to re-invent the wheel even though what they had already worked well.

Deffo was a revamp for 21st century. TBH, working a lot at home this past 12 months and seeing the Nick Weir episodes, I actually think they are decent and 20 years on feel fresh and dare I say better than Mulhern. I think if Weir's era came along 3-5 years after Walker then it might have been better. Maybe it just seem to bomb with the public as it was a few months after Walker because it wasn't Walker (and Mr Chips to some extent) I think the set etc is decent.

I've also seen Challenge rattle through the Mark Curry eps and while he is ok, it's so awful looking at it the shell it was by then with canned audience and set blocking where the audience would have been etc out of breaks/closer. I'd forgotten too that they didn't mention the "points" rather than cash aspect... "Catchphrase for one-hundred..." and you fill in the blanks!

Interesting how Challenge showed the 2002 Catchphrase, now in the last year or so they've showed the Paul Hendy Wheel of Fortune (which I hadn't seen before on the channel, although not the John Leslie episodes from the Purple set with Terri). However we've never seen the Andy Collins 2002 Family Fortunes eps on Challenge.

One thing is after seeing more of Challenge - I miss Wheel of Fortune. Would love it back on tv (daytime probably works well with carousel and probably a better jackpot prize). Similar to what it was, not like the American version.
Last edited by KelpieP0921 on 3 February 2021 11:35am
PF
PFML84
I had no idea Nicky, although he recorded 8 series of the show, only totalled 135 episodes. Bradley only recorded 50 in a single series and John Leslie recorded a whopping 536 over 4 series. Paul Hendy recording only 30 episodes in his single series run. We only ever seem to see the Nicky or Bradley episodes on Challenge, I can't recall the last time we saw John's episodes. I don't think I'd want to see Paul's...

Aren't there rumours that WOF is coming back with Allison Hammond presenting, or am I going mad? I could have sworn I read that somewhere?

Newer posts