ITN and ITV News Memories (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
Ballyboy
Don’t see why they scrapped the morning news
LL
London Lite Founding member
Don’t see why they scrapped the morning news

Considering ITV own the Channel 3 breakfast franchise which has news and topical output from 6am, it no longer made sense to have an early morning bulletin which is then followed by a ITV produced bulletin at 6am, which is then followed with opinionated current affairs discussion.
Rijowhi and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
The Morning News lasted far longer than I think many thought it would. It effectively returned though with the GMB 6am half hour this year.
EX
excel99
DH33 posted:
In the latter years they used NBC reports not CNN I believe. Faye Barker was the last presenter when they cancelled the early morning news

Both NBC and CNN reports were used

86 days later

JW
JamesWorldNews
Some excellent pieces uploaded this evening to the @TVLive site: 50th Anniversary ITV News bulletins, where the likes of Anna Ford, Martyn Lewis and Gordon Honeycombe all rejoin ITN for one day only to mark the ITV/ITN milestone. Copresenting bulletins alongside Mary Nightingale and Mark Austin.
JK
JKDerry
Interesting seeing how people like Gordon Honeycombe felt on screen in the green screen virtual set of ITV News in 2005, a far cry from the sets and design of the studio they were used to. Gordon looking at the back screen for a live link, and you know it is a curved wall of green he saw.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Virtual sets of a reasonably fixed nature often have a feint projection of things like where the DTL will appear to help with eyelines etc
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Virtual sets of a reasonably fixed nature often have a feint projection of things like where the DTL will appear to help with eyelines etc

I can confirm this is exactly what ITV News does.
MA
Markymark

I can confirm this is exactly what ITV News does.

It's been used a long time. When the BBC weather went CSO in 1985, they employed the faint projection method
JA
Jamesypoo
You can see some photos on TV Ark of it in action.
JKDerry, Ghost and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
VM
VMPhil
I enjoyed Dermot Murnaghan's summing up of The Channel 4 Daily at the end of the final programme.

https://www.tvark.org/?page=media&mediaid=109732
JK
JKDerry
Can someone help me with this, as I have never had it explained before - how did and does ITV News get a reflection of the virtual backdrop on to the glass top of the news desk?

When they started the virtual studio in 2004, this was the one thing I had always wondered, as when the camera pans around, they have a proper reflection of the virtual news wall, it does look as if the wall is real.

However, when the ITV News Channel moved into the complete virtual Studio 1 for the times they were kicked out of Studio 2, due to ITV News rehearsals, the reflection on the desk top was not of the virtual backdrop, it was always the giveaway of knowing they had moved studios, along with the brighter colour of the desk.

For someone who is most certainly not technical, I would like this explained. Thank you.

Newer posts