TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HC
Hatton Cross
ITV could do worse than urgently commission Name That Tune to fill the gaping chasm of Q2 Saturdays. Didn’t they do a pilot ages ago with Bill Bailey?

If the BBC were in for this - I'd say Bill Bailey as presenter, and the band/singers from Strictly I could see making a decent watchable combo.
DJ
DJGM

ITV could do worse than urgently commission Name That Tune to fill the gaping chasm of Q2 Saturdays.
Didn’t they do a pilot ages ago with Bill Bailey?

I wondered what happened with it. He would be the ideal choice to host that, especially since he recently won SCD.
CF
CallumF
BBC's plan for 'lockdown fitness' programming: https://bbc.in/396EqDq

From Monday 11th, daily features at 07:50 during Breakfast then from Monday 25th, at 09:15 on Morning Live and on BBC Two in the mornings during secondary school programming.
WH
what
I’m an Aston Villa fan through and through, but I just don’t understand why they chose Tyrone Mings of all people to front this.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Tyrone is going places listen to the episode of The High Performance Podcast in which he's featured. Good Choice, whether he can make it with the current C19 situation at Villa is another matter.
TI
timbouk
I am not sure how ITV can justify launching Dancing on Ice during the worse part of the pandemic so far.

I know they can’t film it at home but seems a bit rich that ice rinks are closed across the country and people are staying at home but ITV can use there own Ice rink because apparently they are ‘covid secure’.

Regardless if they are regularly tested it is a tv show not a professional sport. Ice skating is a fairly dangerous sport so I would hope no one will require any medical assistance during the series.

The pandemic is much worse than when Strictly started and needs to be delayed or cancelled.
SC
Score
I don’t see why producing Dancing on Ice is any worse than any other TV show being made just now. I don’t see why it’s any worse than continuing to produce the soaps or other entertainment shows.

If you shut Dancing on Ice down you essentially open the door for everything that isn’t news/PSB being shut down as well, which helps no one.
Universal_r, LondonViewer and Jonwo gave kudos
TI
timbouk
To be honest I think things like the soaps and entertainment should stop filming for a few weeks. People need to wake up to how deadly this phase of the pandemic is.
SC
Score
Whilst I agree people need to wake up, I don’t think TV production is the problem here. Indeed, with all the protocols in place it sounds like a TV set is one of the safest places to be and I think there have been very few cases on them (so far!).

Worth remembering that TV was never actually ordered to shut down back in March, they all just stopped because they didn’t have any safety measures in place, which is no longer the case.
MarkT76, DE88 and tightrope78 gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Score posted:
I don’t see why producing Dancing on Ice is any worse than any other TV show being made just now. I don’t see why it’s any worse than continuing to produce the soaps or other entertainment shows.

Ice Skating is more dangerous than answering questions on a quiz show. Fully agree this isn't the time to launch it and I think what really is "essential" during the worst stage of this pandemic will be a major point of discussion this week given comments by teaching unions and scientists over the last couple of days.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
To be honest I think things like the soaps and entertainment should stop filming for a few weeks. People need to wake up to how deadly this phase of the pandemic is.

I fail to see how not filming EastEnders, Coronation Street and Emmerdale (and the others) will allow people to "wake up".
Realistically if the new Chris Whitty adverts don't do the job, nothing will.
FL
Flux

I fail to see how not filming EastEnders, Coronation Street and Emmerdale (and the others) will allow people to "wake up".
Realistically if the new Chris Whitty adverts don't do the job, nothing will.

Especially when stopping filming soaps "for a few weeks" now wouldn't affect anything on screen anyway until weeks or months down the line when they run out of episodes again (who knows how far in advance they are since they returned!). Also worth noting that for the first lockdown in March, we were still watching episodes of soaps which had all been filmed pre-Covid. They even cut down the weekly slots so we could watch Ian Beale, Rita Tanner and their ilk swanning around in a world where Covid didn't exist across as long a period as possible. And that didn't stop people understanding the seriousness of the situation or lessen the adherence to the lockdown rules at the time.
DE88, tightrope78 and Jonwo gave kudos

Newer posts