The Newsroom

The BBC World News Thread

BBC World | 30 Years Anniversary - Page 127 (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AM
AM160
Quote:
harshy Founding member24 January 2021 12:42am
Here’s a wacky idea is there no way Breakfast could use the match of the day set, that would look amazing with a sunny virtual studio.

No way..
Owned by peel (or whoever the company trades as now)
Not enough OS lines
Clash on Saturday (MOTD would need to rehearse and B’fast would still be on air..)
Cost... it’d be far to expensive

However the VR/AR concept is a good idea for breakfast just not in the MOTD studio
harshy and Matthew_Fieldhouse gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Here’s a wacky idea is there no way Breakfast could use the match of the day set, that would look amazing with a sunny virtual studio.

Other than internal BBC politics probably not.
DT
DTV
I was just wondering, as most newsrooms have other news channels on screens for monitoring purposes, would ITN and Sky have access to BBC World News?
AndrewPSSP, Alfie Mulcahy and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
DE
deejay
DTV posted:
I was just wondering, as most newsrooms have other news channels on screens for monitoring purposes, would ITN and Sky have access to BBC World News?

Probably (though I don’t know for certain), but it’s still receivable free to air in the U.K. with a dish pointing at the right satellite I believe.
AndrewPSSP, Alfie Mulcahy and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
DV
dvboy
DTV posted:

Probably (though I don’t know for certain), but it’s still receivable free to air in the U.K. with a dish pointing at the right satellite I believe.

Yes it's free to air on 9°E, 13°E and in HD on 19.2°E.

They will have dishes pointing at those satellites for other channels too, to get pictures via foreign broadcasters.
BA
bilky asko
Indeed, you can even see a small triangular area on the right hand side of the desk where the overlaid image is where it shouldn't be.

I can't see it, can someone point it out.

Yes, see below:

UN
Universal_r
I was watching this morning and noticed that at 9am, the PM visiting Scotland was 2nd in the running order but during the world simulcast at 10am it was first. Surely if it’s the top story on a word simulcast it should be the top story on just domestic hours.
BR
Brekkie
What was the top UK story though? Understandable the possible break up of the UK might take precedence over a largely domestic story.
UN
Universal_r
I agree, I was just saying that it was weird that a story about infection rates not falling by much was higher than the PM visiting Scotland at 9am but at 10am with a world simulcast the PM visiting Scotland was first and the infection rates story was second to last in the headlines.

What stories take priority during daytime simulcasts (which is only really 10am) would it be UK ones?
HA
harshy Founding member
dvboy posted:
DTV posted:

Yes it's free to air on 9°E, 13°E and in HD on 19.2°E.

They will have dishes pointing at those satellites for other channels too, to get pictures via foreign broadcasters.

No subtitles or an EPG, but a glorious 9mbps HD picture it looks so detailed you can see the scratch marks in the studios.
UN
Universal_r
Since when did BBC news start adding world clocks onto their flipper? I thought it was only world news that did it. Tonight was the first time I noticed it. I did notice that the world news and news channel flipper were showing the same headlines which isn’t usually the case. They were not in sync though. Also the clocks that were being shown on the news channel flipper were not the same ones that were on world even though the flippers were in the same order.

Last edited by Universal_r on 30 January 2021 12:19am
MA
Meridian AM
The most annoying thing about the BBC News lower thirds is that waste of space semi transparent black bar. It needlessly hides part of the picture and looks ugly.

Newer posts