TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
OV
Orry Verducci
ITV1 lose pictures during Quizmania. (may contain some flashing images)

(Edit: Then, when Quizmania does come back and the caller gets one of the questions correct, the presenter is cut off mid sentence!)

I wonder if that was automated or if somebody said “Okay it’s time to finish now” and cut the feed.

If you're talking about the presenter being cut off, both will be the answer.

The programme will have had a scheduled end time, and the automation would have been programmed to cut off the feed and go to the next event (the ident) at that time. The operator in ITV Pres could have overridden this to allow them more time, but my experience of feeding programmes to them is usually they won't. Their job is to keep the channel to time, and if a programme can't hit its end time they will happily let the automation do its thing and cut it off.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I suppose it depends on the programme. Easy and no decision to extend to finish coverage of the football for example, but not so much extending so Fred from Barnsley can win a bonus £100 by guessing rawlplugs or whatever.
SW
Steve Williams
I suppose it depends on the programme. Easy and no decision to extend to finish coverage of the football for example, but not so much extending so Fred from Barnsley can win a bonus £100 by guessing rawlplugs or whatever.

Well, the classic example of that was the Tic Tac incident on ITV football a decade ago, where seemingly an automated ad break hadn't been taken out of the schedule. I remember for the rest of the season there were some massive cue dots on ITV's football coverage, clearly they weren't taking any chances and doing everything manually.

As mentioned, if they don't go off when they're supposed to, it's often tough luck. On the night of the Scottish referendum, with STV's coverage was on the network, the rest of the UK was leaving at 6am while STV continued, but seemingly nobody got round to working out a clean opt so it was just chopped off mid-sentence at 6am.
DE88, UKnews and itvblocks gave kudos
JA
JAS84
How did that work? Did STV have to let ITV control three and half hours of time later to make up for them pre-empting the breakfast slot?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I daresay STV and GMTV would have been able to come to some agreement, perhaps sharing the ad revenue for that slot.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
BBC2's film falling off the air in 1996

DE88, Curto21 and itvblocks gave kudos
IT
itvblocks
BBC2's film falling off the air in 1996

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1agQBekN7Ws

Horrible noise as the sound dies at the beginning of the clip.
BE
Bennyboy1984
That noise is almost as bad as THAT Channel 4 clip Smile
JV
James Vertigan Founding member

Interesting to hear some different breakdown music from ITV instead of the usual ‘Signs’ by Dan Gautreau or the music from this clip:
RS
RSTV

Interesting to hear some different breakdown music from ITV instead of the usual ‘Signs’ by Dan Gautreau or the music from this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ceKsBHSqfY

id love to know what music was on there Very Happy
Last edited by RSTV on 28 January 2021 9:31am
IT
itvblocks
RSTV posted:

Interesting to hear some different breakdown music from ITV instead of the usual ‘Signs’ by Dan Gautreau or the music from this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ceKsBHSqfY

id love to know what music was on there Very Happy

Sounds like some sort of 80's styled track.
RS
RSTV
Quote:
It doesn't have a name, it's in-house ITV Audio.

So it dosent have a name then

Newer posts