The Newsroom

Joe Biden's Inauguaration

TV Coverage - 20th January

BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
CNN has a lot to answer for, as do all the news channels in America over what occurred in the past four year. Their constant reporting and analysis of Trump and everything he said and did led to what happened on 6th January.

Trump led to what Trump did on 6th January, and the media organisations that let his comments go unchallenged for so long.
Be nicer and more tolerant to each other. Them's the rules.
SL
Shaun Linden Recently warned Central Reporting Scotland
CNN has a lot to answer for, as do all the news channels in America over what occurred in the past four year. Their constant reporting and analysis of Trump and everything he said and did led to what happened on 6th January.

Trump led to what Trump did on 6th January, and the media organisations that let his comments go unchallenged for so long.

The media gave him coverage pretty much non stop. It doesn't matter if CNN were fact checking, they were relentless, providing food for right wing nuts and Fox News.

We should all be thankful news is news here.
Jeffmister, Independent and ginnyfan gave kudos
GI
ginnyfan World News
^^^^ Good to see some objective thoughts on the topic.

Yes, Trump was a hot mess from start to finish but it was the media, led with CNN that fuelled it even more, over-hyping everything and trying to find something to be outraged about even on ''quiet''days.

CNN & co had many chances to cover other topics and look for something informative and deserving of media attention but they had no interest in it because Trump meant ratings. It's very simple really.....
Ghost and Independent gave kudos
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
On the other hand being silent is being complicit, something some broadcasters here have been accused of being guilty of themselves when it comes to politics this side of the pond.
Be nicer and more tolerant to each other. Them's the rules.
Mouseboy33, Ratflump and AJB39 gave kudos
JO
Jonwo

I’m sure on The Last Leg tomorrow they’ll have a marching band and party poppers going off, but give it a few months and they’ll realise they’ve lost one of the 2 main topics they cover on the show. If we ever get a Labour government here again I’m not sure what they’d do for content.

It'll be the same as all the topical comedy shows did between 1997 and 2010 - there's always something to make jokes about no matter who's in government. All governments mess up, make blunders, say stupid things.

And of course it's not the case that when Labour are in opposition they get a free ride from comedians, there was plenty of jokes at Corbyn, Milliband and Kinnock. And vice versa of course.

Because of the pandemic the current Labour opposition hasn't really made an impact, or had a chance to do a great deal so far so they've not really appeared much in comedy. Plus the amount of material coming from two incompetent, populist administrations on each side of the Atlantic would overshadow anything they did do

Spitting Image made fun of Keir Starmer but that’s pretty much it.

Boris has been a target for comedy for years and I think he’s aware of it judging by the fact he went on HIGNFY and doing crazy stunts like getting stuck on a zip wire when he was Mayor of London and rugby tackling a child.
bakamann and AndrewPSSP gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
Jonwo posted:

Boris has been a target for comedy for years and I think he’s aware of it judging by the fact he went on HIGNFY and doing crazy stunts like getting stuck on a zip wire when he was Mayor of London and rugby tackling a child.

He's definately aware of it, that is his act. His entire career and popularity has been built on that persona.

Problem is that is all its based on....
JO
Jonwo
Jonwo posted:

He's definately aware of it, that is his act. His entire career and popularity has been built on that persona.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if when he leaves politics, he ends up on something like Strictly or IAC.
JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today
Jonwo posted:

Yes, I’ve always thought the main difference between Boris and Trump is, Boris is quite bright but he wants to you to think he’s a moron, but it’s the other way round with Trump.
HC
Hatton Cross Central (West) Midlands Today
This.. The best deconstruction of that loveable 'idiot' image, courtesy of John Oliver on HBO

Note - contains words of swearage
Readers are warned that this post contains some flash photography
BA
bakamann London World News
Jonwo posted:
Jonwo posted:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if when he leaves politics, he ends up on something like Strictly or IAC.

When Sean Spicer became one of the performers on Dancing with the Stars in the US, that gave people a lot of cringe.
Formerly theBlockerPH
MO
Mouseboy33
Jonwo posted:

When Sean Spicer became one of the performers on Dancing with the Stars in the US, that gave people a lot of cringe.

SNL and Melissa McCartney captured him perfectly.
I'm here to give you something to talk about! You're Welcome.
https://youtu.be/1g18oiI2WIU
IN
Independent World News
^^^^ Good to see some objective thoughts on the topic.

Yes, Trump was a hot mess from start to finish but it was the media, led with CNN that fuelled it even more, over-hyping everything and trying to find something to be outraged about even on ''quiet''days.

CNN & co had many chances to cover other topics and look for something informative and deserving of media attention but they had no interest in it because Trump meant ratings. It's very simple really.....

I believe there was some analysis that concluded the US media effectively gave Trump a free advertising boost during the 2016 campaign. It's one thing to consider all possible candidates but it seems they went far beyond that. The consequence of the news media chasing ratings IIRC. That should make those in charge of editorial decisions think about the consequences of giving a disproportionate amount of time to "entertaining" candidates over serious ones.

Newer posts