The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GI
ginnyfan
It's a complete mess. The remaining few CNNI shows are thrown around the schedule to fit Biden's events and CNN US coverage. You never know if the show will actually air or you'll get another hour of CNN US. #RIPCNNI
CF
CallumF
Am I right we were told to expect news about CNNi 'soon' following the other announcements a few weeks ago?
MA
Meridian AM
I actually tuned in at 8pm UK time especially for QMB but it wasn't on again - it was a US simulcast instead, of course. Rolling Eyes
Now I just happened to be flicking through and it seems Quest has shown up giving the latest Covid death numbers. Looks like he may be on until the top of the hour, when it will then no doubt return to hours of US simulcast. Rolling Eyes
AJ
AJB39
Am I right we were told to expect news about CNNi 'soon' following the other announcements a few weeks ago?

I thought that might be the case a couple of weeks ago after the CNN Domestic announcements but there has been silence since so I’m not so sure now. Tonight was just the start of the Second Trump Impeachment Trial coverage. Unfortunately there will be wall to wall coverage of the Trial on CNNI when it starts properly on February 8th.
NZ
nznewser
First comment from Bianca Nobilo in months, with a titbit on when the London shows can return:

All fair enough, but BBC World and other networks can operate from London within the current restrictions, so I don't know why CNN feels like they can only operate one show per day from there?
HE
headliner101
It seems clear from that Tweet that CNNI’s nerve centre is now London the way NY/DC is Domestic’s. So I wonder what would have happened if CNNI kept significant output from HK given that city has coped with the pandemic relatively well and had fewer restrictions?
LO
LivefromORL

I think the comment was more related to New York and Atlanta based shows, although London based shows will be the elephant in the room after CNN Domestic trues up its schedule.

Quote:
All of Monday's announcements were about D.C. postings, and further announcements are expected about time slots and anchor roles in other cities.
Source: https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/11/media/cnn-washington-dc-anchors-correspondents/index.html

The weekend slots have the biggest potential. I can see Acosta anchoring weekend primetime, a single or double headed bulletin before Brown, or taking over the Sunday edition of “New Day”(and giving Blackwell and Paul an extended Saturday morning schedule). Doubtful “SE Cupp Unfiltered” or “The Van Jones Show” will make a return.

I can’t see weekday announcements as being more than housekeeping (keeping “Newsroom” instead of “At This Hour” and “CNN Right Now” and officially giving Keilar the 2pm EST hour).
Last edited by LivefromORL on 27 January 2021 3:40am
NZ
nznewser
It seems clear from that Tweet that CNNI’s nerve centre is now London the way NY/DC is Domestic’s. So I wonder what would have happened if CNNI kept significant output from HK given that city has coped with the pandemic relatively well and had fewer restrictions?

Totally agree. Kristie Lu Stout is a senior CNN figure and could have anchored a version of Hala's show or YWT if they had maintained their HK operation.
DU
Dutchview
Paris correspondent Cyril Vanier giving comments from his livingroom during First Move but next time he better tidy up his closet Surprised
Also he uses a CNN Paris banner which is still wrapped up in plastic foil Shocked
SL
Shaun Linden
I would say it's purely a money issue now rather than covid. I'm sure all the international anchors could have done their shows from home in some form.
Jeffmister and AJB39 gave kudos
GI
ginnyfan
It all sounds like a cheap excuse to get rid of the whole thing. London is as insignificant to them as HK is, at this point.

BBC, Sky, AJE etc are all able to keep on producing non stop coverage from London but CNN treats is like a nuclear explosion site (''When it’s safe to run several shows from our London studio we’ll be back'' #BiancaTweet ) Rolling Eyes
Jeffmister, BFGArmy and AJB39 gave kudos
BF
BFGArmy
Indeed even if they did see the London studio as ‘no-go’ (which as mentioned most other news providers don’t and are largely able to do safely) most of the London anchors do have some form of WFH studio set-up so it seems a very deliberate decision to limit International output.

Even if London is ‘out of action’ too they could surely use Hong Kong as both Anna Coren and Kristie LuStout are experienced newscasters who have anchored on CNNI for years. Or even Robyn Curnow in Atlanta
Last edited by BFGArmy on 27 January 2021 3:52pm
Jeffmister and AJB39 gave kudos

Newer posts