TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
I'm not sure if this is COVID related or not (simply because I imagine it's easier to film in this country in one area) but has anyone noticed how many shows are on about Cornwall right now?

On BBC Two you have "Rick Stein's Cornwall" and "Cornwall: This Fishing Life". On ITV you have "Cornwall and Devon Walks with Julia Bradbury", on Channel 4 you have "Devon and Cornwall" and I'm sure on Channel 5 Susan Calman will visit Cornwall on her "Grand Day's Out".

And don't forget Simon Reeve's recent two parter about Cornwall on BBC 2 !
VM
VMPhil
JAS84 posted:
JAS84 posted:
Sky Travel closed in 2010! And Travel Channel closed in August last year - was that the last such channel?

It may have closed in 2010, but it doesn’t negate the point that such channels took over from Jill Dando and co, before the internet started to dominate this sector like everything else.

Actually it does, as the channel probably ended for the same reason the shows did. The Internet took Sky Travel down too, it didn't replace Holiday and WYWH.

My memory is the teleshopping/telly travel agent programming was on a separate channel called Sky Travel Shop, and Sky Travel proper was mainly old travel documentaries?
Last edited by VMPhil on 19 January 2021 12:13pm
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
JAS84 posted:
It may have closed in 2010, but it doesn’t negate the point that such channels took over from Jill Dando and co, before the internet started to dominate this sector like everything else.

Actually it does, as the channel probably ended for the same reason the shows did. The Internet took Sky Travel down too, it didn't replace Holiday and WYWH.

My memory is the teleshopping/telly travel agent programming was on a separate channel called Sky Travel Shop, and Sky Travel proper was mainly old travel documentaries?

Sky Travel became Sky Real Lives, and what was Sky Travel became Sky Travel Shop and then it became Sky Travel again, then closed not long afterwards. Then the entire lot closed after it became one hell of a confusing mess as what was airing what and when and then Freeview got involved (as Travel used to be on Freeview before they pulled it for Sky3)...
JA
japitts
I'm not sure if this is COVID related or not (simply because I imagine it's easier to film in this country in one area) but has anyone noticed how many shows are on about Cornwall right now?

On BBC Two you have "Rick Stein's Cornwall" and "Cornwall: This Fishing Life". On ITV you have "Cornwall and Devon Walks with Julia Bradbury", on Channel 4 you have "Devon and Cornwall" and I'm sure on Channel 5 Susan Calman will visit Cornwall on her "Grand Day's Out".

And don't forget Simon Reeve's recent two parter about Cornwall on BBC 2 !

There's been a few Scottish & HIghland train-repeats/re-edits too... but it's a valid point now you mention it!
NT
Night Thoughts
There's a nice line in the most recent Private Eye about how Kevin Lygo told an audience in 2019 that he was going to purge ITV of celeb travelogues. Now it's full of them - hand no doubt forced by Covid!

They're nice, easy viewing, though - Susan Calman in Scotland on Channel 5 is great. Great Canal Journeys has no doubt fed into this. And with people's travelling horizons limited, shows on Cornwall and Scotland suit the mood nicely.
JK
JKDerry
Channel 5 have seemed to be the masters of the royal documentaries. I have no idea how much effort or money they spend, but Saturday prime time is now clogged with royal documentaries. When did the channel start on this obsession?

I have read comments and reviews from people who say the documentaries on the royals are very good, and are a nice alternative to the Saturday night drivel served up by BBC One and ITV.
NT
Night Thoughts
Channel 5 have seemed to be the masters of the royal documentaries. I have no idea how much effort or money they spend, but Saturday prime time is now clogged with royal documentaries. When did the channel start on this obsession?

Since Netflix began running The Crown, I suspect.
JA
JAS84

The geographical bias is probably because that was the last area to have restrictions enforced. They were Tier 1 for most of the time the tiers existed.
JO
Jonwo
Cornwall has become like Yorkshire in terms of places visited by broadcasters.

Susan Calman already did Cornwall for Grand Day Out, that was episode 1.
JO
Johnr
The annual ceremony where Ant and Dec go and pick a few awards every year AKA National Television awards have been pushed back until...September!
WH
Whataday Founding member
Johnr posted:
The annual ceremony where Ant and Dec go and pick a few awards every year AKA National Television awards have been pushed back until...September!

Of course, they used to take place in October each year until they moved from the Royal Albert Hall to the o2 in 2010.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Glastonbury 2021 - Cancelled

Newer posts