TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain

(November 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
Steve Williams
I don't think viewers are as concerned about all this as you seem to think they might be.

I mean, it's not keeping me awake at night or anything. I'm sure nobody is that bothered, and if it's not giving them what they want they'll go elsewhere, but that does mean it's always going to be limited in its appeal if nobody knows when anything is happening.

Just out of interest, have Good Morning Britain ever said that they will provide the news headlines at 'the top of the hour'? Or is it just assumed that because it's on at that time of day, it must have the news at that time?

I would assume that doing a top of the hour sequence, it is supposed to be followed by the main stories, and is supposed to be at the top of the hour, yes.

And as I say, I don't recall Victoria Derbyshire getting such a free pass on the idea they were doing something differently and you could get the news elsewhere.
DW
DavidWhitfield
Worth noting that the reason that some people here are assuming that GMB would do the TOTH sequence followed by the headlines on the hour (every hour) is because ... they did , for a good while, before their priorities seemingly changed with the hiring of Mr Morgan. Just look at the many videos on YouTube of how GMB was from launch in 2014 to late 2015 to see how the show ran when they made an effort to keep to the timings and you'll see what a difference it is to today's lax attitude.

Yes, of course you can always find an alternative news source, or put the radio on, or just look at the BBC News app in bed, but if ITV are going to put on a live breakfast show which claims to be as vital a news source as they like to say they are when complaining about politicians refusing to be interviewed, then they could at least provide a high-quality consistent service people can rely on.
JA
JAS84
Joe posted:
Steve Williams posted:
OK, they did the news at 7.12 yesterday, so I'll get up at 7.10 so I can see it. Oh no, they did it at 7.03 today, so I missed it.

I'm sorry but I just don't buy that anybody is consuming breakfast TV in this way. Those that watch do it to fill time. You head down for breakfast etc. at 7.18, you leave the house at 7.28, and while you're sat there with your cornflakes you might stick the TV on and watch Good Morning Britain or Breakfast or whatever. I just can't imagine anybody intentionally waking up 5 minutes earlier to catch the headlines in this way. TV at that time fits entirely around what you're already doing, not the other way round.

You might disagree, and that's fine – I could well be wrong and it is what thousands do each day. I'm just saying that I can't see it being the case.
You head down for breakfast, then ten minutes later are already out of the door? Surely that's not enough time to eat, let alone get washed and dressed? Half an hour sounds more likely.
JO
Joe
Not only are the timings I plucked out of nowhere irrelevant to my point, but astonishingly I can manage to eat 30g of cornflakes and some milk in under 5 minutes before leaving the house, yes.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Joe posted:
Not only are the timings I plucked out of nowhere irrelevant to my point, but astonishingly I can manage to eat 30g of cornflakes and some milk in under 5 minutes before leaving the house, yes.

What do you do on days when you decide to have bacon and egg or something?

Considering case in point this morning I didn't get up until 7:40. Once I'd jumped in the shower, shaved, done teeth, got dressed, made some tea, filled and lobbed a hot water bottle into the car to help with defrosting, come back in and made and ate some breakfast it was already after half eight. But if I'm going to work that day I don't normally watch TV anyway so what Piers is peeing and moaning about is of no relevance to me as I shan't hear it anyway.
itvblocks and London Lite gave kudos
SO
Soupnzi
What keeps me awake (for a few minutes) is wondering which was the worst ever iteration of breakfast on ITV? I’d go for Aled ‘n’ Lorraine’s GMTV-lite version of Daybreak. Just terrible....though the news did start on time (from memory).
BR
Brekkie
Can't work out why the old thread got locked. Wink
CW
CraigWills

Came across this on Twitter and ignoring the content to a certain extent, the location straps has angered the TV presentation geek inside me. Two guests just in general ‘London’, but the other two are specifically in ‘North London’ and ‘South London’. Think it was brought up on here before that Dr. Hilary was at ‘Television Centre’ the other day, while Piers and Susanna were at ‘itvStudios London’. You’d think they would standardised this to keep some consistency.
DK
DanielK

Came across this on Twitter and ignoring the content to a certain extent, the location straps has angered the TV presentation geek inside me. Two guests just in general ‘London’, but the other two are specifically in ‘North London’ and ‘South London’. Think it was brought up on here before that Dr. Hilary was at ‘Television Centre’ the other day, while Piers and Susanna were at ‘itvStudios London’. You’d think they would standardised this to keep some consistency.

Should be a more pronounced border and all the location tags put in the 'crosshairs'.

One another note, the name strap is one or two pixels out to the left and I find that annoying when watching in HD on the TV, same with the pop up tag above the straps stating the name of the segment type.
MA
Meridian AM
Did they need to even use location straps? It made no difference to the debate where they were.
They could at least put a comma between ITV Studios and London!
SW
Steve Williams
I'm glad someone else has mentioned this, I tweeted about it a few months back (not that I'm obsessed with this programme or anything). It's terrible!

As the latest tweeter says as well, if they're all in the same city, why bother mentioning that? Put their names on instead!
DE88, Ittr and Meridian AM gave kudos
AD
adamiow
Or put where they are in London.
DE88 and TVViewer256 gave kudos

Newer posts