TV Home Forum

The Wheel

(November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TE
tellyblues
Voted second worst new show AND third best new show of 2020 so it clearly divides opinion.

http://www.ukgameshows.com/ukgs/Poll_of_the_Year_2020
JO
Josh
https://tellymix.co.uk/tv/531525-the-wheel-series-2-confirmed-michael-mcintyre-game-show-set-to-return.html

Recomissioned for a 2nd series.
BR
Brekkie
Hopefully a few tweaks to improve the gameplay and pacing improves the second series.
AN
Andrew Founding member

Tv2333, gordonthegopher and DeMarkay gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
Anyone here fancy getting their mug on Tele.. I mean have the chance of winning thousands of pounds?
UB
UBox
Pleased to see it recommissioned as it's been an enjoyable series but I hope the 16 episodes are aired in 2 chunks. It can be a slightly repetitive format, especially week after week, and a 16 week run would be longer than even Strictly (I think).

Pace could be improved upon for next time but I see they're sticking to the 60 minute episodes. I wonder what would happen if someone got all 7 questions right/wasn't shutdown. Maybe rolling contestants over would work?
EM
Emily Moore
UBox posted:
Pace could be improved upon for next time but I see they're sticking to the 60 minute episodes. I wonder what would happen if someone got all 7 questions right/wasn't shutdown. Maybe rolling contestants over would work?

I think they could quite easily pad it. In essence, it's a comedy show with Michael McIntyre bantering with celebrity guests and contestants, with a few questions thrown in to give it some structure. If a game was over quickly, they could just leave in more of the chit-chat. I notice it (to a lesser extent) with Only Connect, where you're more likely to have more chat (and possibly a song!) if both teams complete their walls quickly.
JO
Johnr
The random nature of the show must be a nightmare in the editing suite, I bet they have to end up leaving quite a lot of good material on the cutting room floor! (Perhaps the mysterious Episode 10 will pop up at some point and is in fact a compilation of unseen footage from throughout the series)

I think it has worked so well simply because of the ridiculous amount of celebrity contacts Michael and Dan Baldwin can call upon, it put a smile on my face when Pat Sharp popped up tonight for example!
JO
Jonwo
Johnr posted:
The random nature of the show must be a nightmare in the editing suite, I bet they have to end up leaving quite a lot of good material on the cutting room floor! (Perhaps the mysterious Episode 10 will pop up at some point and is in fact a compilation of unseen footage from throughout the series)

I think it has worked so well simply because of the ridiculous amount of celebrity contacts Michael and Dan Baldwin can call upon, it put a smile on my face when Pat Sharp popped up tonight for example!

It's a surprise that Bradley Walsh didn't turn up as an expert although he was probably too busy.
JO
Jon
Jonwo posted:
Johnr posted:

It's a surprise that Bradley Walsh didn't turn up as an expert although he was probably too busy.

Well he did famously play Dan Baldwin.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
It's a decent enough watch, but I do wonder whether the prizes need to be so big?

In a climate where the BBC is making cuts all over the place, is giving somebody a prize that could pay a regional journalist's salary for a year the best use of the license fee?

Would the show be any less exciting, or any less able to recruit contestants, if they were playing for say £20k?
Emily Moore, Brekkie and Worzel gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Yes, considering Pointless Celebrities is stuck at £2500 and most other Saturday night shows seem to be capped around £10k this is abnormally high, especially as the format is designed to generally have a winner.

I do think there is room for the occasional show to break that £10k barrier but prizes could be halved on this without impacting the show and still have a big jackpot by BBC standards. That said nice to have a BBC show which feels like it has had money spent on it.

Newer posts