TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Another thing this would put an end to is on-site commentary for overseas sport, except that pretty much everyone has been doing it off-tube for some time now. However, BT for example were still sending reporters out to do interviews at some Champions League matches so presumably that sort of thing might not be happening for a while.
SO
Soupnzi
Worth saying those travelogue progs always existed alongside Judith Chalmers et al, except whereas we had Alan Whicker and Clive James previously, I guess Michael Palin opened the door to all sorts of people doing them
VM
VMPhil
On the Would I Lie to You Christmas special, Joe Lycett was introduced as the host of Travel Man, which I thought was an odd thing to say as, unless they managed to film his first series pre-COVID and it’s waiting to be broadcast, he likely won’t be doing any Travel Man for a while.
JA
JAS84
I could only see a post-pandemic holiday show revival happening were it paid programming, like one of those Waitrose cookery shows or the Krypton Factor remake paid for by a watch manufacturer.

Yes the genre is pretty much dead now, despite the phenomenal popularity of WYWH? and Holiday up until the early 2000s. I suppose the likes of Sky Travel and others brochure channels took over, and we also got bored of seeing the reporter going to NYC and going through the motions- Empire State Building, piece to camera in the Meg Ryan orgasm diner etc.

Sky Travel closed in 2010! And Travel Channel closed in August last year - was that the last such channel?
DA
davidhorman
I was surprised to hear Teletext Holidays still exists (as a trade name, at least). They got a mention on a report about cancellation compensation the other day. It made me think of Mr Burns and his investments in Trans-Atlantic Zeppelin...
GO
gottago
JAS84 posted:
I could only see a post-pandemic holiday show revival happening were it paid programming, like one of those Waitrose cookery shows or the Krypton Factor remake paid for by a watch manufacturer.

Yes the genre is pretty much dead now, despite the phenomenal popularity of WYWH? and Holiday up until the early 2000s. I suppose the likes of Sky Travel and others brochure channels took over, and we also got bored of seeing the reporter going to NYC and going through the motions- Empire State Building, piece to camera in the Meg Ryan orgasm diner etc.

Sky Travel closed in 2010! And Travel Channel closed in August last year - was that the last such channel?

As an aside today happens to be Blue Monday which was created as a marketing ploy by Sky Travel.
bilky asko and Soupnzi gave kudos
SO
Soupnzi
JAS84 posted:

It may have closed in 2010, but it doesn’t negate the point that such channels took over from Jill Dando and co, before the internet started to dominate this sector like everything else.
DJ
DJGM

As an aside today happens to be Blue Monday which was created as a marketing ploy by Sky Travel.

Strange ... I always thought that was a classic 80's club tune by New Order!
Wink
AA
Amber Avenger
On the Would I Lie to You Christmas special, Joe Lycett was introduced as the host of Travel Man, which I thought was an odd thing to say as, unless they managed to film his first series pre-COVID and it’s waiting to be broadcast, he likely won’t be doing any Travel Man for a while.

He was also introduced as the host of Travel Man on Big Fat Quiz. Made for a decent-ish joke as he was on a team with Richard Ayoade so they both had the same introduction. That said it was strange how he was introduced as the host of the show twice in the same week when the casual viewer won't know as they haven't seen him present an episode yet.
PA
paul_hadley
I had no idea Richard had left. I assume they held the new series back or unable to film due to Covid.
JA
JAS84
JAS84 posted:

It may have closed in 2010, but it doesn’t negate the point that such channels took over from Jill Dando and co, before the internet started to dominate this sector like everything else.

Actually it does, as the channel probably ended for the same reason the shows did. The Internet took Sky Travel down too, it didn't replace Holiday and WYWH.
TI
TIGHazard
I'm not sure if this is COVID related or not (simply because I imagine it's easier to film in this country in one area) but has anyone noticed how many shows are on about Cornwall right now?

On BBC Two you have "Rick Stein's Cornwall" and "Cornwall: This Fishing Life". On ITV you have "Cornwall and Devon Walks with Julia Bradbury", on Channel 4 you have "Devon and Cornwall" and I'm sure on Channel 5 Susan Calman will visit Cornwall on her "Grand Day's Out".

Newer posts