TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
To be fair there aren't many travel shows in the tradition of Holiday and Wish you Were Here anyway - and haven't been for a good decade or so - but do wonder if there might be a resurgence in them once this is all over as the industry aims to recover.
DW
DavidWhitfield
Seeing this update, I think less of travel shows and more of programmes like Death In Paradise , which previously filmed throughout lockdown for the new series airing currently, and which will presumably now not be able to film their next series, due to air in January 2022.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
To be fair there aren't many travel shows in the tradition of Holiday and Wish you Were Here anyway - and haven't been for a good decade or so - but do wonder if there might be a resurgence in them once this is all over as the industry aims to recover.

The internet sort of puts paid to that, why wait for Judith Chalmers to introduce you to the delights of Outer Mongolia Monday at 7pm when you can introduce yourself to the delights of Outer Mongolia at 1:30am on Thursday instead?
harshy, Brekkie and tightrope78 gave kudos
HC
Hatton Cross
Yes. The internet has pretty much put an end to those sort of Jan-March visual travel brochure programmes.

Why sit through a presenter/reporter going to a place (granted, selected by a member of the production team beforehand - or worse, a member of staff from the local tourist board has selected for them) and watch the nicest places - none of which feature the district that your chosen accomodation was situated in - when you can take to Google Streetview and have a look for yourself, see the area, and how far and how many busy roads you'd have to cross to get to get to the beachfront.

Plus, when you do see a place on the programme close to where you were thinking of going, and hear in the commentary about the 'quiet, relaxed family friendly atmosphere', all it takes to ruin that impression, is 30 seconds on Trip Advisor...
TI
tightrope78
BBC Northern Ireland & RTE still air 'Getaways' each Winter which features an International location and somewhere in Ireland. It is made by Waddell Media, headed by Janine Waddell who was formerly the editor of Holiday.
BR
Brekkie
Will hit those who've flown over for the inauguration then, though I'm sure they isolated after the election too.

National Lottery employees is an interesting one - do they make their own travel shows for the winners. Laughing
RL
Running Late
I still enjoy The Travel Show on BBC News.
JO
Jonwo
Death in Paradise doesn’t start filming until April anyway so they’re not going to be affected at the moment plus I suspect everyone had to be tested before they flew out anyway.
Last edited by Jonwo on 18 January 2021 12:54pm
SO
Soupnzi
I could only see a post-pandemic holiday show revival happening were it paid programming, like one of those Waitrose cookery shows or the Krypton Factor remake paid for by a watch manufacturer.

Yes the genre is pretty much dead now, despite the phenomenal popularity of WYWH? and Holiday up until the early 2000s. I suppose the likes of Sky Travel and others brochure channels took over, and we also got bored of seeing the reporter going to NYC and going through the motions- Empire State Building, piece to camera in the Meg Ryan orgasm diner etc.
BR
Brekkie
Do wonder if their absence could make them new again - must be an audience online for such content considering every influencer in the country is currently "working" in Dubai. Agree though they'd likely be paid programming.
MI
m_in_m
Jonwo posted:
Death in Paradise doesn’t start filming until April anyway so they’re not going to be affected at the moment plus I suspect everyone had to be tested before they flew out anyway.

If a production is running a single block of filming overseas they may not be affected that much if there are enough people willing to quarantine for ten days on return or less of the production budget incorporates testing in day five of return.
AN
Andrew Founding member

No, but there are loads of celebrity travelogues visiting exotic locations.

Newer posts