TV Home Forum

Steph's Packed Lunch

Weekdays at 12.30 (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
Johnr posted:
Interesting comment over on the Digital Spy ratings thread, apparently during a podcast Jacqui Smith who appears quite often on the show mentioned they send a taxi to her home in Great Malvern to take her to Leeds then back again, a 300 mile round trip of 3 hours each way! (for a 90 minute show)

I’m pretty sure that kind of thing is quite normal in TV and national radio. I believe the slightly more popular Match of the Day’s presenters/pundits get (or at least did) get taxis from wherever they’re based in the country too. These types of programmes cost a lot of money to produce so it’s probably a relatively small amount in the grand scheme of things.
JO
Jonwo
Quote:

I’m pretty sure that kind of thing is quite normal in TV and national radio. I believe the slightly more popular Match of the Day’s presenters/pundits get (or at least did) get taxis from wherever they’re based in the country too. These types of programmes cost a lot of money to produce so it’s probably a relatively small amount in the grand scheme of things.

I would guess they don’t want the contributors or the talent using public transport so it’s a expense they’re willing to pay.

I wonder if any presenters or talent have offered to drive themselves to the studio rather than get a car and driver to bring them to the studio?
RL
Running Late
Johnr posted:
Interesting comment over on the Digital Spy ratings thread, apparently during a podcast Jacqui Smith who appears quite often on the show mentioned they send a taxi to her home in Great Malvern to take her to Leeds then back again, a 300 mile round trip of 3 hours each way! (for a 90 minute show)

I know Kirsty Wark was getting first class rail travel from Glasgow Central into London, hotel accommodation, then taxis to and from station/hotel/studio just to present a couple of editions of Newsnight a week. What possible difference would it make to the programme if they'd got someone that lived closer to home?
IS
Inspector Sands
Also they want them to get there reliably and on time which is more likely in a cab than on public transport. Also a taxi allows the guests to prepare and arrive reasonably fresh and not flustered

Also if you're wanting a guest to travel a way to appear on a show, for probably a low appearance fee, then it's the least you can do
MA
Markymark
Jonwo posted:

I would guess they don’t want the contributors or the talent using public transport so it’s a expense they’re willing to pay.

Using public transport also increases the risk of infection for more people
FL
Flux
Jonwo posted:

I know of quite a few studios and live production houses who's Covid guidelines state no one can use public transport to get to the facilities, even in London. The risk of infection is so much greater on public transport than driving or taking a cab, and in the case of live shows (especially daily live shows like Steph) it's worth remembering that just one positive test could completely derail the production - imagine a runner who's brought everyone drinks testing positive? Suddenly everyone they've come in contact with - camera, gallery, talent - are in immediate quarantine.

As a result I think live productions like Steph's need a higher level of covid safety precautions than your average office/pre record show needs, and the cost of getting a few long distance taxis negates the precautionary cost of re-crewing the production on short notice if a large group are required to quarantine!
DE88, Josh and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
NG
noggin Founding member
Jonwo posted:

In the overnights Steph's Packed Lunch has been consistently rating around 200k since Jan 4th.

The One O'Clock News on BBC One has been rating between 3.7 and 4.1m since Jan 11th, just to illustrate the ratings competition. Loose Women is getting 1.1-1.3m

Would be interesting to see how Channel 5 and BBC Two do in that slot.

Yesterday
BBC Two
Politics Live 1215-1300 400k
Hannah Fry's Mysterious World of Maths 1400-1500 (part of secondary school lockdown learning) 100k

C5
Nightmare Tenants, Slum Landlords 1220-1315 200k
Neighbours 1345-1415 700k.
AndrewPSSP and Jonwo gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
Flux posted:
Jonwo posted:

I know of quite a few studios and live production houses who's Covid guidelines state no one can use public transport to get to the facilities, even in London. The risk of infection is so much greater on public transport than driving or taking a cab, and in the case of live shows (especially daily live shows like Steph) it's worth remembering that just one positive test could completely derail the production - imagine a runner who's brought everyone drinks testing positive? Suddenly everyone they've come in contact with - camera, gallery, talent - are in immediate quarantine.

As a result I think live productions like Steph's need a higher level of covid safety precautions than your average office/pre record show needs, and the cost of getting a few long distance taxis negates the precautionary cost of re-crewing the production on short notice if a large group are required to quarantine!

I wonder how contestants for gameshows get to the studios? I assume they have taxis as well.
BR
Brekkie
O/T but Countdown today had two Londoners on - for a period they were limiting contestants to a 50 mile radius of the studios. Presumably with the general public you can limit contestants to those who can drive in rather than spend money on taxis for them.
JO
Johnr
Now you've got me thinking...what happens to champions when they roll over to the next filming day - do they just get booked in a hotel next door to the studios, although presumably ALL contestants have to bring up to 8 different shirts just in case!
JO
Jonwo
Johnr posted:
Now you've got me thinking...what happens to champions when they roll over to the next filming day - do they just get booked in a hotel next door to the studios, although presumably ALL contestants have to bring up to 8 different shirts just in case!

They film 5 shows a day IIRC so I imagine it wouldn't be too hard for someone to stay overnight and bring extra clothes.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Countdown is one of the game formats that could be played remotely, with contestants either at home or in a local DTL studio appearing on plasma screens on-set.

Indeed if you search YouTube for "ZoomDown" you'll find that the Countdown fan community have been amusing themselves with a DIY version featuring ex champs (including current Countdown producer Damian Eadie) and guest appearances from the likes of Susie Dent.

Newer posts