Media Websites

BBC & Ravensbourne University Motion Graphics Archive

Treasure-trove of clips (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BH
BillyH Founding member
That’s a UK Gold ident, although I remember it from 2000 unless it was used in previous years.

Similar one below:

MarkT76, Steve in Pudsey and jonO gave kudos
AL
AaronLancs
Unless it was originally commissioned for BBC One but the then commercial division of the BBC at the time (Enterprises or Worldwide, don't know which one) wapped it for UK Gold and the rest is history.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
That’s a UK Gold ident, although I remember it from 2000 unless it was used in previous years.

Similar one below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dduTL11ooo4

Ah, I did think possibly UK Gold (it's now obvious that the fireworks are a reference to their idents around 2000-ish). Wasn't 1998 though, which was a 2D animation involving a pantomime horse. Must just be mis-labelled.
BH
BillyH Founding member
Yep, just did a quick YouTube check and it was used in both 1999 and 2000, so only a year out.
HC
Hatton Cross
Not sure what this was, but it certainly wasn't the 1998 BBC One Christmas ident.

https://www.ravensbourne.ac.uk/bbc-motion-graphics-archive/bbc-one-christmas-ident-1-1998

Let the guessing game commence as to why that was dropped as the trail topper and ident.
I'll go first. Still in the balloon era, and having that float CGI-esque would just look odd.

There's nothing bad about it (compared to what we actually ended up with).

Yes, the boom up shot from the front door to the lads bedroom could be better done, and the lighted snowflake motif goes against the red ballon motif of the channel, but other than that..

For the record - this is what ended up being the 1998 BBC One Christmas ident(s)
BA
bilky asko
I think the explanation of it being mislabelled fits better.
VM
VMPhil
I’d like to congratulate the person who realised they were using that fake/fan made version of the BBC logo and have replaced it with the proper one.
MarkT76, denton and Ghost gave kudos
DE
denton
I’d like to congratulate the person who realised they were using that fake/fan made version of the BBC logo and have replaced it with the proper one.

Or you could congratulate the person who pointed it out to them and sent them the correct logo 😉
BA
Bail Moderator

Or you could congratulate the person who pointed it out to them and sent them the correct logo 😉

In all seriousness, well done and thank you, its about the little things Smile
denton, Anglialad and Ghost gave kudos
BE
benriggers
Let Ravensbourne University know, and let them go after the uploaders with a content strike with You Tube...

Did send them a message (a few weeks after the page launched, complete with a Youtube example) but never received a response. But to be fair I think because of CoVid, as a University they would have had more important issues to think about.

A update on this. They have now taken down (apart from two at the moment), all the clips I emailed them about (22).
"As of yesterday, all of these videos have now been reported to Youtube for Copyright infringements.
As a team, we'll be keeping a close eye on Youtube and strive to be more proactive in our efforts to flag incidents of a similar nature."
CA
Caly123
Let Ravensbourne University know, and let them go after the uploaders with a content strike with You Tube...

Did send them a message (a few weeks after the page launched, complete with a Youtube example) but never received a response. But to be fair I think because of CoVid, as a University they would have had more important issues to think about.

A update on this. They have now taken down (apart from two at the moment), all the clips I emailed them about (22).
"As of yesterday, all of these videos have now been reported to Youtube for Copyright infringements.
As a team, we'll be keeping a close eye on Youtube and strive to be more proactive in our efforts to flag incidents of a similar nature."

There's one that they missed:

Update: Looks like it's been removed by the BBC.
Last edited by Caly123 on 22 January 2021 3:47pm
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Let's just hope they aren't too pro active and end up getting videos that aren't a direct rip off of theirs pulled, like off air recordings of junctions that use these graphic elements

Newer posts