Mass Media & Technology

Digitising Collection

Digitising collection of Betamax & VHS (January 2021)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TI
TIGHazard

Any Freeview licensed TV that allows recordings to be made will need to encrypt those recordings using something like DTCP or similar. It's a requirement of the Freeview licensing these days. This encryption should tie those recordings to the device that made them.

How long has that been a thing? I know that I can transfer files from a LOGIK (Curry's own brand) small bedroom TV that I got in 2015 to my PC. Software such as Handbrake doesn't like them "file table incorrect for video format" (or something like that) but they play just fine in Windows Media Player or VLC.
MA
Markymark

Any Freeview licensed TV that allows recordings to be made will need to encrypt those recordings using something like DTCP or similar. It's a requirement of the Freeview licensing these days. This encryption should tie those recordings to the device that made them.

How long has that been a thing? I know that I can transfer files from a LOGIK (Curry's own brand) small bedroom TV that I got in 2015 to my PC. Software such as Handbrake doesn't like them "file table incorrect for video format" (or something like that) but they play just fine in Windows Media Player or VLC.

Isn't it just for the the Freeview HD channels. Back in the 00s I used to rip the files from my Toppy 5800 to play on an Archos (remember them ?) media player. Of course, all SD back then
NG
noggin Founding member

Isn't it just for the the Freeview HD channels. Back in the 00s I used to rip the files from my Toppy 5800 to play on an Archos (remember them ?) media player. Of course, all SD back then

I think it was originally for Freeview HD channels and Freeview HD licensing, but I believe the Freeview HD tag is now retired, so it applies to all recently licensed Freeview products though I don't know if there is a mandate for SD recordings (though I think some platforms just apply DTCP to everything, or otherwise encrypt their entire drive)
DV
DVB Cornwall
Not of the broadcaster's doing, originated in the US Film and TV Studios system fearing the loss of revenue for DVD/BR sales, the studios were inclined not to allow programming on HD channels without this 'feature'. The broadcasters reluctantly went along with their demands to get HD started.

It surely is time for this to be reviewed though, considering the changed landscape.
JO
Joe
I suspect it would be very hard to put the genie back in the bottle.
DV
DVB Cornwall
I agree with that observation.

Newer posts