Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube

BU
buster London London
Any Ceefax experts know when that opening card was replaced on PFC? I know it carried on for years, long after it stopped appearing on Ceefax itself.

Looks like (checking Youtube clips) that it was eventually replaced in 2006 by this:*

It was odd that they replaced it (because it was out of date) with the most out of date Ceefax logo you could imagine. Oddly though that became more widely used towards the end of Ceefax - I think it made it on air in a few programmes promoting their pages too.
MM
MMcG198 UTV Newsline
Any Ceefax experts know when that opening card was replaced on PFC? I know it carried on for years, long after it stopped appearing on Ceefax itself.

Looks like (checking Youtube clips) that it was eventually replaced in 2006 by this:*

And that old logo slide is full of technically impossible characteristics.

I raised the use of a very old logo with them on at least 2 occasions (many years ago now), and I believe the response I received was that this was the official logo they had on file for Ceefax in Pres, and they had no plans to change it.
TM
ToasterMan Granada North West Today
Considering it was introduced in November 1996, the logo seemed to be based on the current BBC corporate logo, even though it was introduced in October 1997. I say that was because it was retained until the analogue switch-off fifteen years later.

(Funnily enough, I was thinking about this era of Ceefax while I was out shopping this afternoon.)
XI
Xilla Central
That old style of Ceefax logo made a few appearances in the 90s and 00s as part of the "technical fault" page didn't it?
MM
MMcG198 UTV Newsline
Xilla posted:
That old style of Ceefax logo made a few appearances in the 90s and 00s as part of the "technical fault" page didn't it?

Yes, my understanding is that this was a piece of fallback kit installed at main TX sites in the late-80s. I'm guessing it's main purpose was to address the problem that arose when the nations were still broadcasting after network closed down, and Ceefax disappeared when the network signal was cut.

In fact this very apology page made its final appearance when BBC One NI analogue was switched off in October 2012.

RI
Richard Granada North West Today
Yes, the final IBA announcements on ITV were in May 1983 as far as I'm aware, when TV-am was extended from 9:15 to 9:25.

I presume it must have been contractural that the 405 line transmitter stayed on until 9:25.

How was 405 lines fed at this point? Was it a separate network? Where was the standards conversion done? Something I’d not really thought about before!
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Xilla posted:

Yes, my understanding is that this was a piece of fallback kit installed at main TX sites in the late-80s. I'm guessing it's main purpose was to address the problem that arose when the nations were still broadcasting after network closed down, and Ceefax disappeared when the network signal was cut.

In fact this very apology page made its final appearance when BBC One NI analogue was switched off in October 2012.

Yes, I remember seeing that page appear at one point- it appeared when Look North was on air, then Ceefax came back when they went back to network, so somehow the Ceefax feed must have been lost when Leeds was on air that day.
Last edited by james-2001 on 12 January 2021 12:21am
IS
Inspector Sands

How was 405 lines fed at this point? Was it a separate network? Where was the standards conversion done? Something I’d not really thought about before!

I saw a conversation about this somewhere, possibly here about this recently.

In the case of ITV, originally the standards conversion was done at the TV station but very early on it switched to be done at the TX sites to avoid having two sets of distribution. This was done by literally unplugging the converters and driving them to their new location. I'd have thought it stayed like this until the end.

I wonder what the situation was at sites that didn't do 625 like Lichfield and Croydon, whether they installed/upgraded the circuits to them and converted there, or they got fed from the nearby 625 site
NW
nwtv2003 Granada North West Today
We’re sorry we can’t bring you the next programme...

steve
steviegTVreturns
Si-Co and Inspector Sands gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
That's a great find. I wonder what that was about, I can't see anything about it online. Thames had a lot of industrial disputes in 1984, ironically during the long one in Augusy/September the only programme the unions allowed to be broadcast was an episode of TV Eye about the Ethiopia famine
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
I know that two episodes of the first series of The Bill only went out of Thames due to industrial action- clearly that particular strike allowed them to broadcast programmes locally but not network them. The 2 "missing" episodes were later networked after the end of the series.
IS
Inspector Sands
I know that two episodes of the first series of The Bill only went out of Thames due to industrial action- clearly that particular strike allowed them to broadcast programmes locally but not network them. The 2 "missing" episodes were later networked after the end of the series.

Yes that will presumably be the month long strike later in the year when management took over operations and there was no networking - Thames only broadcast what it had in its vaults, and the rest of the country had to fill the gaps left by a lack of Thames programmes

Newer posts