The Newsroom

Tyne Tees & Border/Look North (NE & Cumbria)

Amy Lea succeeds Pam Royle at TT&B (December 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
She’s quoted as saying it would not be ITV policy for her to work 3 days. At present she does 4. Not a surprise with her lengthy absences she’s ready to reduce her workload.

Quoted where?
GH
Ghost
She’s quoted as saying it would not be ITV policy for her to work 3 days. At present she does 4. Not a surprise with her lengthy absences she’s ready to reduce her workload.

Quoted where?

It’s from The Northern Echo article posted on the last page:

Quote:
“If I could have done it for three days a week, that would have been perfect. Sadly, that’s not ITV policy, so the time's right to move on, and give someone else the opportunity of one of the region's best jobs.”

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/opinion/columnists/19019008.royle-salute-popular-north-east-tv-news-presenter-bows-nearly-40-years/
MA
Meridian AM

BR
Brekkie
Considering the earlier statement about her wishing to continue three days a week it's interestingly that unlike the Channel Islands post the job advert it doesn't state how many days a week it is and has the postnote:
Quote:
We want to be the most flexible employer in Media. We offer Smart working and we will support you and provide you the right environment and work/ life balance.
CW
CraigWills
Considering the earlier statement about her wishing to continue three days a week it's interestingly that unlike the Channel Islands post the job advert it doesn't state how many days a week it is and has the postnote:
Quote:
We want to be the most flexible employer in Media. We offer Smart working and we will support you and provide you the right environment and work/ life balance.

Well I was surprised that Pam said that, because as viewer in Tyne Tees it seems like the two main presenters, Pam and Ian are both absent fairly frequently - never seems like we’re too far from the next appearance from one of the reporters.

I would like to have hoped had Pam asked to do just a few days week then it would have allowed, as pointed out Central have done that. Perhaps she doesn’t want to just ‘fade out’ and would rather properly leave, and just saying she would have in theory liked doing just a couple of days.
Last edited by CraigWills on 22 January 2021 11:38pm
BR
Brekkie
You would think actually as people were replaced they'd look to try and restore a 5 day working week as the norm. It's good though that ITV are seemingly committed to dual headed presentation in the regions when they could probably have switched some to single headed formats given departures of the last year.
South Today and Rijowhi gave kudos
CW
CraigWills
You would think actually as people were replaced they'd look to try and restore a 5 day working week as the norm. It's good though that ITV are seemingly committed to dual headed presentation in the regions when they could probably have switched some to single headed formats given departures of the last year.

Yes I’m somewhat surprised, although pleased to see them continue. I do think double headed suits the regions well but as London/Wales show (and the BBC local news here in the NE & Cumbria*) it’s certainly not a necessity.

*BBC Look North pre-pandemic would sort of use the sports presenter as a secondary presenter who does a chunk of the last part of the programme with the main host.
SI
Siggy

Back in the late 90’s Anglia News’ main “at 6” team used to consist of three faces (for promo photos, adverts etc) and you’d see any pairing combination of those three throughout the week (so they each did 3/4 days). Made it more consistent and a lot less often that a reporter would fill-in. Probably more flexible for the presenters themselves too!

Surprised some regions don’t take that approach nowadays with the amount of time some of their main presenter pairings aren’t on screen.
Last edited by Siggy on 23 January 2021 12:27am
BR
Brekkie
Yes, Central did the same for a period and it certainly makes sense. Of course this ad doesn't and can't specify they are looking for a female anchor, just like the Channel one doesn't specify a male anchor, but I can't remember the last time I saw either Granada Reports or Northwest Tonight anchors by two women or two men - but back in the 90s it frequently happened with Central News with Michelle and Llewela, and then with Joanne.
MA
Meridian AM
Central News (East) main 6pm anchors were 2 women - Llewela and Marie (2000 - 2001; which was also IMO when the programme had its best ever 'look' titles and music-wise).
https://www.tvark.org/?page=media&mediaid=94175
I can't think of any other news programmes that have had 2 main presenters of the same gender since then.

How long has it been now since all ITV national news bulletins became 'single headed?
TO
Towielad
Central News (East) main 6pm anchors were 2 women - Llewela and Marie (2000 - 2001; which was also IMO when the programme had its best ever 'look' titles and music-wise).
I can't think of any other news programmes that have had 2 main presenters of the same gender since then.

How long has it been now since all ITV national news bulletins became 'single headed?

GMB sometimes has Ranvir and Kate together not sure whether Charlotte has double headed with another one of the female team.
CW
CraigWills

GMB sometimes has Ranvir and Kate together not sure whether Charlotte has double headed with another one of the female team.

Charlotte has done with both Kate & Ranvir I believe. I think it’s somewhat noticeable that they are trying to avoid double female pairings on GMB; Adil Ray, Sean Fletcher and Alex Beresford have been favoured in recent times to co-host alongside Kate, Charlotte or Ranvir.

Newer posts