Should BBC One become... just BBC?

It works for ITV (January 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
Where's Perfect Curve when you need them? Laughing
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
ITV found it very easy to change to ITV1 also down to the fact the concept of the name ITV being used nationally didn't really kick in until the 1999 rebranding.

ITV was usually never the name of the channel, it was usually whichever ITV company you were living in.

For example, back in the 70s and 80s, people living in Manchester would not say what is on ITV tonight, they would say what is on Granada tonight?

So the ITV to ITV1 change was very easy for them to make, as there was not real sentimental attachment to the name ITV as a channel name compared to BBC One, which had been used since April 1964.

I don't know whether it has anything to do with living in the London region where the ITV company changed at the weekend, but in the 80s we certainly never called the third channel anything other than 'ITV'.
DE
deejay
News 24 was so called because the idea of a rolling 24 hour news service from the BBC was then completely new (at least in tv terms). The only 24 hour news channels were Sky News or US channels like CNN. The 24 was a key part of branding the station, and the fact that viewers could access BBC News when they wanted it and not when the BBC wanted it. To me, it made complete sense to drop the 24 when the channel had established, focussing on BBC News as the principal brand.

As for dropping the “One” I simply can’t see it happening. Apart from its cherished position on the EPG, and the nearly six decades of heritage, what would it achieve? Even if other linear channels close I can still see it retaining its BBC One name.

It would be interesting to hear how forum members compare this to Sky One, which has never made much sense to me. There was a very short lived Sky Two, but are they using the One moniker simply to denote entertainment and position it as a general viewing channel agains BBC One? Quite possibly.
MK
Mr Kite
ITV found it very easy to change to ITV1 also down to the fact the concept of the name ITV being used nationally didn't really kick in until the 1999 rebranding.

ITV was usually never the name of the channel, it was usually whichever ITV company you were living in.

For example, back in the 70s and 80s, people living in Manchester would not say what is on ITV tonight, they would say what is on Granada tonight?

So the ITV to ITV1 change was very easy for them to make, as there was not real sentimental attachment to the name ITV as a channel name compared to BBC One, which had been used since April 1964.

I don't know whether it has anything to do with living in the London region where the ITV company changed at the weekend, but in the 80s we certainly never called the third channel anything other than 'ITV'.

I think that and the fact Granada were a bit sniffy about the ITV brand, despite being a member of the Big Five and having to periodically make network trailers in the 70s & 80s. Also, many in the North West could get another region, particularly HTV. It was always called Granada in our house.

What is interesting is how quick this changed to ITV once the network branded promotions kicked in, in 1998. Even before the hearts idents had arrived, "on ITV" started being more common than "on Granada". I think the "TV of the heart" campaign, plus YTV's lackluster continuity which came in around the same time contributed heavily to this shift.
RL
Running Late
I suppose if BBC One dropped the One then they'd have to drop Oneness as well. Suddenly it seems like a good idea.
MK
Mr Kite
Further more to my comment above, despite the change to ITV1, people stubbornly tended to still call it ITV. Once "ITV1" was finally starting to take hold, they changed back to ITV again. You still hear the odd person say "ITV1" even now.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
No change for me please. If people colloquially say things like "The news is on 1, switch it over", "put 1 on for EastEnders" then just keep going with that. Also, being top of the EPG is a big deal these days so they should be proud of being at position 1 and include it in the name.

I'm pretty sure ITV found no-one was calling it ITV1 which is partly why they switched back. Same with STV. They changed it to Scottish for years, but people kept calling it STV. When they brought the Grampian/Scottish branding together they went back to STV - the easiest thing to say which many in the central belt were already using anyway.

EDIT: Just to add, from a branding point of view, I think the addition of The One Show in particular has meant there is quite a clear perception of what "BBC One" as a thing is and stands for. The flagship channel, a bit safe, for families, mainstream, varied, general entertainment, etc. You know what you are getting.
Last edited by scottishtv on 1 February 2021 10:43am
itvblocks, Rijowhi and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
MK
Mr Kite
How about "BBC Scotland on 1"?
CO
commseng
No matter how bad the current BBC One branding is, this is an even worse idea.
Nobody would have a clue what is being refered to either internally or as a viewer.
Only makes sense to somebody whose world rotates around branding.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
How about "BBC Scotland on 1"?

Haha, unfortunately that throwback to the 90s has since been replaced by "BBC Scotland on Freeview channel 9".
Roger Darthwell and Mr Kite gave kudos
RL
Running Late

I don't think the London region was ever referred to by viewers by anything other than ITV. When you think of all the on screen company names over the years, of which I can think of seven, it's no wonder.

Associated-Redifussion (what a mouthful)
ATV London
Redifussion London
Thames
London Weekend
LWT
Carlton
what and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member

I don't think the London region was ever referred to by viewers by anything other than ITV. When you think of all the on screen company names over the years, of which I can think of seven, it's no wonder.

Yes, it was always "ITV" here.

Newer posts