Media Websites

BBC & Ravensbourne University Motion Graphics Archive

Treasure-trove of clips (November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
Jamesypoo
Plus, it also says they could ‘change certain elements every hour’. But as I remember it, it was only the rather crudely animated rotating top-story headline that ever changed. It makes the titles sound rather more impressive than they were.

I think the only other thing they could change was the position from which the globe started rotating from, the idea being it would start off wherever the story featured in the flying headline originated.

I never realised that. Clearly that subtlety was lost on me - presumably because most of the time the top story would be from the UK.

Yeah, take a look at these 2 videos showing the difference. Like you say most stories on News 24 during that period originated from Europe or the Middle East so we rarely saw the difference, but it was fairly noticeable for US stories for example.

bilky asko and Spencer gave kudos
BA
bilky asko
Plus, it also says they could ‘change certain elements every hour’. But as I remember it, it was only the rather crudely animated rotating top-story headline that ever changed. It makes the titles sound rather more impressive than they were.

I think the only other thing they could change was the position from which the globe started rotating from, the idea being it would start off wherever the story featured in the flying headline originated.

I never realised that. Clearly that subtlety was lost on me - presumably because most of the time the top story would be from the UK.

Here's an example, unfortunately quite a low quality one, featuring South America:

(at 00:59)
BU
buster
I remember, shortly after that globe gimmick was introduced, speculation on here where the globe would start from when news of "Beagle 2" landing on Mars was the top story at Christmas 2003 Very Happy
AL
AaronLancs
I always wondered what it would have looked like if it came up from Antarctica.
IS
Inspector Sands
I so dislike that fad of having the headline appear in the titles but so short it's just an out of context fragment.

BBC London did it around the same time although I think most of the time the headline was replaced by the default 'listen to 94.9fm, visit bbc.co.uk/london' which didn't work either - I'm watching TV, why is it telling me to listen to the radio instead
Spencer and Meridian AM gave kudos
BH
BillyH Founding member
I associate that title sequence with the words “VICTORY PARADE” as that’s what it showed on the first day of the look.
BU
buster
I so dislike that fad of having the headline appear in the titles but so short it's just an out of context fragment.

It didn't look great either. The rendering left it looking a bit jerky, and it seemed every other time I saw it the audio was out of sync (I think it fired off separately?) so the "explosion" wouldn't line up with the crash at the start of the music, which meant the end formup was out of time too. When the BBC1 bulletins finally started using a version of it the following summer it was a pre-rendered version which looked so much better, though it didn't make much sense to have "BBC News" scrolling round followed at the end by, er, BBC News. It was clearly designed to be a dynamic headline most of the time, it just didn't work that well in practice.
SP
Spencer
I agree. I always thought as a sequence it looked a bit cheap and crude, especially compared to the Lambie-Nairn titles it replaced. I particularly hated the way the scrolling headline originally just disappeared with a sudden cut rather than animating off - although they did change it to a fade-out after a while which was marginally better.

I wasn’t a particular fan of the clamshell (or should I say, ‘ear’) device. I always thought it looked a bit odd and unbalanced on screen. That said, the short-lived final incarnation of the clamshell titles in 2007 looked pretty decent.
RO
robharrison
Amazing to see some of these classic idents again!
Which reminds me, I must get around to finsishing the tansfer of some of my old Digi Beta tapes while in lockdown and I've got a bit more time Smile
I've just transferred a few of the Balloon id's from 2000, here's a sneak peak, it would be good to find a home for them all one of these days, maybe even on the Ravensborune website! Very Happy

https://up.metropol247.co.uk/robharrison/Lifestyle%20Idents.mp4
Last edited by robharrison on 8 January 2021 6:20pm
MW
Mike W
Which reminds me, I must get around to finsishing the tansfer of some of my old Digi Beta tapes while in lockdown and I've got a bit more time Smile
I've just transferred a few of the Balloon id's from 2000, here's a sneak peak, it would be good to find a home for them all one of these days, maybe even on the Ravensborune website! Very Happy

I like! Though the BBC One logo at the start perturbs me... not going to lie.
VM
VMPhil

Thanks so much for this! I never really liked these ones because the balloon looks so fake, made even worse by seeing it in high quality. But thanks for sharing them in such high quality and without all the text (particularly the unnecessary BBC website URL).

If you have any of the original set with the real balloon in high quality widescreen, it would make my day!
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Not sure what this was, but it certainly wasn't the 1998 BBC One Christmas ident.

https://www.ravensbourne.ac.uk/bbc-motion-graphics-archive/bbc-one-christmas-ident-1-1998

Newer posts