Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Isonstine Founding member
Jon posted:
It’s a great format though. It’s the sort of thing I think would work better these days than it did then.

Lose a Million was very much the perfect example of Carlton's early output (with Tarrant the perfect presenter) in that it was trying to parody the conventions of light entertainment, while also being light entertainment. Fantastic Facts with Jonathan Ross was another one, all a bit arch and ironic.

It's the kind of thing you could get away with on Channel 4 and probably ITV today, but not the ITV of 1993 as it was all too knowing and post-modern for a mass audience. I think one of the problems with the early days of Carlton is that those involved had vast experience of TV, but not much of primetime ITV, which is a hard market to crack.

I remember loving it at the time as it felt a bit chaotic compared to other quiz shows which were played straight and not so much for laughs. When you watch that particular episode back it only confirms that it was very much before its time. Chris Tarrant is at his best but certainly not the helpful host that you'd expect at the time (and is very different to the style he would become famous for five years later.) I particularly like the fact "smoke" is obscuring so many of the camera shots during the final round but it adds to the charm.

It has to win a million surely though for fantastic set design. I love that transition to the final round, but then I've always been partial to a rotating set.

But yes, it wouldn't feel out of place on modern day ITV - if this was a modern commission with Keith Lemon as host then it'd probably do well.
IS
Inspector Sands
BBC1 from 52 years ago today
JA
james-2001
That's a missing episode of Morecambe & Wise as well, I wonder how much of it is on that tape?
DE88 and Night Thoughts gave kudos
GO
gottago
Presumably that wasn't the only pilot they did with them having the retrospective clips at the start?

I think it probably was the only episode they filmed but doing it like that was an easy way of quickly giving more examples of other performances. You'll get a few non-TX pilots that reference non-existent previous weeks just to give a bit more shape to the format.

Though I could well be wrong and for whatever reason they decided to film more than one episode!
BH
BillyH Founding member
That 1969 clip is fantastic, the first time I've seen actual presentation from that globe look - most videos of it are either silent or just a quick "This is BBC1". The next existing presentation as far as I know is that November 1969 night from the early days of colour, would be interesting to know if anything came between that black & white globe and the first colour one.
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
The next existing presentation as far as I know is that November 1969 night from the early days of colour, would be interesting to know if anything came between that black & white globe and the first colour one.

I asked this question of a correspondent to my former website a number of years ago, who had quite a bit of knowledge of 1960s BBC presentation, and this was the answer I got back:

"For the 69 globe, I could tell at the time that there had been a change of some sort in the globe but I couldn't put my finger on it. Internal illumination providing better contrast would explain it, but IIRC the difference wasn't that pronounced, perhaps on a par to the slight changes in the mirrors in the 70's and 80's.'
VM
VMPhil
Interesting clip from the end of an episode of Baddiel & Skinner Unplanned. When Paramount Comedy repeated the (originally live) episodes, apparently they included a few minutes more after they had gone off air for each episode, over the Avalon endcap. Here's an example.

For comparison, an upload of the original broadcast: https://youtu.be/I00aE61JWmg
IS
Inspector Sands
Olivia Coleman on The Word in 1995 (at 16:50 if the direct link doesn't work for you)
DE88, Skid and Night Thoughts gave kudos
BH
BillyH Founding member
Looks like a pretend gameshow segment where they destroy people’s valuables if they lose - possibly all(?) actors as she’s playing a fictional contestant called Connie. The good old days before TV fakery scandals...
JO
Jon
Looks like a pretend gameshow segment where they destroy people’s valuables if they lose - possibly all(?) actors as she’s playing a fictional contestant called Connie. The good old days before TV fakery scandals...

I think it’s genuine, isn’t it? Also it was ‘Collie’ presumably short for Coleman.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2010/aug/10/the-word-best-moments posted:
In the gameshow segment Win or Weep, a contestant's most prized possession was destroyed if they failed to win. It outraged the tabloids but inspired later shows such as MTV's Trashed and Sky1's Beat the Crusher.

Think it was revealed at a later date it was fake, but of course this show went out of its way to cause trouble so...
IS
Inspector Sands
In 1995 she was either training to be a primary school teacher in Norfolk or just starting theatre school in Bristol, so I think she's appearing as herself.

How genuine the actual game and the loss of possessions is is another matter. You'd be particularly stupid to appear on there with something you really didn't want to lose though. She certainly wouldn't have got an Oscar for her reaction to it happening, though of course if it wasn't 'fake' it could just have been a load of clothes from a charity shop or stuff being chucked out anyway

The whole item is awful, not surprisingly it's right at the end of The Word's run. What happened to that presenter?
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 22 January 2021 7:28am - 2 times in total

Newer posts