TV Home Forum

The Chase | Beat the Chasers

Beat the Chasers S2 launches Sun 3 Jan (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TW
twolf
I also thought James fitted into the role of chaser very well. Like the GSN version a few years back I feel like the flow is hindered by the Chasers having to reveal what they chose rather than the graphics.

I read that the first episode broadcast was the last one recorded, so don't think we'll see the host improve over time, as the first one we saw should have been when she was most comfortable with the role.
BR
Brekkie
Will be interesting to see the other Chaser in their role as they seem very quiet in the Chasers lounge.

8 days later

UB
UBox
Just spotted this on Twitter: Beat The Chasers has been commissioned in Spain as "La Noche de los Cazadores" which is "The Night of the Hunters". https://www.itvstudios.com/news/beat-the-chasers-travels-to-spain
It only launched in Spain last year but seems to be performing well as they've just added a fifth chaser this week too.

Suprised Germany hasn't decided to give it a go yet, think their version has been going for longer than any of the other international ones.
BR
Brekkie
Brad by far the most entertaining of the three US Chasers - seems to naturally fit the role. Format still very flawed though - just 8 questions answered correctly in the three cashbuilders and everybody so far has played with what they've won. The Head to Heads seem to really drag as well.

8 days later

UB
UBox
Channel 7 has parted ways with Chase Australia presenter Andrew O'Keefe. He is currently facing allegations of domestic abuse, which obviously should not be discussed here. New episodes of TCA began airing last week and one article predicted that sacking him and cancelling upcoming prerecorded episodes could cost $15m. 7 are yet to decide who will host the show in the future. There was some speculation that 7 weren't renewing his contract, prior to the allegations becoming public.

Seems they'll now have to decide on a new host. Other international versions have changed host during their run. I hope that the personality of the Chasers running over will be enough to keep viewers invested in the format despite a host change.

https://tvblackbox.com.au/page/2021/02/02/seven-confirms-departure-of-andrew-okeefe-after-brilliant-but-troubled-career/?feed_id=35254&fbclid=IwAR1YemjhuykklBA68Z2q-Yo9lDEa8Ww5UaTrXcwqvNXHZdZ1begrhGozZGY&amp=1
JA
JAS84
They're currently down two Chasers too (Anne and Mark), because they're from our version and can't fly out.
DE88 and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Putting aside his personal issues (which have impacted production previously) I've always thought he was a poor host - very much in the mould of a 70s/80s gameshow host IMO.

I would hope though they air any episodes in the can - it's unfair on the contestants not to, especially if they don't pay out for unbroadcast episodes. From that article it sounds like he was out of contract anyway, and six months worth of episodes sees them through this year. I suspect they'll actually rush them to air ahead of any trial rather than postpone them in the hope he's found not guilty.
DE88, Cando and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
They'll probably get one of Seven's many personalities to replace him although perhaps this is a chance for Grant Denyer to make his return to the network.
JO
Jon
I wonder if Bradley fancies spending a few weeks every year down under. He might be a bit less busy now he’s not doing Doctor Who too. Unlikely anytime soon though!
JO
Jonwo
Jon posted:
I wonder if Bradley fancies spending a few weeks every year down under. He might be a bit less busy now he’s not doing Doctor Who too. Unlikely anytime soon though!

Given he's filming The Larkins in the Spring plus his other TV commitments, I think the chances of him presenting the Australian version is pretty slim.
UB
UBox
I imagine they'll want to make a decision pretty quickly and start getting new episodes in the bag. Since COVID and Anne and Mark have been unable to get out there they've been airing repeats on Thursdays and Fridays but with a change of host I doubt they'd want to air old repeats. Maybe a good opportunity to have a slight refresh, do some set updates and make Tiger Mum a permanent Chaser.
JO
Jonwo
UBox posted:
I imagine they'll want to make a decision pretty quickly and start getting new episodes in the bag. Since COVID and Anne and Mark have been unable to get out there they've been airing repeats on Thursdays and Fridays but with a change of host I doubt they'd want to air old repeats. Maybe a good opportunity to have a slight refresh, do some set updates and make Tiger Mum a permanent Chaser.

They really should focus on having permanent Australian Chasers which isn't a slight on Mark and Anne but with the travel restrictions, it'd be easier for Seven to use homegrown talent and have the UK Chasers on as guest Chasers when things do get back to normal.

Newer posts