TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Possibly just Studioworks? Martin Lewis's show is in TC2.
NG
noggin Founding member

The BBC informed staff across the corporation (including News, Studios and Studioworks) yesterday that there were new protocols arriving next week.

Lateral Flow Testing is being introduced. Test will be twice a week for people working in BBC buildings for 4 or more days a week, or a test once a week for those working 3 or fewer days a week.

2m proximity warning devices to be worn by key staff in certain areas to warn them when they are closer than 2m to someone else wearing a similar device, but the announcement didn't elaborate on who these key staff were. It would certainly make sense for it to be those who have to work with limited visibility (such as those in studios).
CO
commseng

The BBC informed staff across the corporation (including News, Studios and Studioworks) yesterday that there were new protocols arriving next week.

Lateral Flow Testing is being introduced. Test will be twice a week for people working in BBC buildings for 4 or more days a week, or a test once a week for those working 3 or fewer days a week.

2m proximity warning devices to be worn by key staff in certain areas to warn them when they are closer than 2m to someone else wearing a similar device, but the announcement didn't elaborate on who these key staff were. It would certainly make sense for it to be those who have to work with limited visibility (such as those in studios).

I hope you aren't talking about the Vision Engineers.......
Although I did once have a below average Sound crew on a show, which included a nearly deaf sound assistant.
He turned out to be one of the better ones!
IS
Inspector Sands
The challenges of filming CBBC programmes in covid times:
http://awfullybigblogadventure.blogspot.com/2021/01/kids-tv-in-time-of-covid-success-story.html?m=1
MarkT76, Steve in Pudsey and iloveTV1 gave kudos
GO
gottago
Here's the new American version of Name That Tune filmed in Australia with a full studio audience and with US ex-pats as contestants (though I assume Randy Jackson and Jane Krakowski are still very much US based!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZVVuux2Q0w

I wonder if any UK channels have considered doing any Australia-based shows. There'd certainly be a big enough British casting pool out there!
IS
Inspector Sands
I'm not sure what the advantage would be, Australia are quarantining people coming into the country in a hotel for 2 weeks. Surely a TV company could just do the same here and save on the airfairs?
AD
adamiow
I'm not sure what the advantage would be, Australia are quarantining people coming into the country in a hotel for 2 weeks. Surely a TV company could just do the same here and save on the airfairs?

I think gottago means utilising the British talent living there along with an Australian crew.
DM
DeMarkay
The style that Americans film and edit in, really annoy me. Within the first minute there are spoilers and the way it’s filmed really irks me.
Hatton Cross and Ghost gave kudos
GO
gottago

You can't fill a studio with an audience and have a crew that doesn't need to socially distance as much over here. It would give them the exact same advantages that made Fox order that very show, the point is they made in Oz to have as normal looking a show as possible.
JO
Jon
I think if we’ve learnt anything it is that studio audiences on most shows aren’t that important and most shows can run just as well without them. If you were to have a show with a full studio audience it would just look like it was recorded over a year ago or that the production is flouting Covid rules to the average viewer. Not to mention you could go to all that effort only for the Aussies to have an outbreak and change all their rules the day before you start filming.
SO
Soupnzi
ITV could do worse than urgently commission Name That Tune to fill the gaping chasm of Q2 Saturdays. Didn’t they do a pilot ages ago with Bill Bailey?
HC
Hatton Cross
The style that Americans film and edit in, really annoy me. Within the first minute there are spoilers and the way it’s filmed really irks me.

It's America though. Problem is, there's at least a 12 mins of commercials between the titles, and the end game of the show, so blowing most of the surprises (and tension) is needed to keep viewers hooked.

Soon, I'm sure we'll get subtitles on the bottom of the screen in the pre-title tease, whether we want it or not, because 'the kids are used to it on social media, and thats what we have to do to engage and get them to watch the show' Mad

Jane also forgot to pack some bra's before going to Australia..

Newer posts