The Newsroom

Sky News

Kay Burley Off-Air for 6 months | Beth Rigby for 3 months - Covid Breach

NG
noggin Founding member
If this is the NBC reporter you mean, it looks like a working from home setup with a TV backdrop, Can't imagine its over satellite.

I think the discussion is about how it gets to Sky, not how it gets from the reporter's home.

Question is whether the reporter is connected directly to Sky (via a Sky LiveU/WMT etc. server) or whether the reporter is connected to LiveU/WMT server at NBC in NY/DC etc. as usual, then there would be an additional connection from NBC NY/DC etc. to Sky (which may be satellite or a compressed IP circuit etc.)
VA
valley
Sky regularly talking to NBC reporters in Washington DC at the moment. The satellite delay though is huuuuuge. Anyone know the path that these links would be taking?

Depends, but many of the location ones will be camera LiveU (or similar) -> NBC NOC -> Sky NOC -> Sky gallery. Presumably backhauled from the US to the UK over satellite.
Oh, and when being introduced via a screen, there will be an additional delay due to screen processing.

BBC US->UK backhaul has been fibre for literally decades (they backhaul US SNG downlinks in the ASI domain rather than baseband video, then ASI decode and standards convert in the UK) - what makes you think Sky are using satellite for their US->UK circuits?

AIUI Sky are heavily into IP connectivity - with an IP MCR for Sky News - so I wouldn't be surprised if they had IP connectivity over fibre IP circuits for transatlantic stuff, with some presence in an NBC MCR or two?

Screen processing is usually only a few frames - and you can normally spot it as there is a sound-sync issue with the reporter in the screen (unless they also delay full-screen version and audio to match the screen delay)

These days codec and FEC/buffer protection delays on IP contributions can be significantly more than the delay introduced by satellite paths. (Particularly if you have to do a double encode/decode plus a standards conversion en-route). From memory an Alchemist adds around 9-10 frames of 50Hz audio delay on a 59.94->50Hz conversion.

Just hypothesising - I’m not sure if Sky have any infrastructure in NBC’s New York MCR but it seems possible.
FU
fusionlad Founding member West Country (West) Spotlight
Thanks guys. Yes that was the reporter in question and must admit I didn't spot she was working from home originally.
I guess I haven't been keeping up with basic communication methods over the Atlantic nowadays.
CW
CraigWills Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
All Out Politics back on air today but with Colin Brazier from the Glass Box, not Westminster. Jonathan Samuels took over in the Glass Box at 12 noon for Sky News Today. Dermot did Sky News Tonight from the Glass Box last week too, interestingly Weekday Breakfast is still coming from Westminster for now.
It’s almost like they can’t decide if All Out Politics should be on air or just Sky News Today from 11am. And seemingly also reducing the amount of crew by doing more shows from the Glass Box.
SO
Soupnzi London London
AOP doesn’t really work without Adam Boulton. It’s to his credit that it’s a strand which has hints of being as idiosyncratic as Andrew Neil was with TW.
GI
Gibsy Granada North West Today
If this is the NBC reporter you mean, it looks like a working from home setup with a TV backdrop, Can't imagine its over satellite.

I think the discussion is about how it gets to Sky, not how it gets from the reporter's home.

Question is whether the reporter is connected directly to Sky (via a Sky LiveU/WMT etc. server) or whether the reporter is connected to LiveU/WMT server at NBC in NY/DC etc. as usual, then there would be an additional connection from NBC NY/DC etc. to Sky (which may be satellite or a compressed IP circuit etc.)

Now being shown on screen as 'Sky Correspondent'
PS
psi123 World News
Gibsy posted:

Yes this is a NBC/WRC-4 (DC owned-and-operated) Washington reporter named Tracie Potts. She files live reports every day for the national newscast Early Today on most NBC stations (4:00 a.m. via recording in my market.) She also appears during my local station's breakfast show with live DC updates from 4:30-7 through what must be an affiliate arrangement that all NBC stations must have the option to take at certain set times. Her Twitter account shows a pic of her broadcasting live from what she describes the "NBC Potts Bureau" so she is definitely at home. Must have a busy schedule with hits on NBC, the affiliates, Sky and likely NBC News Now plus WRC.
RK
Rkolsen World News
Gibsy posted:

Yes this is a NBC/WRC-4 (DC owned-and-operated) Washington reporter named Tracie Potts. She files live reports every day for the national newscast Early Today on most NBC stations (4:00 a.m. via recording in my market.) She also appears during my local station's breakfast show with live DC updates from 4:30-7 through what must be an affiliate arrangement that all NBC stations must have the option to take at certain set times. Her Twitter account shows a pic of her broadcasting live from what she describes the "NBC Potts Bureau" so she is definitely at home. Must have a busy schedule with hits on NBC, the affiliates, Sky and likely NBC News Now plus WRC.

I believe she falls under the guise of NBC News Channel. Their news services for owned stations, affiliates as well international clients.

With these stations typically book time in advance at a first come first serve basis (probably are limits and O&Os get guaranteed hits). There are also during big events live hits that go out to all for them to take where the station is told a question to ask, then the reporter will answer, a package rolls and a generic toss back.

Also there are look lives and custom tag outs where the station has to edit it on themselves. Most of of the tag outs are delivered in one big video of either the reporter in vision reading what ever tag the station recorded or a video with the stations call sign where the tag out is supposed to be audio only. You can usually identify those because of different inflections.
Last edited by Rkolsen on 13 January 2021 12:21am
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
CH
Charles World News
Gibsy posted:

I believe she falls under the guise of NBC News Channel. Their news services for owned stations, affiliates as well international clients.

With these stations typically book time in advance at a first come first serve basis (probably are limits and O&Os get guaranteed hits). There are also during big events live hits that go out to all for them to take where the station is told a question to ask, then the reporter will answer, a package rolls and a generic toss back.

Also there are look lives and custom tag outs where the station has to edit it on themselves. Most of of the tag outs are delivered in one big video of either the reporter in vision reading what ever tag the station recorded or a video with the stations call sign where the tag out is supposed to be audio only. You can usually identify those because of different inflections.

Tracie Potts is free to use for O&Os. They don't necessarily get 'guaranteed' slots as I believe booking is first come, first serve, but there are usually enough slots to go around as long as producers are somewhat flexible. Affiliates have to pay for live shots, and O&Os have to pay for any other live offer. I think it's $150 for domestic live shots and $300 for international ones. I think NBC also charges for custom tags to stick onto the end of an as-live PKG.

NBC sometimes does do group lives, but it's usually pretty rare. ABC does them a lot more, and I think CBS too.

Out of all the NBC News Channel correspondents, Tracie Potts and Jay Gray are probably the most visible. Tracie Potts appears on Early Today and CNBC on an almost daily basis, and Jay Gray's seen on the network often when he's at a big event. The rest of them (Susan McGinnis, Jennifer Johnson, Dan Scheneman, and plenty of others) are rarely seen anywhere other than on the local stations.
FU
fusionlad Founding member West Country (West) Spotlight
I know it's been talked about before, but what is the reasoning for 2 Sky News logos slapped on top of eachother top left? It seems that one of the logos has moved a few pixels making it even more obvious there's one logo over another.
Watching on Sky Q if it makes a difference to platform.
VA
valley
I know it's been talked about before, but what is the reasoning for 2 Sky News logos slapped on top of eachother top top left? It seems that one of the logos has moved a few pixels making it even more obvious there's one logo over another.
Watching on Sky Q if it makes a difference to platform.

Both the gallery and TX are applying the DOG - it is not intentional (I hope). The gallery should have it on their output but TX should not apply it other than during pre-recorded segments such as the Sportsline international filler.
PA
PATV Scunthorpe Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
I think it's been like that for quite a while, not as noticeable for the UK audience, except for the TOTH for News at 10, where it appears before the gallery has animated their DOG on because of the clock face titles. (Check spoiler)

I think even on the pre-recorded content, when TX plays it out instead of the gallery (as they did over Christmas for the 2020 review shows), it still gets double DOGged but the two are even more out of alignment (possibly because a ticker can be added and that may carry a DOG as well).

At least 2017, as shown here, difference being the old logo used to fade on, since the 2018 refreshed logo has just appeared.

“Nostalgia’s cool, but it won’t help me now, the dream is good, if you don’t wear it out.”

Newer posts