TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I think a lot of you are missing the point. Does this job need to be done? No

You are missing the point. That is not the criteria for this lockdown. You can leave home for any form of work that can't reasonably be done from home.
Ittr, DE88 and Jonwo gave kudos
MA
Markymark

You are missing the point. That is not the criteria for this lockdown. You can leave home for any form of work that can't reasonably be done from home.

Yes, that is correct. I think what Tim is arguing is that just because something is within the law, or the current guidlines, doesn't mean to say it neccesarily should be done, because it still raises the risk level. We will all have our own individual opinion where the line should be drawn on that balance.

It's like anything, it's risk vs benefit
GE
thegeek Founding member

Indeed. The key messaging is 'stay at home' (as it was back in March), but the guidance and the legislation list many exceptions. If the government wanted to stop as many people going to work then they could legislate to close more types of business.

I think what Tim is arguing is that just because something is within the law, or the current guidlines, doesn't mean to say it neccesarily should be done, because it still raises the risk level.
and having seen ITV's processes for productions at the moment, their H&S guidance go over and above the government's own guidelines. They're taking the risk seriously, and I'm sure if they thought the risk was too great they would pause production.
GO
gottago
Keeping up public morale and mental health is an important part of the pandemic response and that like it or not that does include television; it's one of the reasons why the government set up its emergency TV insurance scheme to get the industry up and running again. People need entertainment and motivation whilst staying locked up inside and shows need to stay in production because of that, particularly at a point when the pre-recorded shelves are becoming particularly bare.

Anyone on here who has been involved in a production during the pandemic will know how Covid regulations are policed to the point of tedium on set and DOI will be no different. There's no reason why it can't be safely produced. All concerns raised on here with regards to what happens with injuries, cast and crew movements etc. will have been planned for meticulously by a team with a far better insight into how to operate in the current conditions.

The idea that people will watch Dancing on Ice and will be motivated to break the rules and leave home is one of the dumbest things I've read on here, sorry.
JO
Joe
I didn't watch Strictly, though I did watch Bake Off. Seemingly, both shows emphasised how things were being done safely and in line with guidance and rules. (For Strictly, I seem to remember some saying that comment was made too much on the show – they can't win.) As such, the idea that the public will see it and think things are being done normally, and thus act normally themselves, seems way off.

It's worth remembering that if these shows can carry on safely, they are not only providing entertainment for the viewers (TV has been a godsend for me this year), they are also supporting jobs, industries and businesses hugely affected by this pandemic. It's easy to sit and say 'Dancing on Ice shouldn't be on.' I don't know what some members do for work, but I wouldn't want to be the one to have to tell those working on productions (and those supporting them indirectly, such as, for instance, the café kept in business because of people going into work to produce that show) that they're not going to be able to any more.

Businesses have been hit hard. TV companies are businesses too. If they can keep going safely, while entertaining/informing people and making clear what they're doing differently this time – good on them.
Last edited by Joe on 10 January 2021 4:00pm
JE
Jenny Founding member
Keeping up public morale and mental health is an important part of the pandemic response

It's a bit late for that now.
GO
gottago
Jenny posted:
Keeping up public morale and mental health is an important part of the pandemic response

It's a bit late for that now.

Well watch it get significantly worse if all significant production is stopped.
JO
Jonwo
I think the broadcasters realised early on that there is only so much you can do on Zoom and at home as we saw with things like Graham Norton and HIGNFY, it sucked the life out of them hence the need to restart production.
FL
Flux
Jonwo posted:
I think the broadcasters realised early on that there is only so much you can do on Zoom and at home as we saw with things like Graham Norton and HIGNFY, it sucked the life out of them hence the need to restart production.

I don’t think they “realised” it - I think they always knew they were limited and were simply making the best output they could using Zoom (well, more advanced versions of similar software) whilst they waited to get back to some kind of proper production. In the meantime a lot of work and time went into making studios, offices and work practices Covid safe/compliant so that shows could then return to production as soon as possible, as the government had deemed broadcasting important. Production teams are now working in legally covid safe environments which is why we’re not needing such an extreme return to the Zoom-style output of the first lockdown.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

As previously stated, you are missing the point and to be honest I think we're at a stage now we can reasonably reply to you: Please change the record because with all due respect you sound like a right miserable sod.

If you want to exist in a miserable dystopian environment where fun is illegal, please take yourself there and let the rest of us be.
BR
Brekkie

As previously stated, you are missing the point and to be honest I think we're at a stage now we can reasonably reply to you: Please change the record because with all due respect you sound like a right miserable sod.

If you want to exist in a miserable dystopian environment where fun is illegal, please take yourself there and let the rest of us be.

Just no need for replies like that. Please be more respectful of other peoples concerns, and of the forum rules.
Markymark and VMPhil gave kudos
TI
timbouk
I don’t want to spoil anyone’s fun, It was just an observation that during the deadly part of the pandemic itv are to launch a new series of a live show that could perhaps be delayed for a few weeks. Totally get i appear not to have the same views as others on here. Let’s move on and all stay safe.

Newer posts