TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IT
itvblocks
Loss of sound for a moment during the Leeds vs Brighton match on Sky Sports PL (and football I'm presuming?)
Last edited by itvblocks on 16 January 2021 3:18pm
RD
rdd Founding member
It strikes me as odd that games at 3pm in the afternoon are billed as “Saturday Night Football”. When Sky showed 3pm games in Ireland previously they were “Premier League Live”.
itvblocks and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
CF
CallumF

I haven't seen or heard any of the coverage, but I assume they are using pairs of commentators/summarisers in the same location to overcome delay issues on the feed that they are commentating from, with those at home doing more of an analyst role than calling it ball by ball?

For TMS there aren’t necessarily pairs in each location - for example Jonathan Agnew, Andy Zaltsman and Ebony Rainford-Brent are each in their respective homes. Aggers is certainly doing ball by ball commentary.

A former colleague told me they’re all working from the same feed source with a known delay (allowing for some latency in each person’s internet connection).

Those in Salford have pictures that are delayed to match the feed to others commentating from elsewhere. So whilst they won’t all be perfectly in sync, it’s close enough that it doesn’t cause a problem.

From what I’ve heard it’s working very well.

Steve in Pudsey, Night Thoughts and AJB39 gave kudos
MI
Michael
No idea what was going on on Sky Sports Main Event earlier but the commentary was about 1 second ahead of the pictures -we knew Tottenham's first goal was scored before it had even arrived in the box.
DV
DVB Cornwall
No idea what was going on on Sky Sports Main Event earlier but the commentary was about 1 second ahead of the pictures -we knew Tottenham's first goal was scored before it had even arrived in the box.

Which rarely they acknowledged on air.
MI
Michael
Ironically calling it a "sound" problem when in reality it was a picture problem, the pictures being in a different timezone - Sheffield Standard Time
UL
ulsterman92
ITV4 today announce renewals to their existing Snooker and Darts rights until 2022.

Rights are as follows
Darts : Masters, UK Open, European Championship, Players Championship Finals, World Series of Darts tournaments around the world and World Series of Darts Finals.

Snooker : Champion of Champions, World Grand Prix, Players Championship & Tour Championship

See more at:
Snooker: https://wst.tv/wst-matchroom-and-itv-agree-new-two-year-deal-for-broadcast-of-four-events/
Darts: https://www.pdc.tv/news/2021/01/18/pdc-itv-secure-new-multi-year-contract
bkman1990 and watchingtv gave kudos
HA
harshy Founding member
It’s just the same setup year in year out though like they have done default kit and they just wheel it out when needed With the same green itv sport graphics.
NW
nwtv2003
Apparently Sunday’s match between Liverpool and Manchester United peaked with Sky’s highest ever rating:

UL
ulsterman92
Apparently Sunday’s match between Liverpool and Manchester United peaked with Sky’s highest ever rating:

Brilliant rating for Sky Sports, imagine the rating if it had of been a better match however.
BR
Brekkie
Yes, "enthralling" was stretching it a bit.
UL
ulsterman92
Frankly awful coverage this morning of the Afghanistan v Ireland ODI on Freesports, kept going to a break at the end of the over but didn't show any adverts just the Freesports logo and kept cutting back missing deliveries.

Then around the scheduled end of program lost pictures which frequently happens with anything Premier Sports then the screen went blank from back soon and missed a couple of wickets, this frequently happens when Freesports show sport outside of the UK.

When coverage overran cut away to loop of adverts of Premier Sports coverage over the next month mainly Ice Hockey then cut to the scheduled programme after which was a Serie A highlights show before cutting back for the last 2-3 overs. What a shambles!

While it is great to have freesports and free to air cricket live would be better if they improved their coverage.

Newer posts