The Newsroom

Joe Biden's Inauguaration

TV Coverage - 20th January (January 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CF
CallumF
AJB39 posted:
The virtual inaugural parade isn’t really working. CBSN and PBS are showing it online but few others seem to be covering it. CNN showed about 3 minutes of it and then cut away.

I think the timing of the virtual parade didn't really help - e.g. VP Harris was still on her way to The White House - and now before you know it, she's back at the Capitol.

Maybe would have been better to combine it with tonight's event which is after the rest of the day's events? Primetime on all the U.S. networks too.
TM
TMD_24
Wolf is back in the CNN Washington studio now with a virtual Capitol Hill backdrop behind him.

EDIT: Looks like he is based in the Election Centre with a fancy desk and John King next to him.
Last edited by TMD_24 on 20 January 2021 10:08pm
UT
UTVLifer
I had the BBC, ITV and Sky coverage on at the same time and for me unlike election night there was no clear winner:

The BBC had those chunky lower thirds on all through the inauguration and they really got in the way. Christian Fraser having to self isolate at the last moment was a shame as it felt like Katty Kay could have done a co-partner to bounce off, even James Reynolds.

ITV were alright as they didn't have many/any graphics during the swearing in of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris however the programme was presented by Tom Bradby who never seems comfortable doing these sorts of live events. Also the desk in the 'studio' felt like it was ITV News live from a sandpit

Moving onto Sky News, now I understand that Kay Burley being suspended plus the 3rd lockdown will have thrown any places they had in place up a bit but couldn't the Sky news bosses have sent anyone over than Adam Boulton to anchor from Washington. Adam generally goes off on a tangent or talking about how he feels. It did at several points feel like Omarosa Manigault Newman was doing the presenting and Adam was the guest. Plus Sky gave a half hearted reboot/last outing for the election package
Last edited by UTVLifer on 21 January 2021 12:01pm
MA
Meridian AM
There was a clear winner - CNN!
LL
London Lite Founding member
I watched CNN US on the main tv and Sky News on the phone. Sky's coverage unlike that of previous events was functional than anything, obviously not helped by staff shortages.

CNN I think set the tone and that continued throughout the day.

One thing I'm looking forward to now is the return to some form of normality of covering U.S. politics instead of the last four years of rollercoaster coverage of the Trump era which have transformed rolling news channels in the States into commentary formats.
AJ
AJB39
Already it’s so refreshing to have a lot more discussion of policies rather then controversies on CNN. Also barely a mention of Trump which makes such a change!
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Jon Sopel's report on the inauguration for Wednesday night's BBC News at Ten:

CW
CraigWills
I had the BBC, ITV and Sky coverage on at the same time and for me unlike election night there was no clear winner:

The BBC had those chunky lower thirds on all through the inauguration and they really got in the way. Christian Fraser having to self isolate at the last moment was a shame as it felt like Katty Kay could have done a co-partner to bounce off.

ITV were alright as they didn't have many/any graphics during the swearing in of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris however the programme was presented by Tom Bradby who never seems comfortable doing these sorts of live events. Also the desk in the 'studio' felt like it was ITV News live from a sandbox

Moving onto Sky News, now I understand that Kay Burley being suspended plus the 3rd lockdown will have thrown any places they had in place up a bit but couldn't the Sky news bosses have sent anyone over than Adam Boulton to anchor from Washington. Adam generally goes off on a tangent or talking about how he feels. It did at several points feel like Omarosa Manigault Newman was doing the presenting and Adam was the guest. Plus Sky gave a half hearted reboot/last outing for the election package

Sky have lacked a second Washington DC anchor today actually. Adam has been on since 1pm and disappeared between 8pm-10pm to allow him to come back for News at Ten, with Dermot doing the 8pm hour and Anna Botting hosting a special inauguration programme at 9pm from the Glass Box. Adam remains on air now for the midnight hour, with the press briefing being shown live now. Having someone else who could have took over for the evening shift UK time would have benefited them, but I suppose Sky are a little short on presenters right now.
I do think Sky have stronger presenters, although Adam is most comfortable with being on location whereas others may be in uncharted territory. Adam also swore at one point I understand during the live inauguration itself (didn’t hear myself but I was flicking between coverage)
LL
Fox News decide to be bitchy about the new White House Press Secretary despite the former one being a commentator for Fox News!

LL
BBC News, BBC World News, BBC One and CNNi are showing Celebrating America in the UK.

Most of the US networks alongside cable news channels are also showing the programme except for Fox and Fox News.

CNBC Europe is showing usual Asian output, but the US channel is showing the concert.
BA
bakamann
Fox News decide to be bitchy about the new White House Press Secretary despite the former one being a commentator for Fox News!

Fox News seems to have forgotten that Trump's last press secretary Kayleigh McEnany, who only done press briefings a handful of times, is a Former CNN commentator and an Anti-Trumper... before she drank the kool-aid. Rolling Eyes

BBC News, BBC World News, BBC One and CNNi are showing Celebrating America in the UK.

Most of the US networks alongside cable news channels are also showing the programme except for Fox and Fox News.

Looks like BBC were just waiting for the President to give his speech, they are back to the newscast and interviewing someone.
UN
Universal_r

CNBC Europe is showing usual Asian output, but the US channel is showing the concert.

The bbc keep dipping in and out, sky news doing the same.

Newer posts