TV Home Forum

BBC1 - nationwide!

No, not that one (January 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CO
commseng
I must disagree, both ITV singing shows do have the same appeal to me.
That's the problem with having similar shows most of the evening, and true of when a radio station "celebrates" one artist all day.
Great if you like it, but a real turn off if you don't.
TO
tomo359
Just because two shows contain people singing or a few gameshows are all on in the same evening doesn't mean they're all the same or appeal to the same people. I love the Masked Singer but I don't watch the Voice and don't plan to.
Same with the quiz and gameshows. Just because someone likes Mastermind doesn't mean they're also going to watch Pointless etc
SO
Soupnzi
BBC1 tonight features programmes recorded in London, Salford, Glasgow, Cardiff and Belfast.

And Bovingdon! Very Happy

Or the not incorrect, but slightly less illustrious ‘Hemel Hempstead’ as Jonathan Ross referred to it tonight on TMS
JA
JAS84
Jon posted:
True, I hadn't even looked at ITV1's Saturday night schedule - 3 hours of singing.
I know there are issues with recording programmes at the moment, but even so this is lazy scheduling from both main channels.

I think ITV was the same this time last year and probably wasn’t much different on the BBC. Although they’re both singing shows on ITV, I think the appeal is very different.
Yeah, ITV did have the same Masked Singer/Voice UK double bill last year. BBC One was mostly different though.
https://tv24.co.uk/tv/2020-01-18
CU
Cusack
My problem with tonight's BBC 1 schedule is the number of hours of quiz programmes featuring Celebrities during prime time.
Celebrity Mastermind, Celebrity Catchpoint, Pointless Celebrities all together between 18:00 - 19:50 and then 20:30 - 21:30 The Wheel, a quiz show featuring celebrities, although it is not in the title of the show.

Where is the variety in almost 3 hours of the same type of programme?
No imagination there at all.

I would think it's easier to record programmes with celebrities rather than the general public right now.
KE
kernow
My problem with tonight's BBC 1 schedule is the number of hours of quiz programmes featuring Celebrities during prime time.
Celebrity Mastermind, Celebrity Catchpoint, Pointless Celebrities all together between 18:00 - 19:50 and then 20:30 - 21:30 The Wheel, a quiz show featuring celebrities, although it is not in the title of the show.

I would think it's easier to record programmes with celebrities rather than the general public right now.

Exactly. For celebrities, it's classed as work, which is a valid reason for leaving home.

For the general public, appearing on things like TV gameshows is not a valid reason for leaving home at the moment.
JO
Jonwo

Exactly. For celebrities, it's classed as work, which is a valid reason for leaving home.

For the general public, appearing on things like TV gameshows is not a valid reason for leaving home at the moment.

The second series of Beat the Chasers and the Blankety Blank were recorded during the November lockdown so it’s not true that the general public wouldn’t be allowed to leave home to go on a gameshow.
CR
Critique
Jonwo posted:

The second series of Beat the Chasers and the Blankety Blank were recorded during the November lockdown so it’s not true that the general public wouldn’t be allowed to leave home to go on a gameshow.

Indeed, Pointless is still recording as usual at the moment. Contestants do have to come from the same household/support bubble though, and they currently get up-to three appearances on the show (versus the normal two).
JO
Jonwo

Indeed, Pointless is still recording as usual at the moment. Contestants do have to come from the same household/support bubble though, and they currently get up-to three appearances on the show (versus the normal two).

Also, I would imagine anyone going on these shows will be tested before they even set foot on the set so in a way, it's probably safer than going to the shops.
SW
Steve Williams
Just because two shows contain people singing or a few gameshows are all on in the same evening doesn't mean they're all the same or appeal to the same people. I love the Masked Singer but I don't watch the Voice and don't plan to.
Same with the quiz and gameshows. Just because someone likes Mastermind doesn't mean they're also going to watch Pointless etc

Well, indeed, there are good gameshows and bad gameshows, just like any other genre, and people will choose the ones they want to watch. I watched Mastermind and Pointless but I didn't watch Catchpoint and The Wheel. As long as the games themselves are suitably different, it's alright. I mean, people talk fondly about the classic ITV Saturday night schedules, but circa 1997 you had Wheel of Fortune, Gladiators, Blind Date and Family Fortunes back to back. They're all game shows, and they're all on UKGameShows, but obviously they're all very different and people watched the ones they were interested in.

I can't get het up about celebrity versions either, I don't really care who's winning on a game show, I don't know them. Whether it's members of the public winning money for themselves or celebrities winning money for charity, I'm not getting any of it, so I don't really care.

As mentioned, you probably will see a lot of game shows at the moment because they're about the safest and most efficient programmes to make right now, so you will end up getting more of those and fewer dramas and comedies. But even with that, BBC1's schedule as a whole on Saturday night also included drama, comedy (a repeat, but still comedy) and sport, so over the course of the evening there was plenty of variety (you can included Garden Rescue as well if you really want). ITV may not have shown so many game shows in a row, but it was all shiny-floor entertainment from teatime to bedtime.

Anyway, the general point I was making in that thread is that there is a load of stuff being made out of London at the moment, and I doubt that even in the golden days of the ITV regions there were as many different parts of the UK represented in a single evening.
ST
steddenm
I think a lot is being made in London at the moment, especially Celebrity versions is because of where they live and where it is easier to co-ordinate where they are, especially with travel restrictions in place.

Same as Maidstone (Catchphrase), quite easy to get to from London. Bovington the same.

The Susan Calman roadtrip series on Channel 5 currently was filmed during lockdown, but doesn't show much on screen as she is mostly on her own throughout.

Maybe we will start to see more filmed in Glasgow with Scotland-based celebrities taking part in the future, same goes for Dock10 etc.
SO
Soupnzi
I love all the UK diversity that Steve has outlined, so it’s shocking how the Midlands has been abandoned- and still hasn’t rebounded- since the closures of Pebble Mill, Gas Street and Lenton Lane. That’s a massive swathe of the country where nothing big gets made.

Newer posts