The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HE
headliner101
Don’s big announcement? He wrote a book, titled “This is the Fire: What I say to my Friends about Racism”.

"...and now the news at 10pm: My new book! and it's going to help heal America. "

Haha, they let him talk about it for a full 15 minutes. Even I'm a bit surprised.

For what it's worth, whenever politicians and TV personalities come on promoting their book, I would rather listen to their audio book (contents are identical anyway). They sound great when you hear them read the passages. Problem is there is no Netflix or Spotify equivalent for audiobooks in the sense that unlimited audiobook schemes for one monthly price do not exist.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
At the risk of repeating myself, I think the heavily-opinionated hosts will have to become less outraged once the focus is on a new administration. Other than the upcoming senate impeachment trial (if it happens), they will quickly run out of content as the world is moving on and there isn't a constant stream of new Trump tweets to be outraged about. They can't keep running footage of the storming of the Capitol forever.

I just can't see Cuomo and Lemon having nuanced conversations about healthcare policy or business tax rates. Either they leave or change direction somehow?
NE
Newsroom
Don's book seems to be doing alright today...

HAHA! They all go to #1 on Amazon when announced. It's no biggie really. They'll slap it on the cover before it goes to print.
GI
ginnyfan
So another one to profit from Trump era by writing a silly book. They are all Trump-made cash hunters.

We in Europe are blessed to have these clowns overnight so we never really see them, but still, Asia and other parts of the world have to suffer through them daily. It's a scary thought.....
MA
Meridian AM
Christiane Amanpour was on ITV's Good Morning Britain with Piers Morgan today, discussing the UK papers, the virus, the inauguration, etc.

Re CNN US - they really need to tone down the amount of opinion and concentrate on being a 24/7 news channel. It shouldn't be a place for the newsreaders to promote their books.
At least ITN's Tom Bradby went onto Alan Titchmarsh's ITV Sunday show to sell his book this week. Imagine if he started trying to promote it during News at Ten Very Happy Shocked
CH
chinamug
So another one to profit from Trump era by writing a silly book. They are all Trump-made cash hunters.

We in Europe are blessed to have these clowns overnight so we never really see them, but still, Asia and other parts of the world have to suffer through them daily. It's a scary thought.....

He made it clear that he wasn't doing it for the money, he basically said that no one makes money from books unless you're writing a Harry Potter. In other words he's already so well off that any cash made won't be noticed.

This has come up a good few times between himself and Cuomo, they both do very well from CNN and they don't hide it. There have been 3 and 4 minute conversations in the past on who has the better boat and when was Don going to upgrade his boat. Shocked
LO
LivefromORL
I’m okay with opinion shows on CNN if there’s a clear distinguisher between shows and news, such as an opinion based graphics package which changes to the regular branding during breaking news and a dedicated newsreader role.
Last edited by LivefromORL on 19 January 2021 5:13pm - 2 times in total
BF
BFGArmy
I have to say it’s noticable when it’s the serious setpiece events like inaugurations, elections etc that it’s Lemon and Cuomo who are stuck on overnight duty when Domestic viewers will be fast asleep whereas Blitzer, Cooper, Bash, Tapper are on the main coverage.

Feel it’s pretty telling of Cuomo and Lemon’s relative position in the pecking order.
MA
Meridian AM

BA
bakamann

CNN Philippines will certainly be in a bind. Their broadcast of Amanpour relies on CNNI's broadcast, recorded to be aired later in the day. Looks like they will be airing much older episodes, I guess.
HC
Hatton Cross
I have to say it’s noticable when it’s the serious setpiece events like inaugurations, elections etc that it’s Lemon and Cuomo who are stuck on overnight duty when Domestic viewers will be fast asleep whereas Blitzer, Cooper, Bash, Tapper are on the main coverage.

Feel it’s pretty telling of Cuomo and Lemon’s relative position in the pecking order.

Is it though?
11pm in New York/Wash D.C is 8pm in Los Angeles - that's not exactly 'stuck on overnight duty'.

One mans late night is another's peak time.
BF
BFGArmy

Is it though?
11pm in New York/Wash D.C is 8pm in Los Angeles - that's not exactly 'stuck on overnight duty'.

One mans late night is another's peak time.

I was referring though more to coverage like the election and the recent vote count/Capitol insurrection rather than their usual slots which are bang in primetime. During the election and recent vote Count where they very much were much on during the 'burning the midnight oil' hours until New Day started.
Given they're on in primetime normally you'd expect them to be on with Blitzer, Cooper, Bash,Tapper on the 'main coverage' on big events when eyes are particularly glued to cable news. However Cuomo and Lemon are usually not so you'd say they're perhaps a tier below in how CNN view them.

It's a fair point on the West Coast time but US channels do seem to be more focussed rightly or wrongly on the East Coast.
You have live domestic shows starting at 4am ET (when it'd be 1am PT when surely very few are watching) whereas when live coverage on CNN Domestic shuts down for the night it's 9pm Pacific Time.

There's probably very valid reasons for it - but it seems odd to chase a particularly niche audience (those who wake up around 4am-5am on the East Coast only and want live cable news) while ignoring a huge chunk of the country who might want a late evening bulletin. Of course there was Newsroom LA for a while which while technically a CNN International bulletin was basically a glorified Domestic programme but then it was axed once Isha left.

Newer posts