The Newsroom

Armed Insurrection at US Capitol Building

Split from US ELECTIONS 2020 Coverage (January 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SL
Shaun Linden
Both BBC1 and ITV1 did some rolling Royal Birth coverage in the 2010's and certainly one did fall on a Saturday early evening - Princess Charlotte. Prince George coverage fell in weekday primetime, both the birth announcement and leaving hospital IIRC. Can't recall if anything of significance got replaced, or whether it was a case of only displacing repeats. Prince George as well may have been treated differently due to being directly in the line of succession

Yes they did, they stayed on air and postponed Emmerdale if I remember

Prince George birth news broke around 8.30pm. There was a newsflash either before Corrie or during break, and then 9pm was a news special.
SW
Steve Williams
Both BBC1 and ITV1 did some rolling Royal Birth coverage in the 2010's and certainly one did fall on a Saturday early evening - Princess Charlotte. Prince George coverage fell in weekday primetime, both the birth announcement and leaving hospital IIRC. Can't recall if anything of significance got replaced, or whether it was a case of only displacing repeats. Prince George as well may have been treated differently due to being directly in the line of succession

Yes, Prince George did get rolling coverage - it broke at 8.30 on a Monday night so BBC1 dropped Panorama and the 9pm show and rolled until ten o'clock, though as you say that was a bit different because he is directly in line to the throne so it was a bit more important constitutionally. When Charlotte was born, it was on a Saturday morning - I remember it being announced by Darren Fletcher on Fletch and Sav on BT Sport - but there wasn't rolling coverage for that, they did a little newsflash during Saturday Kitchen (though presumably that was just because there was a live show on at the time, if there was something pre-recorded on they probably wouldn't have) and then I think later in the afternoon the snooker underran so they did an additional news bulletin.

I remember one time there was potential for major news (can't remember if it was a royal birth or one of the many occasions Nelson Mandela was rumoured to be gravely ill) fell on a very busy Saturday night so various contingencies were drawn up for what might happen if the news was announced at different times. But of course with most major news stories there's no possibility of forward planning so these decisions need to be made on the fly - and like with a lot of things just because one decision is made on one particular occasion, it doesn't mean the same would be done on another.

Yes, and Mandela's death was of course a famous one because it broke very soon before the Ten O'Clock News and there were lots of complaints that the Ten was devoted to nothing but, on a night of exceptionally bad weather across the UK. But I think that was a good example of the best-laid plans going awry, because I seem to remember that it had been said before that the plan was that they wouldn't announce his death after dark and if he died during the night it would be embargoed until the next morning. But that seemingly didn't happen and they announced it at about 9.50pm, which meant all the tributes were coming in when the Ten was on air, so whatever balanced programme they'd planned had to go out of the window.
TI
TIGHazard
Yes, and Mandela's death was of course a famous one because it broke very soon before the Ten O'Clock News and there were lots of complaints that the Ten was devoted to nothing but, on a night of exceptionally bad weather across the UK..

Mandela's also has the almost perfectly timed fade out from Mrs Brown's Boys.

BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
I recall with Mandela, as well as the thing about it not being announced at night, the word was that there'd be embargoed advance warning of the announcement as much as an hour beforehand, so all the plans were based around a "managed" announcement with plenty of time to prepare. In reality, of course, there was no warning and nobody knew for certain what that press conference was about when it was called so they had to wait until it was announced before they could break into programmes in case it was just a health update, which resulted in what was seen in the video above.
TV
TVViewer256
This isn't about what we've just been talking about, but having watched some of the cable news channels in the US over the last few months I'm dismayed. I can't stomach CNN for their extreme bias and spin towards the left, and I find it difficult to watch Fox due to their bias to the right. I can just about stomach MSNBC Live (their rolling news program). NBC News, CBS News and ABC News are fine to watch; they have the occasional biased moment but on the whole don't swing too far. However, it just shocks me how Fox and CNN have contributed to the polarisation of US politics, CNN with their ultra-woke swing and monologues and Fox with their impression that the right is king. There is hope, however, as WGN NewsNation looks very promising so I hope they will expand it into a rolling news channel.
BR
Brekkie
Are CNN biased or just truthful?
dvboy and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
Newsnation IMHO is a glorified local newscast which Nexstar have invested a load of money into without getting the talent. It's also on a channel that will show wall to wall Married with Children on at the weekend, then dedicate prime time to news instead of general entertainment.

If I wanted news from Nexstar, I'd watch one of their local affiliates, but the set is very nice however.

To be frank, the existing local newscasts, the network bulletins and CNBC's The News with Shepard Smith do a great job at impartial news in the States. The cable 'news' channels have long forgotten their impartial news ethos for partisan commentary as infotainment.
TV
TVViewer256
Newsnation IMHO is a glorified local newscast which Nexstar have invested a load of money into without getting the talent. It's also on a channel that will show wall to wall Married with Children on at the weekend, then dedicate prime time to news instead of general entertainment.

If I wanted news from Nexstar, I'd watch one of their local affiliates, but the set is very nice however.

To be frank, the existing local newscasts, the network bulletins and CNBC's The News with Shepard Smith do a great job at impartial news in the States. The cable 'news' channels have long forgotten their impartial news ethos for partisan commentary as infotainment.

Completely agree - I was referring to the general ethos and setup of WGN, it could do with some bigger names. I'm a big fan of The News with Shep Smith on CNBC, and as you say the nightly newscasts such as NBC Nightly and CBS Evening.
TV
TVViewer256
Are CNN biased or just truthful?

Without a doubt they have a liberal bias. I don't think that's really up for debate, they don't even bother to hide it.
BR
Brekkie
Take away the politicisation of the word and the definition of "liberal" is

willing to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one's own; open to new ideas.

Isn't that what you should want from a news channel?
FB
Fluffy Bunny Feet

Yes, together with Fergus Walsh's latest report from University College Hospital, it was an exceptional night for British TV journalism. I ended up watching the BBC last night, but I think there is still quite a bit of that old ITN spirit on News at Ten, and it was really to the fore in that report from the Capitol.

I've never been able to find a recording of it so am not sure of his actual words, but I remember watching the end of the ITV special on the night of the 2016 election (having just got home from an election night party that hadn't quite gone to plan...) and seeing Robert Moore state, very plainly, that a demagogue had won the White House. That stayed with me, because I don't think I'd seen anyone on British TV speak so plainly about the man who'd just been elected - maybe now we'd see that as an understatement.

Just reading through the Wikipedia entry for the word "demagogue"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demagogue it's staggering how well that describes many of the current crop of politicians, and highlights a flaw in the system of democracy. There are a few examples of them since ancient Greece, and some more modern ones.

I know that many of you on here will regard that News coverage is important, and indeed it is, but as a viewer who always used to watch the regular bulletins and fall asleep to the Radio 4 midnight news, I've recently been avoiding as much of the news as I can. It is now generally a miseryfest of things that I can do nothing about, and passionate arguements that set people against others in a violent way.
I can only agree that BBC 1 and ITV schedulers made the right call not to bombard us with saturation coverage of the events in Washington DC, no matter how important the issue, what difference did an hour or two make to any of us living in the UK? I happily watched the Repair Shop (balm for the soul), and caught up with the mayhem a little later.

I don't make light of what happened, but ultimately why should I be forced to watch something as it played out. Reports are often better when they can add the context and show the resulting situation which rolling news cannot do. There are the rolling news channels for those that need to know what is currently happening from the eye of the storm.

Heh, you're right about The Repair Shop.

I'm much the same - I used to have news channels on all the time but have watched much, much less over the past five years. I honestly don't think I'm missing out - when I catch a News at Ten, the odd cringe-y script aside, I'm always impressed by how well it stands up. And I usually learn a lot more. The well-crafted, standalone bulletin still has its place.

Oh the irony of watching "The Repair Shop" - Nancy says 'I have this damaged lectern...'
Joking aside I fully understand what you're saying. Us news junkies flip from station to station - even those we perceive as having a biased agenda (which is certainly the case with overseas broadcasters) and don't even get me started with youtube 'experts'...
The only time when schedules will get binned if there's some unwelcome royal news - and I expect then people will still complain...
FB
Fluffy Bunny Feet
This isn't about what we've just been talking about, but having watched some of the cable news channels in the US over the last few months I'm dismayed. I can't stomach CNN for their extreme bias and spin towards the left, and I find it difficult to watch Fox due to their bias to the right. I can just about stomach MSNBC Live (their rolling news program). NBC News, CBS News and ABC News are fine to watch; they have the occasional biased moment but on the whole don't swing too far. However, it just shocks me how Fox and CNN have contributed to the polarisation of US politics, CNN with their ultra-woke swing and monologues and Fox with their impression that the right is king. There is hope, however, as WGN NewsNation looks very promising so I hope they will expand it into a rolling news channel.

I think you've done what most people should do (but most won't) is watch and read a variety of sources and then decide. The issue I have with newsprint (and I very much include UK ones) and overseas news broadcasts is that they are not regulated. At least UK broadcasters are and will always try and follow rules of fairness and due impartiality. Ofcom bulletins confirm this if a broadcaster steps out of line.
Alfie Mulcahy and TVViewer256 gave kudos

Newer posts