TV Home Forum

End of the road for UTV?

Split from UTV - From City Quays 2 onwards (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
TV Times
Mark my words.....getting rid of Julian & Gillian is (as a politician would say...) "an error of judgment" .

Making the UTV continuity announcer roles redundant made sound business sense, particularly as I imagine Julian and Gillian won't have been cheap due to their longevity at the company. They also presumably got a nice redundancy package and Julian at least seems perfectly happy with the way he was treated.

The "error of judgement" is the hiring of the (still unidentified?) ITV announcer who has made gaffe after gaffe.

Current ITV Announcing Team:

Andrea Fox, Kyle Hector, Christine Hewitt, Jason Milligan, Andrew Hayden-Smith
JO
Jon
Ben posted:
Is it possible that the script was autocorrected?

I think it’s more likely the announcer is unaware of Northern Irish politics and just assumed it was a typo.
GO
gottago
I quite like this guy's voice but he definitely needs a fair bit of extra training. The other day his line into Paul Sinha's TV Showdown was "now it's time to put your comedy hat on" which isn't really... a thing is it? Some of his other scripts have been similarly basic (I assume they all write them themselves?).
JO
Jon
I quite like this guy's voice but he definitely needs a fair bit of extra training. The other day his line into Paul Sinha's TV Showdown was "now it's time to put your comedy hat on" which isn't really... a thing is it? Some of his other scripts have been similarly basic (I assume they all write them themselves?).

Ah yes, I knew he’d said something really strange the other day but I couldn’t remember what. Perhaps he meant or someone told him to say “it’s time for Paul Sinha to put his comedy hat on” which would have made much more sense.
Last edited by Jon on 12 January 2021 7:27pm - 2 times in total
AndrewPSSP, Alfie Mulcahy and Meridian AM gave kudos
TI
This Is Granada
FFS.....ANOTHER UTV continuity cock up!

This time Andrea.

"Meeting some of the new farming families of 2020, its new breed."

Its called Rare Breed dear Miss Fox. And its 2021 now!!!
Last edited by This Is Granada on 12 January 2021 8:11pm - 2 times in total
SC
Si-Co
Mark my words.....getting rid of Julian & Gillian is (as a politician would say...) "an error of judgment" .

Making the UTV continuity announcer roles redundant made sound business sense, particularly as I imagine Julian and Gillian won't have been cheap due to their longevity at the company. They also presumably got a nice redundancy package and Julian at least seems perfectly happy with the way he was treated.

The "error of judgement" is the hiring of the (still unidentified?) ITV announcer who has made gaffe after gaffe.

Current ITV Announcing Team:

Andrea Fox, Kyle Hector, Christine Hewitt, Jason Milligan, Andrew Hayden-Smith

Kyle Hector appears to be the guy in question. I had a quick search of Facebook and Twitter to see if I could put a face to the name. The profile of a certain @kylehector4 caught my eye on Twitter, for all the wrong reasons! (NSFW)
WH
Whataday Founding member

This time Andrea.

Its called Rare Breed dear. And its 2021 now!!!

Don't you think as it's 2021 we might have moved on from addressing a female announcer as "dear"?
TI
This Is Granada

This time Andrea.

Don't you think as it's 2021 we might have moved on from addressing a female announcer as "dear"?

Oh please. Rolling Eyes

Above post edited to keep the peace.
Last edited by This Is Granada on 12 January 2021 8:14pm
denton, AndrewPSSP and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
BR
Brekkie

This time Andrea.

We've established This is Granada is firmly stuck in the 90s.
TI
This Is Granada
The 'View from Julian' on the 'Views from Storm Front' debacle...

Belfast Telegraph:
Quote:
Former UTV star Julian Simmons has said he sympathises with a continuity announcer who mistakenly introduced View From Stormont as "Views From Storm Front", but believes it shouldn't have gone out on air.
JO
Joe
Well that’s an absolutely nothing statement. I could have guessed he said that without even trying. In fact, there’s not even a quotation from him.

Maybe you should let this go?
SC
Si-Co
The 'View from Julian' on the 'Views from Storm Front' debacle...

Belfast Telegraph:
Quote:
Former UTV star Julian Simmons has said he sympathises with a continuity announcer who mistakenly introduced View From Stormont as "Views From Storm Front", but believes it shouldn't have gone out on air.

Anyone can make a mistake. I think the real question is, if this VO was pre-recorded, why did no-one spot the error before it went to air? Surely at the very least the person responsible for “pressing play” will have previewed it, unless the announcer fulfills that role too?

Newer posts