The Newsroom

Larry King has died

“The King is Dead” (January 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
Always take Piers Morgan with a pinch of salt. He is a hypocrite of the highest order for decades. His career has been tarnished, especially with the Iraq War photo scandal when he was at the Mirror newspaper which caused his firing.

Ian Hislop knows at first hand what Piers is like, and he is appalling. He is the man who has shouted and roared at ministers, accusing them of hypocrisy over the pandemic, and then this last Christmas Piers jetted off on a Christmas holiday, going against all rules and restrictions in place.

God knows why CNN chose him to replace Larry King.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
The right thing to do as it gave time to get Wolf in to do this tribute.

A slight hint of emotion from Blitzer at the end of the hour:

Also, I hate those reminder boxes, but fair play to the designer of this updated graphic - the look of Larry King Live was instantly recognisable:

GI
ginnyfan
I hope we get a daytime replay of that special on CNNI. For once they have something worth watching in primetime /European overnight.
JW
JamesWorldNews
This was very ‘Larry’.

GI
ginnyfan
^^^That was great, James. Thanks for sharing. Thumbs up

One of Larry's best qualities was his neutrality. You never really knew what is his political or any other standing or view. He was able to talk to people from all sides and treat them fairly and hear them out. He was able to survive on both CNN and RT because the Larry King interview style was stronger than any ideology.

That's something that's sorely missing these days when opinionated talking heads dominate the media.
DJ
DJGM
Here's Conan O'Brien's take on the passing of Larry King . . .

SC
scottishtv Founding member
I won't fill this thread with any more clips, but I thought some here might find this short excerpt featuring Ted Turner interesting:

CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Always take Piers Morgan with a pinch of salt. He is a hypocrite of the highest order for decades. His career has been tarnished, especially with the Iraq War photo scandal when he was at the Mirror newspaper which caused his firing.

Don't forget the phone hacking that went on at the Mirror whilst he was editor. Though as he knew nothing about that going on one can only assume he wasn't a particularly inquiring or competent editor.

Ref a UK equivalent I guess one of the closest that springs to mind was perhaps Breakfast With Frost.

(Edit to fix typo.)
Last edited by Charlie Wells on 23 January 2021 8:57pm
GI
ginnyfan
Nice touch with this familiar background behind Ana Cabrera right now!

CF
CallumF
Nice touch with this familiar background behind Ana Cabrera right now!

Yes, lovely touch!

CNN have had a steady stream of good, big guests throughout the day, which likely says a lot about Larry King himself - was very surprised to be watching a moment ago and up comes Robert DeNiro via video call!
DE88 and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
NE
Newsroom
Sorry to repeat myself but I did ask
CNN will broadcast a remembrance special for Larry King at 9pm ET (0200 GMT)

That's good to know, are there any further details? Is it taped or live?

Bakerman where are the details to this show?
SA
Satnap
We have lost a legend today. Always seemed a lovely guy. Very sad news.

Newer posts