TV Home Forum

The Chase | Beat the Chasers

Beat the Chasers S2 launches Sun 3 Jan

SC
Score Granada North West Today
Pretty sure series 1 was filmed at Elstree and series 2 at LH2, as initially they were planning to have a socially distanced audience for this series, and SRO were saying LH2 at the time. So unless they changed it last minute then it’s LH2, I imagine Jenny just got mixed up.

This series was recorded in November and doesn’t Strictly normally use Elstree?
VA
valley
Score posted:
Pretty sure series 1 was filmed at Elstree and series 2 at LH2, as initially they were planning to have a socially distanced audience for this series, and SRO were saying LH2 at the time. So unless they changed it last minute then it’s LH2, I imagine Jenny just got mixed up.

It was recorded at LH2. https://www.facebook.com/137520546438439/posts/series-2-of-beat-the-chasers-has-just-been-shot-lh2-and-jll-were-proud-to-be-ask/1578209192369560/
UBox and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
UB
UBox Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Score posted:

It was recorded at LH2. https://www.facebook.com/137520546438439/posts/series-2-of-beat-the-chasers-has-just-been-shot-lh2-and-jll-were-proud-to-be-ask/1578209192369560/

Thanks Valley. Series 1 was done at the George Lucas Stage I believe.
Stay at Home. Watch TV. Post about it on TVF.
PK
pk93 Central Reporting Scotland
The amount of Chasers you take on doesn't make a difference really? They are going to get most questions right anyway but can have the odd slip up.

On most cases - I've thought this. Most rounds the chasers get usually 1 wrong. Rarely 0 wrong, occasionally more than 1. So it's more about backing yourself on knowing questions and how much of a time advantage you want and dispensing Qs quickly you don't know.
PK
PF
PFML84 UTV Newsline
Did anyone else notice the Chasers clock counting down really fast during last nights show? The contestant still lost, but it was odd to see it moving so quickly, it happened around the 15 second mark.

There is also some controversy over the £44,000 winner in last nights show. Bradley didn't accept an answer from Paul Sinha because he pronounced it incorrectly, meaning the Chasers lost, but Mark pronounced an answer incorrectly the night before and it was accepted.
what and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
UB
UBox Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
The Chase US launched yesterday on ABC. The full episode has been uploaded here on YouTube:

Overall I don't mind it at all but there's quite a few places where it just doesn't work.

-Ken Jennings was better than I expected at the intimidating chaser persona. There's a 'chaser lounge' which is as cringe-worthy as you'd expect. If they were really wanting to use all three you'd have thought they'd have gone for a BTC version instead.
-They've used a weird mishmash of new music stings/beds etc. and some of those from our version.
-$25k per cash-builder question is just ridiculous, ruins the tactics behind having a low offer too.
-They also insist, like the first GSN series, on having the chaser reveal their answer by explaining their logic.
-Many people have commented on the lack of pace. Unlike the original US version, which also had 3 contestants, this one felt slow. Haines seems to read the questions very slowly and especially in the final chase it just lacks the fast-pace or rush that our version has.
Jennings had no chance of catching them with the reading pace.
Stay at Home. Watch TV. Post about it on TVF.
AlfieMulcahy, DE88 and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Studio is very nice, graphics not bad but the table isn't as clear as ours. The Bank row is unnecessary.

Pace isn't great and Chasers answering the question nowhere near as effective as just revealing it - and indeed the sound package throughout is rather poor.

What kills it though is what kills many US shows - they don't understand the value of money and $25k a question is way too much, whilst low offers at half of what they won just exacerbates the problem. $10k probably would have worked, with low offers around a fifth of what they won and high offers ten times what they won.

The Chasers lounge also doesn't really work. With three contestants and three Chasers would probably be better to do what our show does at Christmas and have one Chaser per contestant then, then one to come back for the final Chase.
Last edited by Brekkie on 8 January 2021 4:48pm
Be nicer and more tolerant to each other. Them's the rules.
DW
DavidWhitfield Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Chasers' Lounge is ghastly.
It's like there's been an editing mix-up and they've accidentally slotted bits of Gogglebox into the middle of the episode at random intervals.
Takes you out of the action, adds nothing whatsoever.
Guess who's big in the back time!
DE88, DeMarkay and Jon gave kudos
JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today
I thought it was alright and could have been worse. Music was different but ok, some UK sounds effects there too. Cash builder money is too big.

From the quick scan through ‘The Chasers lounge’ is a bit rubbish and jarring but at least it’s used more sparingly than it could have been.

Apart from the question pace, I thought the presenter does a better job than Brooke Burns.

The question graphics are also clearer than the tiny GSN version, which is good. But the animation of the final chase graphics just look odd.

Overall not a bad effort and it could be a lot worse.

Edit: I agree with Brekkie, 10k for the cash builder would have been about right and would have allowed the big money to come from taking the high offers.
Last edited by Jon on 8 January 2021 4:26pm - 2 times in total
AlfieMulcahy, DeMarkay and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
DM
DeMarkay London London
I don’t get why they use our music when a contestant banks their money, but not throughout the show. WWTBAM and Weakest Link must be the only exports in which the Americans use our music.
DE88 and Roger Darthwell gave kudos
JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today
I don’t get why they use our music when a contestant banks their money, but not throughout the show. WWTBAM and Weakest Link must be the only exports in which the Americans use our music.

I guess you could argue when those shows were imported the music was still a recent creation and wouldn’t have dated. But maybe it wouldn’t sound so good for someone listening for the first time in 2021. It’s difficult for us to compare the US music with ours as we’re so used to ours. For what it’s worth I think the US music is quite good in its own right and quite catchy. It’s certainly a better effort than whatever GSN did.
Last edited by Jon on 8 January 2021 5:35pm
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
I think one flaw with the US set is the Chaser gets lost in it and seems such a small figure. The design of ours makes the Chaser look like the dominant overbearing figure they want them to be and make it more intimidating.
Be nicer and more tolerant to each other. Them's the rules.

Newer posts