TV Home Forum

Dancing on Ice 2021

(September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
steddenm
At least the music seems to be back to normal speed this week!
OA
Owen A
They don’t seem to be using the ‘pirated’ high pitch music today!
JK
JKDerry
First commercial break tonight consisted of - Rugby Six Nations promo, The Cabins Reunion promo, Marcella promo, The Pembrokeshire Murders trailer for the ITV Hub, Finding Alice ITV Hub promo and trailer, Love Bites ITV2 promo, The Bay promo.

Not ONE commercial at all!
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
First commercial break tonight consisted of - Rugby Six Nations promo, The Cabins Reunion promo, Marcella promo, The Pembrokeshire Murders trailer for the ITV Hub, Finding Alice ITV Hub promo and trailer, Love Bites ITV2 promo, The Bay promo.

This is not an unusual occurrence in early peak.
bilky asko and Score gave kudos
JK
JKDerry

I understand that, it just shows the padding used, as ITV have to keep within their ad quota per hour.
BR
Brekkie
Never understood really why they don't schedule it 7-9pm and save themselves the cost of the 8pm show considering ITV rarely air ads in the 6pm hour.

Ideally they'd take out two ad breaks which would help so much with the flow of the show and cost them nothing in advertising, and I'm sure wouldn't affect the sponsorship value too much, even if it does mean less ITV promos. Is noteable this year on both Saturday and Sundays when they seem to air pretty much a full ad break of just promos - I'm sure in previous years when that has been the case the breaks containing just promos are usually much shorter.

The other option which wouldn't reduce the number of breaks, and hence the sponsor bumpers, would be to just spread the ads over the ad breaks more evenly by having shorter ad breaks. Arguably a 2-3 minute break might keep viewers actually watching the ads rather than giving them time to put the kettle on.
SC
Score

I understand that, it just shows the padding used, as ITV have to keep within their ad quota per hour.

I don't see how it says anything about padding in the show though. I don't disagree that these early episodes have too little content to fill the slot but whatever ITV aired in the 6-6.30pm period would also not be able to have any adverts in it because of the (woefully outdated) 40 minute rule from OFCOM. It's the same with Catchphrase on Saturdays.

There are lots of things that illustrate how padded these early episodes are but the contents of the ad breaks are not one of them.

Never understood really why they don't schedule it 7-9pm and save themselves the cost of the 8pm show considering ITV rarely air ads in the 6pm hour.

Ideally they'd take out two ad breaks which would help so much with the flow of the show and cost them nothing in advertising, and I'm sure wouldn't affect the sponsorship value too much, even if it does mean less ITV promos. Is noteable this year on both Saturday and Sundays when they seem to air pretty much a full ad break of just promos - I'm sure in previous years when that has been the case the breaks containing just promos are usually much shorter.

The other option which wouldn't reduce the number of breaks, and hence the sponsor bumpers, would be to just spread the ads over the ad breaks more evenly by having shorter ad breaks. Arguably a 2-3 minute break might keep viewers actually watching the ads rather than giving them time to put the kettle on.

They normally have a 2 hour drama like Vera after it, hence the 6pm slot. Obviously they don't just now because of Covid-19 delays on drama production but I assume they will later in the series so wanted to maintain consistency. I think it was also about avoiding Call The Midwife, although arguably that would be less of an issue these days.

I think they are showing more promos in the early advert breaks this year because Catchphrase and DOI are getting better ratings than the shows in those slots do for most of the year, so they're just taking advantage of the chance to promote their shows to a bigger audience. With the soaps declining opportunities to promote dramas are clearly being found elsewhere.

I assume the reason why the ads are all stacked later in the show is because that is when audiences are higher, so they can command a higher rate than earlier in the show.
OA
Owen A
Gemma Collins is back...

Why?
JO
Jonwo
To promote the competition I assume.
JK
JKDerry
What are the current advertising quota limit per hour for ITV? I have always been fascinated at how restricted advertising on ITV etc are during the course of the day.

I do know the old style ITV regulators ITA and IBA did set the limits on commercial breaks, which is why when you watch a classic ITV drama from the seventies, such as Upstairs Downstairs or Callan, there are only two commercial breaks in the original layout.

What are the current limits now in 2021, and do these also affect Channel 4 and Channel 5?

THANKS
DE
deejay
It’s quite complicated and you can find all the rules on ofcoms website if you want to. But in essence (and as I understand it)
- average of 7 minutes per hour per day (0600-0559)
- up to an average of 8 minutes of advertising per hour in peak (07-0900 and 18-2300)
- maximum of 12 minutes in any one clock hour

The scheduling of breaks within peak is critical and cleverly arranged to fit within the framework but also maximise ad airtime.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/16328/rules.pdf
JO
Josh
Denise van Outen has withdrawn from the competition due to an injury.

Newer posts