TV Home Forum

Local TV

Are you local? (July 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
dvboy
Noticed a report by on tennis player Francesca Jones at the end of BBC News at Ten featured footage credited to the Local TV Network and with a "Made In Leeds" DOG.

Same report on the 1 (and 6)

The reporter (now at ITV) who made that video for Made in Leeds isn't happy, but surely the footage belongs to MIL?

Last edited by dvboy on 13 January 2021 11:42pm
WH
Whataday Founding member
I'm not sure what the problem is. He produced the package for Made in Leeds and therefore the correct credit of Local TV Network was given.
IS
Inspector Sands
I'm not sure what the problem is. He produced the package for Made in Leeds and therefore the correct credit of Local TV Network was given.

That in itself isn't enough, you can't just go and use other channels content like that without agreement (like the sports rights agreement) or some sort of excuse of fair dealing (which doesn't apply here)

However...

As the footage is a few years old, I suspect the BBC obtained it and used it when they had a deal with local TV for funding and content sharing. Though whether that allows them to use it now that agreement has finished I don't know.

Of course they might just have phoned Made TV and asked to use it. However it could be that they took it off that chaps YouTube channel and shouldn't have been given to the BBC. I wonder if he even knew that Made has used it?
TR
trivialmatters
The one time the BBC actually uses some footage from the local TV agreement and they're in trouble for it!
Whataday and scottishtv gave kudos
EM
Emily Moore
Normally, if you produce something in the course of your work for an employer (whether that's TV content, computer code or anything else) the rights to that work rightly go to the employer. However, these local TV channels (admittedly That's more so than Made) used a lot of slightly iffy "freelance" and "internship" employment practices in the years when they were producing more content than they are now.

None of us will be privy to the contract between the producer and Made in Leeds at the time, but it could well have been that he retained copyright to his stuff, in exchange for - as a random example - not being paid in anything other than "exposure".
AndrewPSSP, scottishtv and Jon gave kudos
JA
james-2001
People being offered to be paid in "exposure", that's something I hear far too often 🤣
PA
paul_hadley
My rent is 600 exposures.
WH
Whataday Founding member
However, these local TV channels (admittedly That's more so than Made) used a lot of slightly iffy "freelance" and "internship" employment practices in the years when they were producing more content than they are now.

Yeah I have to say, I haven't heard the same sort of complaints about Made as I have about That's.

Mark Kielesz-Levine was at Made for years and became their main presenter (he won several RTS Awards for the station) so I'd be surprised if he was employed in the way you've described.
MO
Mouseboy33
Well he added more information...

TM
tmf9
The LocalTV/Made channels appear to be going through another rebrand.

The websites have been down for several days but Birmingham is now back up (albeit looking unfinished) with new branding.

https://birminghamlocal.tv/

From Monday, the EPG for the national Sky channel has new programme titles like "Cardiff LTV" and "Liverpool LTV" instead of "Cardiff Live" and "Merseyside Live".
ET
ethanh05
How can they rebrand if they've barely got a brand to begin with?
JO
Jon
The new branding is similar to what you’d expect London Live would have looked like if it was around 20 years ago. The artwork also slightly reminds me of the ribbons era Midlands Today look.

Newer posts